Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 09:29:35 PM

Engine rebuild - What would you consider essential to replace?

This is a discussion for the topic Engine rebuild - What would you consider essential to replace? on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Engine rebuild - What would you consider essential to replace?  (Read 896 times)

this user is offline ben_w

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Guys,

Im almost at the point where the Corvair motor is split down into its components and the case will be split sortly.

Now the Corvair engine is remarkably similar to the VW engine in terms of layout etc, the only difference being it has 2 more cylinders and an Aluminium case which, unlike the VW cases, doesnt suffer from 'pounding' of the bearing seats and the resulting end float.

Its slightly more unusual to split a case during a 'Vair rebuild but mine needs it. Given this level of rebuild, what parts would you consider to be essential to replace? Clearly it will need a complete gasket set, im wondering if its worth putting new bearings in (size dependant on if the crank needs any work) etc.

Any thoughts please guys?

6 Pots...stuff your bhp, torque is king

Green Sidewinder with a 6 pot lump

this user is offline chrisbarker

• Buggy Lord
  • Abinger Dorking
  • lwb gt
would normally say replace bearings but i remember seeing on Jonathan site that its 35 a big end :( and you will need 6 of the buggers so reuse where ever possible ;-)up
the arc built by Amateurs,the titanic built by professionals nuff said

this user is offline BEELZEDUB

• Buggy Lord
  • northants
  • Vulture???????
    • vintage volkshaus custom exhausts
I would change everything bearing wise, why risk a failure.

this user is offline farmer rob

• Buggy Meister
  • northants
  • SWB Rat
Hi Ben, the photo's of your crank looked a bit rusty! but that doesn't mean it is spoilt. If it is not worn, it can sometimes be cleaned up and polished and will be ok.If it was that dry as it looked, the shell bearings often get scratched up getting them to pieces. Is the bottom end on your other one interchangeable?

You can bring your bits round and I will have a look at them if you like!

Rob

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Rob, thanks for that.

The crank is gonna get a dose of electrolysis. That should fix any rust.

The engine doesn't turn over as a couple of pistons are stuck to the liners at the min. I'm hoping the crank will be fine. The other engine is different and the parts not interchangeable.

As soon as I've got it apart, ill bring it over. Waiting on a harmonic balancer puller to arrive before I can split the case and get a look at the crank and cam

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
This guy started with an engine in very much the same state as mine....

http://www.hainesengineering.com/rhaines/corvair.htm#disassembly

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
replacing the bearings would be sensible as it will last longer also worth swapping the cam for a reversed one so it runs the right way for the vw box but a new cam really needs new followers.

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Snoopy, I have thought about that. The reverse gear isn't cheap though, approx $650....