Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:28:23 AM

PowerBug Well a replica of one

This is a discussion for the topic PowerBug Well a replica of one on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: PowerBug Well a replica of one  (Read 7793 times)

this user is offline simon-dubman

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
  • Powerbug body with Flip up bonnet
    • dubhauschesterfield
on: August 05, 2015, 01:36:20 PM
I did not start out to build a buggy as i purchased an imported South African Griffen conversion convertible beetle. 1968 when it came off the production line and registered in the UK 1972. one of my friends owned this car for some years and it had been sat in the garden neglected and slowly rotting away. As i have owned a beetle since 1997 i decided i would purchase it and put it back on the road. The body was in a poor state, the hood was also in very poor state. It had king and link pin front beam with a rotten frame head. i removed the body and got to work on the restoration, first job was the rotten frame head. Now sporting balljoint frame head, i replaced the floors both sides. Then another project came in so this project got shelved.

2013 i decided i would build a buggy with the beetle floorpan and set about looking for a shell. I saw one on Ebay Mid Norfolk Moulders and bought it. 2 weeks later i drove down to Norfolk to collect the shell. i then shortened the chassis and started the project.  ;-)up

This project is not moving very fast as i travel with my job and as you can imagine other things also get in the way. Plus its a bit of fun building it.

i will add some photos when i find them all.

So project so far

Floor shortened
Roll cage built
Engine (well this was a pain as i acquired an 1800cc block pictures to follow)
windscreen fitted
Wheels (Weller)
Dropped spindles with Discs
Rear 4 stud drums
Steering column shortened and fitted.
Currently making a dashboard from Aluminium which i will no doubt spray with some metal flake

i have already found the forum very helpful and all the members are very friendly.   I will add pictures of the project as and when

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:59:26 PM
You sound a model new member - keen, knowledgeable and pretty capable of the mechanics.

You'll get buckets of help with lashings of humour on the good ship SS Beach Buggy Info, so I look forward to your pictures, updates and ocassional moans (to show you're human and you have a normal buggy that has regular 'issues' !)
Hugh

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:19:03 PM
Thanks Hugh

Moaning is what i do best  :D.

i am just uploading to Photobucket so should have some pic's up soon.. not took any lately as i am working some stuff out.
I would like to know if its possible to get the cones the headlights fit to.. As my buggy does not have any  :'( 

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:00 PM
the first pic when i got it home

Photo a little grainy

Shortened floor pan painted

Rolling Chassis sort of

i decided i needed a Roll Cage so i built one from Stainless Steel

Dirty Engine.. may require some help later with this.. Although it is now rebuilt and in the buggy

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 04:15:13 PM
An interesting set of photos, keep up the good work.
Guessing it is registered as an imported convertible vw/kit car on the V5 any photos of the original build.

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:25:58 PM
hey Snoopy unfortunately the V5 says VW saloon  :'( :'( I spoke to DaveDND couple of weeks back.

Dashboard nearly done just need to finish welding the Ali then mount it to the roll cage.

And of course paint it and fit the speedo and Rev counter as well as switches.

coming along slowly

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:57 AM
Few more pics

Engine pics:

Will finish off the dashboard over the weekend. Well holes etc. and get it ready to be mounted to the cage.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:53:15 PM
I did mention to them when they were making these moulds that there's nowhere to mount the headlights but they seem to have ignored me. It'd be a great shell to add one of Mussy's opening bonnets on though! The T4 engine fits great in the rear cut-out, nice one.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Nosebolt

• Bristol
  • 1969 Powerspeed Powerbug
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 10:38:46 PM
the powerbug shouldnt have headlight mounts like the GP etc, the lights were moulded into the bonnet
BTW I have an original powerbug missing the original bonnet for now
I sort out some pics if anyone wants

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:02:11 AM
yes i gather the powebug did have moulded headlights. i'm not a purist and i picked the shell from Norfolk mouldings who have removed the lights from the bonnet and didnt apply the cones for lights. i guess they wanted it to look like a GP. Anyhow i now have a flip up bonnet Muzzy made and that is fitted. the project is nearly complete. my profile pic shows the bonnet now with lights.

thanks for the info maybe you out to post on the for sale about the bonnet. I saw some guys looking for shells recently and if they buy one from where i did may want correct shell.

Simon

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:37 AM
didn't realise it was so long since i updated this. so here goes.

So the engine went and i needed a started and some other items plus wiring!!

coil was needed

I fabricated the dash then decided i didn't like

I was in a quandry about the headlights as the shell did not come with cones to mount them. (Later found out it was a Powerbug and should have had them in the bonnet) I nearly modified the shell to accommodate them. But then Manx David mentioned Muzzy was making flip open bonnets.

I had to graft in the dash area to the shell this was easy but had to measure and measure, then prop and sand and glass.. so was high for a hour or so.

The the bonnet would not close as the tank needed to be modified. so i cut it to make the bonnet fit (Tank had been empty for appox 10 years and no fuel cap.

I bought some LED rear lights and fitted them in situ

On recommendation i also picked up some 7" lights for the front Stainless bowls etc.

Looks a little odd ball

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 07:13:48 AM
Time of year is now about Xmas 2015 and as i am a miserable old gimmer i hate xmas so every year i spend time in my garage playing with projects.

As the new bonnet was black and the buggy was red i decided i would paint it. But not just paint it but flake it  ;-)up never done this before so hit youtube and ordered some flake. I had loads of clear as my old man used to get it from work for spraying trucks.

More lacquer to be added here but you get the picture

Not content with the standard red fan housing, i removed it and the paint again and sprayed it black and then decided to throw some red flake at that also.  ;D

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 07:17:27 AM
Now coming to the end of Jan 2015

Body back on and cage had to be altered as the dash would no longer fit correctly and the seats would not fit in either.. The ant roll bar is no longer fitted as advice came fast it will make the car handle like crap

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 07:22:34 AM
Feb 2015 :

After looking at how high the hoop was (Massive) it needed to be changed. So the thing came out and i changed it.

The cage had been modified and still had the side bars welded to it with a hoop under dash and a bracket for the steering column.

• Buggy Addict
  • Chesterfield
    • dubhauschesterfield
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 07:32:04 AM
We are now in May 2015  >:(

Not much work had gone on the buggy as i had painted the bonnet on my van.. Flaked it too

And one of my mates brought his T2 van to be painted. So buggy was pushed out and ignored.  :-[

As you can see i had fitted the LED indicators and made more changes to the rear hoop