Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2018, 03:16:53 AM

BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED

This is a discussion for the topic BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: BIRTH OF A BUGGY CONTINUED  (Read 26041 times)

this user is offline simon-dubman

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
  • Powerbug body with Flip up bonnet
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #195 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:39 AM
A tighter fit than what you have in the picture will allow the weld to be smaller and much neater.
I have done much of this, and I also make templates to ensure the correct figment.

Overall though looking good  8) 8)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #196 on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:17 PM
Simon...... Yes I agree... the tighter the fit the better.... I tried knocking up a "belt notcher" but it was a bit of a jury rigged affair and the roller was a bit undersized. Had to "finish off" with "grinder trying to "cut out" excess from the inner parts.
When I was a youngster at college I remember seeing the apprentices learning to use "templates".   How is this done so that you know it`s right?
When you do this do you try to get the "peak" part of the arch to fit right up to the tube you want it to meet? (Hope that makes some sort of sense).

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #197 on: December 03, 2017, 11:37:37 AM
These days I have software that creates the template for me.
Quick sketch of what you want and size tube you are using and I could easily create the wrap around templates. 1:1 so you just cut them out and draw around them.. far simpler than developing the cuts on paper then working out the angles..

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #198 on: December 03, 2017, 01:00:26 PM
Hi Simon.... Gosh... guess I am truly ancient... Never gave the possibility of pc software programme a thought.  How I wish I had known you could do this. I have the notches done now but I would appreciate a 1:1 of 90 degree notching for future use. It is 50mm pipe, (not tube), so this is actual o\d.
Bet you going to tell me you can create templates for pipe angles other than 90 degrees also... ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

regards Paul

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #199 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:54 PM
Blocklayer.com is useful have printed off there before.

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #200 on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:21 PM
Cheers Keith  ;-)up ;-)up

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #201 on: December 03, 2017, 03:53:09 PM
Hi Paul

The rear engine cage I built was modelled on my software. I created all the templates for what I required. So yes I can give you templates for any size tube to any size tube at which ever angle would be required.

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #202 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04:45 AM
Hi Paul

Link below is to my drop box.. I have added some pdf's for 90, 60, 45 and 30 degree on 50 OD

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/39x09dqtarwi2dw/AAB_maQzCzhggXzmUfPQVxTya?dl=0

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #203 on: December 04, 2017, 10:50:11 AM
Brilliant Simon..... many thanks & have a great Xmas. ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline PUCKSTOPPER

• Hull
Reply #204 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:24 PM
Paul, do you have any pictures of the box section welded at the admirals hat end

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #205 on: January 08, 2018, 08:36:44 AM
Yes... Will upload as soon as I can... Not much to see....  Imagine the box section sat in the floorpan half sections. (In the U shaped hollow. 25 x 25mm sits in neatly. Unfortunately an ideal fit would be channel 30\35 mm wide but this is not a standard size).   

So cut the channel length a good 6inches longer at the back. Channel sits in U section a little wobbly because of the pan indents but nothing to cause a problem. At admirals hat end but tube right up. Full weld along the  edge facing you if all upside down. . There is room to get a tig nozzle between the tube and the floorpan U sides. Weld each side as far down into channel as you can . Then simply weld between the box section and each side of the U section. I had a pro welder do this but having watched him do this the gap on each side fills easily and gives a very neat result. I noticed he ensured that most of the heat went into the box section. I chose to weld approx every 600mm. Catch the bend points in the box section with a longer stretch of weld either side.

Took great care to end up with the box section parallel to the ground so that the holes drilled through the box ended up vertical and centred on both top and bottom. (Chose 8.5mm cobalt bit well lubricated).

• Hull
Reply #206 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:08 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply look forward to the pictures

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #207 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:02 AM
Well I have said it before but am going to say it again. If you are embarking on a new buggy build or a revamp of an existing one give it as much thought as possible right at the beginning.
As my buggy will be going through IVA the windscreen needs to show viable demisting. I chose to go along the route of "heated windscreen" rather than two mini electric blowers embedded in the dashboard top.
Chose a particular supplier who supplies the guys going the FIA route and comes highly recommended.
The order was placed last November and it was delivered last week. I chose delivery rather than collection due the long round trip by road. They would only ship by their method of packaging and courier source and the cost was extensive. (I couldn`t get the time off work to do the road trip).
The requirement for "windscreen glass" for IVA is to have the EU approved details applied between the two glass panes prior to laminating. (Sticker not acceptable and couldn`t get definitive response from vosa re-etching).

Look at the photo and see why I start this post saying think ahead as much as possible and then think a second time. (Yes you need these rows of lettering for a windscreen to be fully road legal).

Paid the shipping only to find the windscreen was cut and fitted with heating elements and EU details by a company located at Tyneside...right on my doorstep. I could have picked it up from there and got back home in an hour and it would not have had the "suppliers" mark up on it. Oh well it`s only money and I can always declare myself bankrupt.  ;D ;D ;D

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #208 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:13 AM
Hoping I am about to fit the windscreen mounting seal on correctly orientated.
Think, as seen in photo, laid like this if looking at buggy offside.

• Hull
Reply #209 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:24 PM
Hi Paul,

Do you mind me asking what you paid for the heated screen

Thanks

Kevin