Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2018, 10:53:14 AM

International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd  (Read 15001 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 10:51:13 PM
The Morning After:

After such a late night, knowing that breakfast was to be served at 08:30, you can appreciate it was a fairly subdued affair. You can imagine our surprise then, to find these two fully awake, and still having a great laugh over breakfast. Blimey, not sure what these two were taking last night, but I wish I had been offered some too.

Sandra had arisen - and had a few suspicious moustaches dotted about - I wonder what people were doing to leave them there?

Same could be said for Lee, (as Flags was wearing that one last night) - Had he disgraced himself with Terry and Karen he wondered ?

Of course, it went without saying that the Northern Crew would be flat out

But in fairness, the Midlands and South Western Crew were no better off either

Everybody was absolutely knackered, and Jayson was overheard to ask where the peg had come from that he had just woken up with

Some were sat around the campsite, but in near silence

Like many others here, I had quite a buzzing going around my head

But I blamed it on the guys circling above

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:33:17 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 11:02:33 PM
The Long Slow Walk:

With everyone flat out, I thought it time to take a little look around the campsite at some of the cars that were here, and one of the first things I noticed was actually this really cool tent.

It even came with sound effects, as it sounded like a knackered engine with a blown exhaust   ;D

Also really nice to see so many good quality Beetles here - they seem to have vanished from the shows back home in favour of campers

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:33:40 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
Waking Up:

Slowly the campsite is starting to wake up, but no movement over at Team-X

I remember this one from last year, looks like it came from a seventies sci-fi film - very cool  ;-)up

Unusual to find a Peugeot 203 amongst us - but I must admit to never having seen one before

They do like their engine swaps over here - some choices are very obvious as to what they are though

For instance, a Subaru conversion is very easy to spot

I think this one may have been Arno`s car, as saw him cruising about in it a fair bit

And the Ford Twin Cam is quite an unusual choice, although I would imagine gives great performance

The heads say EMPI, but absolutely no idea what this engine is - cannot identify it at all  :-\

I remember building a model of an Alba Buggy when I was a little kid - always brings back memories

Blimey - this is one of those Apals that I saw the bodyshell of earlier - Didn`t expect to see one of these

And its growing on me even more - I really like this

And you could do an awful lot with that interior - look at all that space

Nicely done, but seems very small compared with the Monster General that we know back home in the Uk

Charmed, I`m sure !  ;D    You pulled the same face last year when I was walking about  :D

Awesome airbrushing on this one, but still has a very dull engine area that just doesn`t do it justice

Pat Masters is obviously awake, and trying to sell his Kangoo

They do seem to like these little oddities too

A few variations on a theme

I guess the enclosed engine area makes them more acceptable to the powers that be over here too

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:34:10 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:00 PM
All Creatures Great And Small:

I know we all have Buggies for fun, but some do have a really "purposeful" look about them

I mean that you can imagine this being a true workhorse that would always get you there

Whilst this one looks like it would be unbreakable

In fact, if Tonka still made Buggies, I reckon they would look like this one - I like this very much

Which is more than I could say for this one that arrived on air suspension

Sorry, but what a waste of a Buggy - really didn`t do it for me at all

Hang on a minute, there is a big Police van pulling into the campsite, I reckon I know what that is for and time to find the others

;-)up
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:36:26 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
Where shall we go today chaps?:

Camp GB was fairly easy to spot from just about anywhere

Karen and Donna were chilling out

Lee was trying to fix a broken fuel gauge, and ended up fixing his indicators instead

Something tells me that we were not helping him much  ;D

Snoopy and Allan were trying to work out on their sat navs where to go today, as they didn`t think that Patricks plans for a 100+ Buggy cruise would stay together, especially as we had really struggled at times to keep a dozen of us in sight of each other.

And then I was able to tell them something that they had not realised. The Police van was there to start the cruise off, and from what I had learned from Arno was that there would also be outriders dotted around the town so that we could form one long procession. This sounded awesome and needed no further discussions.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:36:45 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 05:30:25 PM
Earthquake:

And no sooner had we decided to participate, when the worlds largest traffic jam suddenly descended upon us as the entire campsite got ready to line up. The sound of all these Buggies raring to go was literally making the ground vibrate - it is a noise that will stay with me forever

As we passed the Campsite Control point, we were given some very basic instructions about blocking off roads, letting everybody past and then joining at the back. It sort of made sense what they were trying to say, but how they did it was actually way above expectations.

This was it - our drive down the campsite entrance and into the unknown, and the first road out had been blocked by the Police for us  ;-)up

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:37:02 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 06:55:36 PM
Out for a Cruise:

If you were in Dilsen Stokkem or the surrounding area on Sunday and wanted to go out in your car, then unless you were a Buggy - forget it.

Driving Patricks car was Toon, and he manged to keep over 100 cars together perfectly for around 30Km and that is some feat  8)

We cruised through some of the roads at the edge of the town, and it was like driving through a model village

I had a whole load of Buggies behind me

And it soon became apparent how this was to work out. As we approached a junction, Toon would wave and point to the side of the road he wanted blocking, and whichever car was behind him would park across the traffic whilst we all drove past. They would then join at the rear.

That line of buggies behind me is just getting longer and longer

We are now entering the bit of countryside between the villages

Oh WOW !  Just spotted the view in my mirror - Never seen that many Buggies  8)

Toon waves his hand, and another car blocks the road - this is a really simple way of controlling traffic

And Buggies in front as far as you can see too

Its a really nice drive out, with everybody enjoying it

I recognise some of these Buggies too

The car in front of me is now blocking the road, meaning that the next junction is mine

And now I see how the rest of it works, as bringing up the rear is Arno. When all the cars have passed, he lets in the one blocking the road and remains at the rear. Very clever guys, I am most impressed.

And the Buggies just keep on coming

And this vehicle spells nothing but trouble. At the rear of Nigels car are what I thought to be two large LPG tanks, but I`m not so sure that the devious mind of Fiona and the swine that is Pat Masters have not turned this into a mobile water bowser. Sorry, am I being a little harsh on Mr Masters, the guy you see here with a small water pistol in his hand? Hmm . . . . .

Well, It was my turn to pull over just as that mobile water cannon drove past and Pat managed to unload what felt like several gallons of cold water square at my knackers with such a force that it shot up the leg of my shorts, around my bum and squirted halfway up my back. Pat - You are a git!

But you got me bloody good there mate - I was absolutely soaked.  ;D

Snoopys turn to pull over and let 100 Buggies go past

People drove past frantically shouting and waving -

Hazel was determined to take more pictures than Vanessa, ( but believe me, it ain`t gonna happen kid !! )  ::)

It must have looked like the Autobahns of the fifties

The tarmac had run out and we were now driving on very smooth and very dusty roads

All you could hear over the sound of 100 Buggy exhausts was the sounds of the cyclists coughing a lung up   ;D

We had created one hell of a dust storm in rural Belgium

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:37:15 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 10:55:33 PM
A breath of fresh air:

We pull over at the side of the dusty track , probably because its getting quite hard to see anything

I don`t think I have ever seen such a long line of people coughing and choking, oh, and quite a few cars too

Looking at the state of my car, I think Clem caught a lucky break by not coming, as I understand it took him nearly six months to scrub the grains of sand out of his tyres from parking on the beach last year as seen on the June Picture of this years Calendar - all this dust would have made his head explode

Even Flags reckoned he could cross a dessert in a tank without getting this much dust on him

Pat is worried because he cannot see me, and he has a big target on his back - X marks the spot    :D

Back at Camp GB Allan Vanessa is going to have his her work cut out cleaning this lot off   ::)

Not sure the cyclists are very impressed with us - they were all reckoning on a quiet Sunday out cycling in the fresh air  ;D

Dirty Car with Dirty Girl and a Dirty great grin - That was fun  ;-)up

After a short stop, we find ourselves driving through the cobbled streets of a sleepy little town

It would appear that most of the local traffic has now given up and admitted defeat

People are just stood staring at us, and they simply cannot believe what they are seeing

If this had been the UK, we would all be revving our exhausts with buildings this close together, but its not the way here

Looks as though we are now heading out of the town on the main road

And I cannot believe how Patrick pulled this next bit off    :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:37:40 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:25 PM
No Escape:

As we head out of town, the road blocks are now from the Police, and I simply cannot believe what I am seeing

Patrick and his team have convinced the Police to seal off the entire town by shutting down the main road in and out, and as Toon drives past on the other side it suddenly dawns on me that we are going to have several Kilometers of nothing but Buggies. BLOODY HELLFIRE !!

Round the roundabout

And back down the other side

And back home for a heroes welcome - that was a cruise on a truly Biblical scale

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:37:59 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 11:40:09 AM
Back at Campsite:

We have arrived back at Camp GB and of course Vanessa is frantically polishing the car, whilst it goes without saying that Allan will take all the credit for it. I wish that there was a diplomatic way of asking Allan if he would hire her out, but its not something you can ask one of your mates for fear of a black eye. Shame though, she always does an awesome job of keeping that Buggy absolutely spotless.

Due to John heading back to Sweden, I guess it may be while before we see his two immaculate Buggies again  :'(

Ryans Baja looks super cool though

This is a very imaginative use of a trailer as both a table and stand for the parasol - Brilliant concept !

Time to take another wander round the site, as there are so many variations that we just never see in the UK

Yes, that really is an animal skin on his bonnet

The infamous Maplex Buggy - a.k.a. The Toilet Seat Buggy (for some reason)  :-\  ;D

Another one that really caught my eye - would definately have given this one garage space too

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:38:19 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 12:30:41 PM
Show and Shine or Dust and Forget ?:

The show and shine was like no other I had ever seen, because everything was absolutely caked in a thick layer of dust, and with the temperature in the mid to high thirties it was just too hot to be bothered to clean them. Many seemed to be parking here as it was close to the beer tent.

My car is not really of the caliber required for a show and shine, but it looked just as dirty as everyone elses, no I figured why not !

My mate Bill was going to kill me - all that polishing, and this is how I let the world see the exhausts  ;D

Hmm . . . .  This Buggy is also growing on me more and more   ;-)up

Dave Doon was quite taken with this one, but was satisfied he would still be taking his favourite one home

I liked the dash in this one, but not entirely sure what it was from - looks familiar?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:38:40 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 01:40:48 PM
The Presidents Games:

This ultra Cool VW Ice Cream Van turned up, and was doing a roaring trade at just 1 Euro a scoop for some astonishing flavours.

The Ferrero Roche and Chocolate mix was simply to die for   :D

And then it was time for the hilarity known as the Presidents Games. If you are of a certain age, and remember "Its a Knockout" then you are along the same sort of lines - simplicity and comedy. Patrick asked for the teams to line up with their Buggies. Then told them to swap the front wheels over.

Of course, no one was prepared for this, no one had any tools and there was a mad scramble

This team at least managed to improvise a stand

Whilst the Germans just got on with it and were nearly done before we had got one wheel off

The next game was a drinking game, and was drawing quite a crowd

As beer was poured into a rubber glove, you then had to drink it using whatever suction you could muster

Flags found a way of getting more suction than the others  ;D

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:39:03 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 02:02:46 PM
The Presidents Meeting:

As with any gathering, aside from the fun and frivolities, there has to be a serous side also and that takes form of the Presidents Meeting, where all of the Club Presidents from around the world gather together for a chat and some feedback on the weekends events. Our GB Buggies President, Chad, was obviously missing, so Flags and myself took up the reigns and went in. We were both present at last years meeting in Holland, so knew the form, and also knew that most of it would be in German - which we could both just about cope with.

First up was a quick welcome schnapps, a toast, and then after a few grumblings from a very "dry" Flags, the beer crate was reluctantly passed down the table to us, where we promptly set about its demise. Most of the meeting was feedback about the weekend, and praise for Patrick, Toon and his small army of helpers, and I don`t think I overheard a single complaint. It was a great event and they should all be proud of themselves.

Then it was time to answer the question that GB Buggies had been asked last year in Holland, and one that Flags and I were actually prepared for. And that was whether we could host IBW in the UK in the forseeable future. Sadly, it had to be a resounding "No", which was absolutely gutting for us, and although we would just love to do it given the chance, we had to remain realistic about what it entailed for our Euro friends.

Please let me explain.

Quite a few of us have been researching this in detail over the last twelve months and this is not a conclusion we have come to without a great deal of research. Unlike the excellent motorway links across Europe, where all you are paying is fuel and a few hours travel, living on an Island like we do brings in some hefty costs associated with crossing the water. The ideal spot for them, without traveling too far in the UK would put them smack bang in the South East of our country, which is not only the most expensive part, must also the most densely populated. UK events attract a lot of red tape, and ultimately costs, which we could break down for them. Security, licensing laws, Motorsport Laws, the usual price price of food vans and catering at our festivals, and I think there were a few raised eyebrows at how much we are indeed ripped off in the UK. This year, Patrick had managed to seal off the town with Police support for FREE ! and in return we could give a breakdown of what our Police charge per head for an event and that closing a road was just not an option without major sponsorship. And then you have to factor in the exchange rate, which is the real killer here, because as we stand at the moment, they would have to pay nearly one third extra. (Rate is currently around 70p per Euro)

Some of them would undoubtedly come, but at the end of the day, 50 or so Buggies would not make an IBW event, and it would mean that the rest of Europe would miss out on a year, which just wasn`t fair. We also explored options of inclusion with events like Stoneleigh, and having our own marquees, but IBW is over more nights than we have here, and hiring Stoneleigh for another couple of days just isn`t an economically viable option.

So, as much as we wanted to give some positive news, we couldn`t - and its a shame that they will not come because we are just too expensive.

One of the German Presidents Schmiddy, asked what it had cost for us to come over to see them, and when we told them what WE had all spent, the room went silent as everybodies jaw hit the floor. They were frantically working out the exchange rate and what we had spent for that short break. Thinking that we had spent enough for a small holiday, we were then asked where we were heading on Monday, and if we were indeed traveling onwards. When we replied that we were heading home - there was a gasp as they realised just what it had cost for us to join them for the weekend to which Schmiddy then stood up, raised a beer to us and said "Respect". They fully understand why not many from the UK can join them, and they really appreciate those of us that have made the effort even more, and as a consequence, we know why they just wouldn`t be able to arrive in the same numbers here.

It was a shame, it was a bit sad, but on a positive note, thats not to say we cannot invite them over to some of our events though.  ;-)up
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:39:19 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:33 PM
Turn Left:

Back at Camp GB, Lawson passed a comment that since we had been there, we had only ever turned right out of the campsite, and I said I would join him for a little trip out. Word soon got out and it turned into a quick turn left cruise.

Nothing much to report really other than driving through more little villages, a few wrong turns, and then back to the campsite where Dave, Dave and Nigel lined up the DOON`s for a couple of photos especially for Chad

After which we made our way into the tent for our last supper

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:39:40 PM by Dave DND »

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 04:35:54 PM
The Awards

Jon and his Crew were literally about to head off to catch the next leg of their Ferry, when they were told to hang on for a bit

Inside the tent, the crowds were gathered

And  the trophies were unveiled in the form of Headlamp styled lights - they were brilliant !

First of all, the Kiddies prizes were given, and they received some toys and packets of Buggy Trumps

Nigel was then called onto the stage for a sing-a-long of Happy Birthday

Toon then presented Jon with a prize for the furthest traveled - Not surprising as he was now heading North to Sweden

Amongst the various undeciferable prizes given, was one to these guys who felt the need to do this

Schmiddy won a fair few prizes, and was somewhat excited by the whole affair

And then the prizes started being given out for the Top Ten in show, and Karl was called

A good choice, as his Carbon Wrapped and SVA Approved Buggy is quite remarkable  ;-)up

As other names and registrations were being called out, Dave Dream was winding up Allan something rotten, when he was called himself

Knowing their love of Stainless here, I am not surprised that this awesome Buggy was chosen   ;-)up

And no surprises as to who got Best of Show, especially as Vanessa had polished it to within an inch of its life

Allans Buggy deserved to get the top award, it is without doubt one of the best ones out there

Three very proud people, and rightly so

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:39:57 PM by Dave DND »