Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 06:28:30 AM

BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED

This is a discussion for the topic BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED  (Read 60552 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #345 on: April 16, 2020, 06:11:46 PM
Just a word about my 4th fixing point... At the tunnel....

I chopped the chassis by 14.5"....

From it`s original position I cut out the existing seat belt mount point from each side of the central tunnel and fitted it on the re-joined chassis "halves" at a point 14.5" forward of original placemet. This putting them in exactly the same orientation as on the original placement.   

Note well... The fixing is a 7\16" UNF threaded nut welded onto a plate approx" 50 x 50mm plate which is in turn welded to the tunnel itself. So cut a square section out of the tunnel side to give about 25mm tunnel thickness around the inner plate. Cut a hole each side of tunnel in new location and weld fully around all 4 sides of each plate. (I ground the weld flat to surface so you cannot see it has been moved. With hindsight I wish I has left the welds showing.).   Photograph the section when you cut it out to show the twin thickness and the welded nut.  If the examiner cannot see it he will want evidence of what is in there.

Also.... Always always use a tap to clean out the threads of any fixing point before trying to screw the bolt in. If the bolt cannot be screwed in with fingers the threads are not as they should be..   I have seen cast iron structures fractured time and time again because the threads were not cleaned out. Often leaving the job right up the spout,   

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #346 on: April 20, 2020, 07:00:35 PM
Missed this from my electrical write ups....  One of the best things I have seen in cuddies years and works a treat...

I have a manx and the fuel tank lies at an angle. In addition the tank has been carefully battered by a ball pein hammer to allow clearance for steering damper\control rod movement and to give a bit of "elbow room" around steering box head\coupling flange area. (Picture of tank somewhere early in this thread).   This means that the fule gauge sender hasn`t a chance of reading levels correctly when in use.. The nifty device shown in the photo is worth every penny it costs and works very well. It gives you a stable, accurate, fuel level reading and has a "anti slosh" feature although this is not necessary as the gauge is stable. Can be used with our without the standard fuel gauge stabiliser but NOT with any kind of thermal stabiliser. Also has an aux output to connect to a low level indicator lamp or should your buggy have two fuel tanks to switch between one and the other.  ;D Comes with a 0 to 500 ohms linear potentiometer, (variable resistor to allow you to calibrate the unit on "a bench" but I wouldn`t try that. Simply calibrate it with the tank in place on your buggy. (I fortunately have a drain tap at the lowest level of my tank, (required by iva), so it`s very convenient for making calibration straight forward.

Not going into great detail re calibration here. I have the car builder solutions latest version which is as comprehensive as it gets. Also goes into full detail of functions, calibration and additional functions. Be warned however.. it``s one of those documents that you read once and think blimey.. ;D  Ok don`t be put off... Just follow the instructions bit by bit and as you proceed it becomes obvious.. ;D

For calibration\menu indication its uses 4 press buttons and it`s menu selection\calibration response etc is indicated by a flashing led. Just count the number of flashes for the function you are following\calibrating.

You do need to start with a full tank... calibrates at Full, 3\4 Full, Half Full, 1\4 Full and Empty. Just needs a 12v supply pinched from any fused circuit. Current draw is minimal. Doesnt need a permanent live and should work with any linear resistance sender be it fuel or temperature related.

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #347 on: April 27, 2020, 12:24:46 AM
I have used the SPiYDA gauge wizard on a number of projects and its a brilliant little gizmo.

Can get the furl gauge as close to 100% accurate as can be...

Highly recommended.
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #348 on: April 27, 2020, 04:27:17 PM
Agreed Chad....   I borrowed a SPIYDA several years ago when my build was underway just to see what it was like. The owner got it off ebay. Same principle unit.

Got the carbuildersolutions version simply because I had an order going to them. I can recommend both.... To be honest every buggy should have one as it takes out any guessswork as to when you are going to run out of petroleum regardlesss of buggy type or tank shape\orientation.   ;-)up ;-)up

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #349 on: April 30, 2020, 07:02:39 PM
One last post re seat belts until I know all is acceptable...

There is a lot of differing interpretations across nationwide examinations over the years particularly on the necessity for E (e) marked products. Not everyone seems to need to see e marks on , for example, light lens covers, interior mirrors etc but I have become of the opinion that if an item is e marked it is a plus because then there is no argument that it is type approved and complies re- iva as long as fitted in a compliant method.

However seat belts are an exception and have to have complying tags on the webbing of each belt. The tags, (labels), are printed both sides as per the photo.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #350 on: April 30, 2020, 07:35:08 PM
but I have become of the opinion that if an item is e marked it is a plus because then there is no argument that it is type approved and complies re- iva as long as fitted in a compliant method.

Not sure I agree with that one.  My LED headlights have an E mark on them, but there is no way on this planet that they comply and they came from China
Nuff said

:-X
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #351 on: April 30, 2020, 07:44:37 PM
CE also means chinese export.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #352 on: May 01, 2020, 07:51:33 PM
It`s complex.    LED headlights can be compliant providing that they are both of identical "colour" and for some reason, same as halogen, correctly operating headlight washers are fitted.   

this user is offline Speedy

• Beach Buggy
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
  • Manx
Reply #353 on: September 01, 2020, 02:11:29 PM
Hi Paul
I've been reading through your build thread very interesting I'm intrigued with the SVA side of it on one photo it shoes the torsion tube bolted to the end of the floor pan I was wondering why this is part of SVA  :-\
Work hard : play harder

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #354 on: September 03, 2020, 05:23:56 PM
Hi.....  The VW Beetle chassis is very IVA unfriendly.   The standard floorpan halves are not considered suitably strong along the outer ends which is the U channel section. Whilst the Admirals Hat front structure is acceptable the rear is not. So to provide compliance at the rear and along the edge I have added a square section tube and secured it to the cast structure at the rear.  Support is required for the roll hoop also but the square section tube is not sufficient for this purpose. Additional "Stress Plates" are required in 4mm thick steel plate.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #355 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:34 PM
Hi Paul this is what I do if the pan needs work, box welded to tunnel and the outer lip cut off the pan,  so the cross box can be secured to the torsion tube with another angled box section added But not in photo.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #356 on: September 04, 2020, 08:12:58 AM
Keith.....   What you show in the photo is a big step in the right direction for strengthening.   I would recomend this version over what I have done.

Using a single 25mm x 25mm square tube down the channel gives rise to issues further down the line. The twin tube set up you show would have prevented many a headache I have had further down line.

I am currently stuck at status quo for the moment. Covid has really caused me a long long delay. I gave Mike H details of what I needed exhaust pipework wise back in the beginning of May and he has my two silencers. . Mike is back up and fabricating but has pipe bending issue so has been unable to progress my needs just yet. Am  sure he will come through for me as soon as he can.  Take care Paul

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #357 on: November 17, 2020, 08:06:15 PM
A bit of an update....     Mirrors....... one of the high level failures on many a build regardless of base kit.....

(with regard to mirrored glass area minimum dimensions check iva manual for any update).

An offside external mirror is not a mandatory requirement providing that the interior mirror gives a minimum of 70% of unobstructed rearward vision. An offside exterior rear view mirror is mandatory.

In theory mirrors and light lenses do not have to be "E" marked however such markings remove any doubt of compliance provided they are fitted in compliance of details within the manual.

As for an interior mirror the suction cup variety will not be accepted as compliant.

An exterior mirror must meet the 10kg`s "fold back" criteria if the mirror creates the widest point of the vehicle. (There was until very recently a mirror created initially for the Caterham market which complied even if it produced the widest vehicle point. When I tried to order a pair I found that they were discontunued for some reason and do not have a replacement model. Nor could I find any new old stock anywhere).

I have included photo`s below of the mirrors I have fitted but these will need some further thought because of the very specific and not uncomplex requirement quoted in the manual as "rearward field of view". (see photo).

All mirrors must meet radii checks of mirror casing surround. Of stalk and of vehicle fixing section.

My two mirrors are located where I want them as they view through all mirrors should not give a shaky image and mirrors should appear firm and sturdy. (Fitting to windscreen frame isn`t the best idea if you want a full hood and for other considerations). I will come back to mirror set up later.

With regard to the field of view checks the floor space area is immense. Some 20meters wide and some 60 metres. Long See these dimensions and pole positions on the photo.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #358 on: November 17, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
A third photo of offside mirror which I will refer to later on re this subject

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #359 on: November 18, 2020, 10:47:58 AM
Just wondering if you have a roof on a buggy or kit car is the test done with it up and down to check compliance both ways.