Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:15:59 PM

ENGINE UPGRADE

This is a discussion for the topic ENGINE UPGRADE on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: ENGINE UPGRADE  (Read 522 times)

this user is offline Adzie

• Evesham
  • LWB White Doon Buggy
on: April 04, 2015, 11:22:03 AM
Hi all

I need some help and advice please.

I own a white LWB Doon buggy that I bought 3 years ago. It has a 1300 engine that I would like to beef up a little as it struggles sometimes especially with the 4 of us in board going up hill.

Whilst I love driving my buggy I am useless when it comes to maintenance or modifying the buggy myself so would appreciate what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to upgrade my engine and probably clutch too and if there is some one local who you could recommend who might be able to sort the work for me. I live in Evesham, Worcestershire. 

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve

this user is offline Paddy

• RIP - 23/06/2018
  • Buggy Obsessed
  • West Midlands
  • GP MKII LWB / LWB Doon
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:50:44 AM

I got a re built 1600cc block for the price i paid for it, no longer required £650. May have a few parts also if any good. Other than that a fully running 1641cc without carbs but may have some twin 34's for it. Only done i think a few k as i brought it in my Doon £1500 and you can see it running. I got a few ppl interested so up to you. P/m me

Paddy
Rest In Peace - You will be Forever in our thoughts . . .

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:43 PM
Hi, good to see you are still around,
As for the upgrade 1600-1641 barrels n pistons will fit your motor with 1600 heads or yours machined out , however the upgraded top will load a used bottom end and shorten the life span. Doing the bottom end up new bearings a better cam woth followers will be around £200+ if it requires no crank work or align boring.
Bigger capacity also needs a bigger carb so you could put one on your manifold or change the lot and go for twins.
Costs can soon escalate unles you just do new b&p to 1600/1641 and change the heads. Paddys stuff may be a chePer option Farmer rob also sell engines he rebuilds but if you need a hand or want to see how a 1600 goes I am in town.

this user is offline Adzie

• Evesham
  • LWB White Doon Buggy
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:50:29 PM
Hi Snoopy and Paddy. Thanks for your advice. Will probably look to keep it simple and go for the 1641 upgrade on my current engine - would you know ball park what this upgrade should cost and how long it would take to do ?  I lost most of last years use of my buggy due to work being done  and don't want to miss another summer this year.

Snoopy would love to meet up sometime and take you up on your offer to see how your buggy goes compared  to mine - will be away for most of the rest of the month but will get in touch when I am back.

Thanks again.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:23 AM
Steve,  pop around anytime I am on the Cheltenham road The May bank holiday is the Stoneleigh meet if you would like a day out.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:54:11 PM
Most of the usual suppliers, VW Heritage, Machine 7 etc. do 1641 kits with new cylinder heads, gaskets etc. To make the best of this you could really do with upgrading to twin carbs; Kadrons or Weber 34ict's to really liven the engine up, plus a 200mm flywheel and matching clutch.

As Snoopy says only do this work if you know that your bottom end is 100%, ie factory spec endfloat and good oil pressure.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.