Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2021, 02:52:42 PM

International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2015 - Belgium - Echt een goede tijd  (Read 26008 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 12:52:11 PM
Saturday Cruise:

There was a Treasure Hunt planned for today, that involved driving about - but the GB Buggy Crew decided that they would rather take a few hours out and explore some of the beautiful country that they had come to visit. I cannot tell you much about this leg of the tour, as Lisa and I were still back at the campsite. From the pictures though, it looked a fun day out, and I hope that someone can add some words to make more sense of it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:21:50 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 02:43:35 PM
Treasure Hunt:

Meanwhile, it was time for the Treasure Hunt to start - the directions were apparently given as a series of arrows that all nationalities should have been able to follow, and when I enquired if that also included the French, they all laughed, shook my hand and said that I probably wouldn`t find any French there, so it didn`t matter.  Apparently, the French have quite an active Buggy scene, and are often found playing on the various sand dunes, but they seem very reluctant to invite anyone else to join them either.

Anyway, the Treasure Hunt seemed more like a series of silly games and drive by gropings - so i`ll just let the pictures talk here, as I wasn`t there.

Certainly looked like fun though  ;-)up

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:22:23 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 04:22:28 PM
Campsite:

With the GB Crew out and undoubtedly getting lost, and the Euro Buggies on the Treasure Hunt, you would be forgiven for thinking that the campsite was somewhat deserted - but that could not have been further from the truth. Lisa and I spent a good few hours wandering about in the near blistering heat, admiring some of the cars that we seldom see in the UK.

Unquestionably a Marmite car, but I absolutely loved it - a real 70`s throwback, and styling like nothing I had seen before

Even had a flip top roof to get in and out - How Cool is that?   8)

This V8 Beetle can only be described as gorgeous - it cruised around the site all weekend and must have cost a bomb in fuel

But we all agreed though that the rear key should have been motorised, so that it turned as it went along

I`ve seen these little Bugatti replicas at UK shows before, and great to watch peoples faces when the bonnet is opened to reveal lunch

As many do not realise that it is standard Beetle running gear with a twin port lump in the back  ;D

What you can not see from this Uber Cool Beetle is the full roll cage and 2.5 liter motor - but that is not its full story. Apparently, 40 of these were imported for evaluation when the Brazilians started making them, and after the first 30 had been crash tested, the general feeling was that these were never going to pass any acceptable tests, and the rest were simply sold on. This being one of them

And a similar story for the Rail here, as due to ever changing German legislation regarding construction of a vehicle, its highly likely that this is the last rail that will ever be allowed to be built over here.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:22:53 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 05:37:14 PM
Campsite:

The Europeans just love their Treckers / Kubels, or whatever you want to call them, but its always unusual to see so many in one place

Lisa was quite keen to take this bus home, and I think I may have let her  ;-)up

John was trying to raise some fuel money for the next leg of his trip

Loads of strange looking bikes over here, but this was definitely the wierdest

A few body shells up for grabs, not seen one of these before and was quite taken by it

In fact, I would say that if I had spotted this in the UK, then it would now be sitting in my garage

Another Booby Buggy, with the traditional happy smiling face - why are they all so miserable looking ?

And tucked away in the corner was this little Nissan. If this was yours, I did try to find you, as I am fairly sure I recognise this from a member that has recently signed up with us.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:23:14 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 08:54:04 AM
Not All Bugs Were Welcome:

Meanwhile, between the swamp behind us, and the large collection of discarded Sugar Puffs in front of us, word had obviously got out that there was a Bug show in Belgium, and they arrived in their droves.

Whilst initially flying around the site for the giant Honey Monster called Dave Dream, as he was nowhere to be seen, they decided that any one called Dave who was driving a green Buggy was fair game.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:23:36 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 10:51:18 AM
My Mate Eric:

Three O`Clock had been and passed, and there was no sign of Arno. Word had it that the two hour Treasure Hunt had now gone past five hours and was still going strong. Whilst I knew standing in the worlds largest resource of Beach Buggy experts that I shouldn`t really be starting to panic, I was also mindful of the fact that it was a Saturday afternoon on a Bank Holiday weekend, and we had not contacted the welder to say we still needed his services.

I found Patrick, who got on the phone to Arno and read through the long list of scribbles on a bit of paper that I had been preciously guarding. And amongst the scribbles was an address. Patrick said that it was only about 5km down the road and not far, but instead of trying to scribble down directions, Patrick said he would lend me his Sat Nav and I could be on my way. Patrick and I jumped in his car and drove across the site to retrieve the Nav, and passed a man walking up the campsite entrance. Someone shouted to Patrick that this man was looking for a broken green Buggy, when Patrick slammed the car into reverse and said we had just passed the welder, who because he had not heard anything, thought that he would come looking for me.

The welder was a very nice man called Eric, and we exchanged a few pleasantries as we wandered over to my car for him to have a look. I nervously pointed out the problem I had, and he put me at ease instantly by saying it was a very simple and easy job to do, and that I should follow him back to his place.

Brilliant - I jumped in the car, carefully driving down the off road track entrance, and followed Eric down to the next village. I had no idea if he ran a garage or workshop, and it wasn`t long before we pulled up alongside his house where he told me to drive round the back into his garage.

It turns out that Eric works for the Electricity Company and makes some sort of switch gear for the pylons. Apart from being a hobby mechanic, he is nothing to do with the Motor Trade, and it was only by several word of mouth phone calls that we managed to find the man in the village who had the welder.

I will be honest in saying that I was just expecting a quick lash up job, but Eric was a true professional. Armed with his stick welder and an INOX rod, he set about tacking the bracket in place. The bracket was then removed and welded properly. To my amazement, he then apologised for a welding spatter and then set about polishing it up. I though he had done a fantastic job of this, but No, Eric looked at this weld, was obviously not happy with it, and started over again. Then he rummaged through the cupboards for a grinder to smooth it all over.

We had a really good chat whilst there, and Erics wife came out to ask if she could take a photo of the Buggy in the garage as it was not something they ever expected to see. I was also introduced to their dog Jack, but he was very camera shy.

With the job done, it was very hard to get Eric to accept any money, as he was just happy to have helped. I made sure that there was enough for him and his wife to have a meal at my expense, and as I drove away, I can still hear the words he was shouting of "this is too much."

It was one of those chance meetings with someone who I will probably never meet again, and yet will stick in my mind always as a really nice man who came to my rescue in my hour of need. I think Eric will remember the same, as the day the Beach Buggy arrived in his garage.

Thank you Eric - it was really good to meet you, my friend - and I really hope our paths do cross again one day

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:23:52 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:29:10 AM
Madness, just utter madness:

Upon returning back to the campsite, Lawson was heading out for fuel, followed by Dave Doon to check for leaks, so I thought I would tag along, especially as I had been grounded for the day. Driving back into the site, I could hear Arno`s voice shouting to over to me that I looked much happier now - Happier? Unsure about that one - Relieved ? certainly !!

Back at Camp GB - Dyliss had been shopping and found a new friend

Lee was getting reunited with Sandra and finding out what a tough day she had been having

And soon found out that she had adopted the "French" look - and then tried to explain this to the Dutch  ;D

Dave Doon and Ruben were reminiscing over last years IBW, and laughing about how we left Ruben stranded on his own

When Ruben suddenly remembered who it was that gave him a lift and then drove off without him  ;D

Lee decided that Sandra should have some clean clothes for the Saturday night party

And everybody warned Lee about changing her in public, as we knew who may show up

And sure enough, before we had even counted to ten - Sandra was both naked and being groped -  AGAIN !!

Eventually Lee got her back to himself though

Jon appeared with a big grin, just like the Cat that had got the cream, and adorning several bottles of drink. Apparently there was a raffle in the big tent, and Jon had his eyes on a couple of the prizes that he really really really wanted. Better than that, he had a fail safe way of making sure that the prizes he wanted were coming home with him.

He bought every single ticket !!   ;D

We then headed over to the tent to see if these was anything left that Jon had not bought, and Lisa got a pair of Buggy Ear-Rings

And then it was time to settle down to tea

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:24:27 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 01:16:08 PM
Dressing Up on a Saturday Night

Of course, we expected these guys to be dressed first

And slowly, we all emerged in our silly costumes for tonights entertainment

Not sure if Jayson was dressing up, or auditioning for the part of Oddjob in the next Goldfinger movie   ;D

Lee just made us all laugh, as he did this far too well

Bowler hats as far as you could see

And of course, the obligatory photo shoot

It was then time to storm the tent and make ourselves known

Although they had taken precautions after we stormed the castle last year - our reputations preceeded us !

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:24:54 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 02:09:03 PM
Saturday Night is Party Night:

We were keen to party, but it appeared that we were amongst the first to arrive - Lee, of course, took the first dance

The Northern Crew settled down to a few Bevvies

And the party had started - from here on in, it could only go downhill

Stephan showed us some amazing moves of how to dance with a mosquito bite on the end of your willy

Whilst the rest of us looked on in sympathy, as we all had the same sort of bites and could feel his pain

Lisa was just about standing, with her balance likened to balancing one egg on top of another - Vicki was on hand though, but even more drunk

Trouble appeared in the form of Fiona

And the serious drinking started in earnest

Someone even started some pole dancing, although I`m sure he was German and not Polish

And Sandra also found herself up a pole as well - Can you guess who`s hand that is rammed up her?

Yep, you guessed correct - a bit of a no brainer question really   ::)

She needed a drink after that little episode though, and I cannot blame her

My mate Arno had finally made an appearance

But all eyes were on Sandra, as she had clearly had one too many

Much like Lisa, who had now redefined table dancing - by holding on to the table whilst dancing !!

The party was finally getting underway good and proper

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:25:18 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 03:39:34 PM
Party is in Full Swing:

The music is blasting, the beer is flowing, and its a great start to the evening

The clothes pegs that Pat is wearing are quite significant at an IBW party. Its a very simple game. You must attatch a peg to someone else without their knowledge, and they in return must attatch it to someone else. You are not allowed to attatch it to the person that has just got you. Its a great way of breaking the ice across the nationalities, as everybody plays.

So for extra points here, answer this simple question - Who is the most wasted?  ;D

Vicki was starting to get a bit fruity

And everybody without exception got down on the dance floor

What better way to establish new friendships than over a beer or three

Dyllis was making her way around the room, determined as ever to kiss and dance with everybody

You are my best mate, I luv you  . . . . .        But not sure the feeling was entirely mutual   ;D

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:25:49 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 04:13:41 PM
The Lady of the Night:

Sandra had recovered, and was having a good time

And everybody was having a good time dancing with her

It was good fun

Everybody is smiling and laughing

Lets face it, dancing whilst drunk with a plastic doll makes people laugh

Dancing whilst drunk with a plastic doll should make you smile

Dancing whilst drunk with a plastic doll should make you giggle

And if you take it this seriously, then there is obviously a deeper issue that needs to be explored - Yep - Guess who !

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:26:21 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 04:44:43 PM
Traditional Dance of Belgium:

Knowing we were keen to embrace new cultures, Ruben wondered if we were drunk enough to participate in the traditional Belgium Booby dance

Dave was immediately disappointed when it was explained it had to be Boobs and not Moobs

Dyliss was way ahead of us, and teaching Dave Doon the moves

The look on Vicki`s face explains the tact and diplomacy Dave Dream was using, in asking her for a dance

But knowing prizes were often awarded, an idea was hatched

And sure enough, there was no stopping her once she had got going

Cannot begin to think why Vicki was dancing on her own though    ;D

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:26:49 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 05:32:08 PM
Scooby Doo:

Outside of the tent, a Subaru had rocked up, sporting one or two LED lights

I couldn`t decide whether it was clever or Tacky

But I could fully respect the amount of work that had gone into it

And apart from the choice in LED lighting, it appeared to be very well put together

The Chip van on the other hand was a little on the pricey side. Four Euros for a tray of reheats and as much sauce as you could float on top. Whilst not overpriced compared with how we would get fleeced for chips at a UK festival, it seemed a lot to pay for an IBW one, especially as everything else without exception was so reasonably priced. They even ran out of gas to cook them, as they couldn`t keep up with the demand from Hazel.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:28:20 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 06:12:20 PM
Foute Party:

Back inside, the atmosphere was absolutely electric and a colourful party was in full swing

The music however, was something else - some great recognisable  tracks to really get dancing to, and a few from other nationalities that were unheard of, but you could generally just about bop about to them, and every so often a very strange Euro phenomenon would kick in. I`ve heard of this before from when Lisa`s brother ran a nightclub in Dusseldorf - When you have built up the dance floor with some crazy music, got everyone dancing like mad, you then kill the atmosphere stone dead by playing a Waltz. We, as Brits would find this totally unacceptable in a club, but in Europe, it is the norm, and for some strange reason, they love it.

:-\
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:31:56 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 07:09:52 PM
Nobody Parties as hard as we do:

All those from Camp GB were eager to prove that nobody can party like we can

Although I couldn`t decide if Dyllis was continuing with the Booby dance or was actually having a wardrobe malfunction  :-X

Its well into the early hours of Sunday now, and nobody is showing any signs of stopping

Even Lisa has managed to stay upright and has boogied all night

Christ only knows how Flags is still standing though   ;D

Ah . .  The Pegs have started coming this way it would appear

And Hazel appears to have been got with most of them - as do I - I have just found two on my back

Can`t think who the culprit was for those though - I later managed to get Fiona back with three in one go   ;-)up

Davydoff was meanwhile teaching Hazel about some magic juice

And she couldn`t resist trying some - but was a bit worried about what it was going to turn her into (as indeed were we)

But all was good - it turned her into a party animal

To quote the legendary James Brown - "Get on down !"

And she just couldn`t stop dancing from that point onwards

And when she did, Dave Doon pulled her back onto the dance floor for some more

They were clearly having a blast together

Dave even manged to get Lisa up for a dance too

The party just seemed to roll on and on

and at 02:30am it was still going strong - Lisa and I however, had died and gone to bed, lightweights that we were

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:32:31 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk