Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 08:44:11 AM

Crank grinding and cylinder honing services in the Midlands

This is a discussion for the topic Crank grinding and cylinder honing services in the Midlands on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Crank grinding and cylinder honing services in the Midlands  (Read 1129 times)

this user is offline ben_w

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Guys,

I fully expect that my Corvair cylinders are gonna need honing and the crank may either need polishing or a grind.

Does anyone know of anywhere good in the midlands that would be able to undertake this work?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:19:21 PM by ben_w »

6 Pots...stuff your bhp, torque is king

Green Sidewinder with a 6 pot lump

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:24:43 PM
cheaper to buy a honing tool I should think then sell it on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-ENGINE-CYLINDER-HONE-TOOL/dp/B001LQQS0S

as for crank regrinders up your way I have no idea but be prepared for 10-12 a journal as the lower end price.

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:49 PM
Cheers Snoopy. That's not too bad a price actually.

this user is offline Shaggy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • midlands
  • Limited edition Californian
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:32 PM
i got honers here mate. plus spare stones
I'm in my buggy,
It's raining,
I really don't care.

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:28:00 PM
Hi Ben, a chap at Walcote does them for me!. He charges me 10 a journal. And his mate at the same workshop does balancing and lightning for flywheels, cranks and rods; so he is only 5miles from you.

I have never had cylinders honed!. I use course emery to scratch through the glaze or rub a bit of rust off, if a quick rub does not clean them up; then personally I think they want a rebore!.

I used to like RMES in Rugby for machine work but they shut down and WARDS moved into their workshop but I have never thought much to them and their work. So now I use Knight Engine Services, just down the A5 at Nether Hayford (just past Weedon) for rebores, head skimming, fly-cutting, machining cases for bigger barrels.

Rob

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:12 PM
Rob,

Very useful to know, thanks for that.

Was hoping a Harmonic Balancer hub puller i ordered on Monday would be here today so i could get the pulley off and finally split the case and get a good look at the crank but its not turned up a of yet... :(

Once its all apart, ill pop over with the bits and see what you think.

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:34:09 PM
My lifters for my camshaft still have not come in  >:( I ordered them in November and they sent the wrong one's. They had to order the new one's from America via Germany but they still don't no when they will get here. This is from your friends at status vw!.

I knew I should of got them off ebay lol but I didn't know how much messing there would be getting them from America with the import taxes.  :'( :'(

I have blown about 200 today on jets, venturi etc for my carbs, such fun. Have you got an idea of what carbs you will run on yours?

Catch you later Rob

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
Not at the minute Rob, no.

Ill either find a pair of original GM Rochester carbs and refurb and run those or ill convert to a single, larger centrally mounted Webber or something.

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:38 AM
Sorry Ben, didn't see your last post!. I havn't got one sorry. The trouble is that's there so many different pullers, even when you buy one you can bet the next time you need one it will not work on your new job; so only get used once lol.

Rob

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 10:56:28 AM
No worries Rob.

I ordered one Monday that was supposed to be coming by Royal Mail first class recorded so should have been here yesterday at the latest. Still not here now, they haven't given me a tracking number and I'm rather annoyed.