Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 04:36:12 AM

2.0 Litre CU Engine Options - Decisions Decisons ?

This is a discussion for the topic 2.0 Litre CU Engine Options - Decisions Decisons ? on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: 2.0 Litre CU Engine Options - Decisions Decisons ?  (Read 1042 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 04:45:58 PM
Standard lump with twin carbs would sufice nicely in a buggy, seems strange the old 1700 LE lump from the type 4 variant/fast back was 90 bhp in standard form not ure what the 412 LE motor put out but guessing they must be very different to the T25 motors although they look alike.

You could always swap sides and go water pumper from a subaru and get even more power.

this user is offline evilsea

• Beach Buggy
  • Stamford
  • East Coast Manx 1911cc type 4
Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 05:17:48 PM
I think most of the problems with the heads were that they overheated and then dropped the valve seat. This I believe is not a problem with the new AMC heads. The only issue with getting new heads is the cost....as with everything type 4

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 05:27:00 PM
Standard lump with twin carbs would sufice nicely in a buggy, seems strange the old 1700 LE lump from the type 4 variant/fast back was 90 bhp in standard form not ure what the 412 LE motor put out but guessing they must be very different to the T25 motors although they look alike.

You could always swap sides and go water pumper from a subaru and get even more power.

I keep thinking about the Subaru conversion, and you may recall I came very close a few years back - But I must confess that I quite like the physical shape and look of the T25 lump I have in the back now - and once I get those Dells running properly, and possibly a bit of reworking on the exhaust, it is still going to perform very well, even if left as a standard block.

I think most of the problems with the heads were that they overheated and then dropped the valve seat. This I believe is not a problem with the new AMC heads. The only issue with getting new heads is the cost....as with everything type 4

I have had people tell me about the valve seats dropping out, which always sounded a bit strange. But after reading up on the bad advice everyone is being given about incompatible upgrades and just bolting stuff on, I can now see how the problem of overheating can rear its ugly head very easily, and I suppose that could theoretically cause the seats to drop out.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Beach Buggy
  • Stamford
Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 08:06:17 PM
Its to do with rapid heat increase in the head and because the seats are a different material the head expands and the seat drops. Dont know how AMC have addressed this but they surely have. Basically the lump was designed to power a bus. HAve you got the Dellorto Superformance book for your dells, its a really useful publication.

this user is offline madmatt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • bath/frome
  • sidewinder
Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 08:44:52 PM
See what I'm on about. Read these posts and my brain is spaghetti  ! ::)
The more you know,the more you know you don't know

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #35 on: September 06, 2016, 10:28:38 PM
See what I'm on about. Read these posts and my brain is spaghetti  ! ::)

Think how I feel . . . .   I`ve been trawling VZi   ::)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:23 AM
Well, thanks to everybody`s input, suggestions and links, I think I have now arrived at a decision.

;)

It certainly sounds like the CU T25 engine can be turned into a bit of a screamer with some careful (and expensive) top and bottom end work with a thoughtful choice of cam and components, and if you put it in anything other than a non-aerodynamic camper, then it may actually give results rather than overheating and melting it all.

:-\

But I think I am now going to play it safe and rebuild this particular engine back to its standard form. Everybody reckons the CU to be a bulletproof engine, with minimal maintenance due to the hydraulic lifters, and it only seems to become fragile at the top end if you do not know what you are doing and start messing about with it. The bottom end I have has already been stripped and inspected by Rob, so I think I am going to stick a brand new set of Mahle 1970cc standard barrels and pistons in there, just to get it back to factory spec. Its still a 2 liter lump in a lightweight Buggy, and if Rob can get my Dells working properly (fingers crossed), then along with a decent exhaust system, its still going to be fairly rapid and reliable.

;-)up

However . . . 
There will soon be a bottom end coming out of the Buggy that is completely shagged and will also need a major strip and rebuild. For that engine I now have some plans, as it makes more sense mess about with that one over time and keep the standard one as my reliable spare.

:D
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Beach Buggy
  • Stamford
Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 03:29:19 PM
Most wise  ;-)up

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 04:27:48 PM
Dave, Dave, Dave, just get all those performance parts in a case, through the whole lot in the back of your buggy, and set off on a road trip across europe.  What could possibly go wrong?  :-\  You know you want to.

• Beach Buggy
  • Stamford
Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 04:50:56 PM
Dave, Dave, Dave, just get all those performance parts in a case, through the whole lot in the back of your buggy, and set off on a road trip across europe.  What could possibly go wrong?  :-\  You know you want to.
like your style

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 10:51:41 PM

We are after a trouble free trip in 2017 after this years  few minor problems we encountered so no throwing things in a case and hoping for the best   ::)

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 10:55:41 PM
I would just be happy to drive to a show and drive back again without breaking down, as haven`t managed it at all this year  :'(

An entire trouble free 2017 is far too much to hope for at the moment   :-[

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline madmatt

• Buggy Obsessed
  • bath/frome
  • sidewinder
Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 01:37:04 PM
Best of luck,after going through the engine build link on my topic. How about a t25 diesel ?
The more you know,the more you know you don't know