Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 06:14:42 AM

PowerBug Well a replica of one

This is a discussion for the topic PowerBug Well a replica of one on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: PowerBug Well a replica of one  (Read 7792 times)

this user is offline simon-dubman

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
  • Powerbug body with Flip up bonnet
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 07:39:30 AM
Forward to June 2015:

After fitting the alternator of which i thank Dave DND as i stole his idea to tension the belt.  ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up
I also bought some CSP J tubes and an Empi dual exhaust (Temp)

Then disaster  :'( :( >:( I snapped a valve. I have no history with this engine as i picked it up from a work colleague who had it an an airfield ready to build it to timber frame craft. It was in boxes and looked hideous. just a block nothing else.

Piston was a little scuffed  ;) and Farmer Rob suggested i should try it as is and see how it goes. So new Valve acquired and re install the motor

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 07:42:02 AM
Middle of August 2015

Time to sort out that damn tank

Filler neck bought now needs welding in.

Along with the old filler neck to close up as no longer needed.

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:26 PM
As of the current situation January 2017

Over the past few weeks and couple of months the weather has been rubbish on a weekend so no chance of playing on the Motorbikes. So my attention switched to the House, Beetle and Buggy

Wiring: Just about all complete  :D looks like a rats nest though  :P but functional. Indicators, Lights rear and brakes all work.. Headlights need looking at probably put a wire wrong somewhere.

Engine fires up and runs nice.. Just replaced some push rod tube seals as i caught a couple on the build  :(

So new Dizzy, Red Belts, Fuel tank painted, all LED's wired and resistors in place.

Mini Wiper boxes installed

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 08:12:27 PM
Looking good  ;-)up

this user is offline Manxrod

• Buggy Meister
  • Cullompton Devon
  • Myers Manx. MK1GP swb
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Very cool ;-)up
make it if you can.

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30:29 PM
Hi Simon,  I just noticed you were looking at options for fastening your opening bonnet down. I have an opening bonnet identical to yours and use a low tech but invisible method to hold the bonnet down. I use a pair of stainless bonnet springs like these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Bonnet-Boot-Springs-Kitcar-Westfield-Tiger-Mk-Indy-Locost-/152011146813?hash=item236492063d:g:SX0AAOSwv9hW4fR6

The springs are attached using a couple of brackets to the inspection plate in the middle of the front beam, The hooks that they latch onto are fitted to a piece of angle aluminium which is bolted to the bonnet itself. Those bolts also serve to attach the numberplate mounting bracket on the outside of bonnet. So once the numberplate is fitted nothing can be seen. Its a simple solution but works really well.

Paul

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:34:20 PM by Merscury »
Have fun. Be lucky

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:35 PM
Hi Paul

That looks interesting. Do you open your bonnet to fill with Fuel? If so how easy is it to open with that method?

Still in thought mode trying to think of a good design that will work for access to fuel tank.. I don't want to punch a hole in the bonnet.

thanks

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:17 PM
That looks a good solution, I reckon if you reversed it so that the bit you unclip was at the beam end rather than the bonnet end that wouldnt be too hard to open to refuel.
Would still fit a secondary hold down, dont have a photo and cant get buggy out at the moment so will try to describe what I have done.

Got a length of incredibly strong nylon cord, some eyelets and a clip (all from a boat chandler)
Fit an anchor (not a boat anchor  :D ) to the bonnet and tie a length of cord to it with an eyelet if required, fit the clip to the end of it.
Fit an anchor point to the car and either clip to that or use another cord with an eyelet for the clip.

On mine I have an eyelet fitted that lets the bonnet open a few inches, far enough to unclip it, and another that is left clipped that lets the bonnet open enough to fill but not slam back on the screen.  But mines a Doon and the bonnet opens differently so the long cord stows OK

Being a bit anal I also have a standard latch to let it part open as in a daily bonnet, a Scirrocco spring latch and a bent stainless catch plate

Hope that made sense
Dave
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:27 PM
Cheers Dave

Would it be wise to fit Struts to the bonnet? so it would not open as far as the screen?

I also have fitted mini wiper motor and arms but on the dry screen they don't work  >:( the Beetle one will not fit as i would need to modify the frame holding the dash section.

its not wired through a relay as i have a durite wiper switch.

I have ordered the springs as Paul shows on his i can fab something to attach to beam easily enough.

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 02:59:20 PM
Hi Paul

That looks interesting. Do you open your bonnet to fill with Fuel? If so how easy is it to open with that method?

Still in thought mode trying to think of a good design that will work for access to fuel tank.. I don't want to punch a hole in the bonnet.

thanks

I used to open the bonnet to fill with fuel but have since fitted a flap in bonnet, With the hooks attached at the front on the bonnet, it's really easy to unhook the springs, there's enough room to put your hand in from side at the same height as the hooks.  Here's a photo of the fuel flap I did. I also made a stay to hold the bonnet up when open, much better than having to rest it on the windscreen,

Have fun. Be lucky

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 03:22:55 PM
I used to just prop the bonnet open on a bit of spare shower rail with a grommet in each end, learned the hard way when a gust of wind blew it back into the screen and smashed the screen
Still use the shower rail
Hydraulics would be good if you have room for them, otherwise a bonnet stay like on the daily. depends on the room you have 
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 03:33:50 PM
Good point.. Room. will check when i go in garage later. i had to modify the tank to make it fit.

Few jobs to do this weekend then.

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:10 PM
Rear Cage made and fitted

not had much chance to do much on buggy recently.
Wipers were a Bast**d but they now work. no park but who needs that its all the fun trying to make the arms stop where you want them.

Jobs left to do then.

Washer bottle wire it in. check all works then possibly MOT time.   :-\ :-\ :-\

this user is offline Leebow

• Buggy Addict
  • Macclesfield
  • Sidewinder(the Kermit)
Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 09:31:22 PM
Good luck with the mot mate hopefully c u at some shows  ;-)up

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 09:13:54 AM
Well the buggy got through an MOT.. Though only done about 60 miles in it. That was 2 years ago. Since then it has sat either in the garage or on the drive.
It starts up fine until you want to move. Carbsa probably gummed up with crap. Need taking off and cleaning. MOT maybe next year and use a little more