Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 10:54:09 PM

V5c

This is a discussion for the topic V5c on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: V5c  (Read 2204 times)

this user is offline Big GP

• Buggy Lord
  • Essex
  • Sidewinder
    • Southern Dune Buggy Club
V5c
on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:54 PM
I recently bought a chassis with a log book.

The car hasn't been on the road for many years.

I sent the document off and yesterday received a letter back asking for a photo of the chassis number. Which isn't a problem but they also want a photo of the car with registration plate and the vin plate too. Now this is an issue as I've only bought the chassis.

What's my best course of action?

this user is online parmaynu

• Buggy Veteran
  • Maidstone, Kent
  • Nuffin
    • Old Skool Parts Shop
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:33 PM
I had that with a chassis I sold last year. They said that they would issue a logbook when the car is complete and inspected. It cost me a small fortune as I had to refund the buyer who had paid to get it to Scotland!
Old Skool Parts Shop

oldskoolpartsshop.com

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
DVLA are getting wise to the advertising of chassis parts and log books as part of their clamping down on car crime and ringing.

Chances are, that if you come clean about it that your are restoring a vehicle, then they may well seize the number and only release it upon inspection of a built up vehicle.

If it were me, I would contact DVLA and explain to them that you are building up a LWB Beach Buggy Kit Car that does not require any chassis modifications and is IVA/SVA exempt and that your deal for the donor vehicle did not include the bodyshell as it was not required and would have been disposed of anyway, and hope that you get to speak to someone who actually understands that this is indeed a legitimate reason to purchase a chassis in this way for this marque of car and conversion.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline mad4slalom

• Buggy Meister
  • Near Newquay, cornwall TR2 4 HB
  • Mk1 manta ray
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:07 PM
DVLA are getting wise to the advertising of chassis parts and log books as part of their clamping down on car crime and ringing.

Chances are, that if you come clean about it that your are restoring a vehicle, then they may well seize the number and only release it upon inspection of a built up vehicle.

If it were me, I would contact DVLA and explain to them that you are building up a LWB Beach Buggy Kit Car that does not require any chassis modifications and is IVA/SVA exempt and that your deal for the donor vehicle did not include the bodyshell as it was not required and would have been disposed of anyway, and hope that you get to speak to someone who actually understands that this is indeed a legitimate reason to purchase a chassis in this way for this marque of car and conversion.
good calmly and well thought out advice from dave dnd as usual  ;-)up

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:37 AM
Good advice a pic of a lwb buggy body may help as not everyone knows what a buggy is, the other thing is beetles did not have vin plates just a chassis number.
As it is a rebodying job a photo including as many beetle parts like axles, trans may help as it has more original donor parts not just a bare pan going by their 10 point rule for keeping a plate.