Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2018, 10:50:53 AM

Island Fugitive

This is a discussion for the topic Island Fugitive on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Island Fugitive  (Read 9334 times)

this user is offline fugglededumm

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #120 on: March 14, 2018, 12:10:35 AM
Finally some progress! After over a month of research and head scratching I think I've cracked it.
 Laser cut Ali plates are ordered, I know how to lengthen the shaft and have all the parts, I have a plan for using the MX5 intermediate bearing and oil seal on the VW shaft. I know how to attach the chopped MX5 bell housing to the plates  - bolted up the test MDF plate and it all fits. :D

Next up engine mounts, finish the exhaust then cooling and intake. I'll do the shaft and find a clutch plate when I pull it out for final weld up and paint.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #121 on: March 14, 2018, 07:31:09 AM
Good news there then ;-)up

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #122 on: March 25, 2018, 07:10:59 PM
Beginning to look a bit more like an engine swap!

Bought a used alloy rad off a Lexus with the outlets in the right place,  a conveniently built in expansion tank and twin fans - so that's next when it arrives.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #123 on: March 28, 2018, 11:52:55 PM
Lexus fan club

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #124 on: March 29, 2018, 08:09:58 AM
Looks very purposeful and in the rail there is plenty of air flow for the radiator. Must be nearing the test drive stage.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #125 on: March 29, 2018, 11:28:56 AM
Thanks. That was what I was aiming for!
 Optimistically a month at least before it's moving, this is really just getting the big chunks mounted. Soon I'll be stripping it all out again for weld up, paint and proper assembly of the drive line. Then its the electrics - which may take a while. 

this user is offline Keithmanx

• Thatcham, Berkshire
Reply #126 on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:14 PM
looking good!

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #127 on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:35 AM
Ran into an issue with my plan to sleeve/extend the shaft so had to buy the Weddle one - anyway, drilled, milled and tapped the plates and now finally assembled. Engine mount positions to finalise next.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #128 on: April 20, 2018, 02:24:40 PM
Quick update

Frame in and painted - coat of Alu-zinc stuff then TS topcoat.

Shortened the fuel pump and pick up, cut the tank and mounted (the pick  up is angled so this puts it in the middle)

Just got to replace the crank seal and pilot bearing and the engine can be finally fitted.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #129 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39:37 AM
Update (or why I am not at Stoneleigh)..
The engine is in and bolted up, new alt on, fully welded up the exhausts (and flanges so I can take it apart again), put the clutch on with 1.5mm spacers on the pressure plate - no pics as it looks pretty much like the dry fit a few posts ago.

Now on to the wiring. - Fortunately I carefully labelled everything when I stripped the car - then a year later I carefully collected a small pile of labels that fell off.. ::)

Blue tape means "probably not needed".
This is the engine, main and battery looms connected. I want to get it running, make sure the clutch/fuel/exhaust/cooling/gearbox all works - (which it probably won't first time) - before I start stripping any wires out. This engine worked fine 2 years ago, so it should work now - if it doesn't one of those wires is wrong. :-\

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #130 on: May 12, 2018, 08:35:08 PM
Less bling, more Mad Max

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #131 on: May 15, 2018, 09:16:30 PM

this user is online Johnthesparky

• North Bucks
  • UVA fugitive 4
Reply #132 on: May 15, 2018, 09:40:25 PM
Have you driven it yet?

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #133 on: May 16, 2018, 12:08:35 AM
Not with the new engine - I only got it started yesterday (immobiliser issue) and there is 25kg of wiring loom where the seats used to be. Soon as I can clear that lot off (snip, snip!) next test will be if my hacked together clutch and gearbox works...

My drive is a 30 degree slope down to a single track road - I need to be confident it will drive back up. Also need new seatbelt mounts and to join the MX5 loom with the one I built. Week-10 days before it is drive-able assuming no big issues.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • IOW
  • UVA Fugitive
Reply #134 on: May 25, 2018, 09:33:46 PM
Snip snip...