Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 04:00:38 AM

A mucky one - racing rail.

This is a discussion for the topic A mucky one - racing rail. on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: A mucky one - racing rail.  (Read 28246 times)

this user is online PhillipM

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:15 PM
They have remote valving too that changes the response based on pitch vs roll, as well as different stiffness for car pitch under braking vs pitch from a jump landing, etc.
 Not sure what's gone on with the dash picture:

Also just finished making a prototype of the new fiddle brakes:

One of them mucky ones. Sorry.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #106 on: September 14, 2018, 05:46:24 PM

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #108 on: September 15, 2018, 04:50:23 PM
Working on the mapping this week so the next video should have a bit more noise  :D

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #109 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
vtech goes bwaaaaaaahhh
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #110 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:51 PM
Right, I've got it settled down a bit and responding to the throttle properly now - it needs some more fine tuning to really perk up the response but it's just on the safe side until it goes on a dyno.

I'll get some video next week.

Bad news is we can't use those rear CV/Aero boots - the driveshafts hit the casing - that's what you get for not checking things with the boots on!

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #111 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:37 AM
Good news, found some boots that work.
Bad news. Might have cut the front beam, arms and uprights off the car... ;-)(-;

Good news, new ones are being made, already mocked up and ready to go:

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #112 on: December 10, 2018, 07:32:21 AM
looks neat and a lot of work involved in those.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #113 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:25 PM
Yes, took a lot of planning and mockups since we're so tight on space up front, making sure the shocks/steering links, etc, clear everything and we can still get enough steering lock.

On the upside ditching the link pins and kingpins for spherical bearings mean that there's no longer any play required in anything like there is to allow linkpins to rotate, etc, so everything can be torqued up tight. Which means no geometery changes from play or as the clearances change through wear.

Took the opportunity at the same time to revise the front geometery a little more, reducing some of the castor gain, removed some of the mechanical trail and corrected a lot of the scrub offset issues the stock setup has.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #114 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:49 PM
Been chasing down an intermittent, annoying issue for the past month or so where the car would only fire up 50 percent of the time - and sometimes would cut out for no apparent reason, eventually traced it to a dicky cam sensor and some split wiring on the only original part of the cars loom we kept - the coil connectors, doh. Anyway, after taking allsorts off finally found them, repaired 'em and turned the key, boring video but god was I happy!

Sound is a bit funky as the phone clips hard on the audio that close and the exhaust's blowing from the elbow there 'cause it just got slapped on.

https://youtu.be/KJkYWytZyZQ

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Meister
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #115 on: January 29, 2019, 10:14:32 AM
 8) 8) 8)
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #116 on: January 29, 2019, 01:45:27 PM
Why is it that some people have the facilities\equipment and the skills for this sort of thing and I don`t  ?  :'( :'(

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #117 on: January 29, 2019, 03:38:49 PM
Why is it that some people have the facilities\equipment and the skills for this sort of thing and I don`t  ?  :'( :'(

Equipment is expensive so you need to be using it a lot to make it worthwhile and you may need three phase power.

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Rotherham
  • Comp Safari Rail
Reply #118 on: January 30, 2019, 01:38:59 AM
We started making this in a shed we'd made out of some old tin sheeting and some gravel raked over from the floor, an angle grinder and 30 year old MIG set that was my grandads - and it stayed that way really up until the latest engine change.

Yes, we have room and some fancier gear now, but they're investments for work as much as anything - even this shed we built ourselves from shipping containers - nothing will stop you doing this even in a garage with hand tools and odds and sods, you just need to get into it  ;-)up
 Hell, my daily driver is getting a complete engine and gearbox change in the middle of the street at the minute!

Found another problem that was giving the intermittent weird noises and cutting the engine out - alternator is goosed and it was tripping the ECU, took it off and it's running like a dream now. I was going to get some video but it was 11pm by the time I was done, I've got hospital tommorow but maybe some better engine video Thursday  :)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #119 on: January 30, 2019, 07:51:00 AM

Equipment is expensive so you need to be using it a lot to make it worthwhile and you may need three phase power.

Aghhh Keith...   You have mentioned what was the bane of my working life,,,,,  "3 Phase electrics".   Had to keep huge axial fan motors, pumps etc running. Many originating from the 60`s and still in use. Almost a daily occurrance for one of the 3 phases to go down on one bit of kit or other.. Huge tubular fuses and contactors that clacked in and out with the contacts often fusing together with the heat.  Don`t think I want to see any more. I can still smell the huge cabinet DB`s when I think about them.   ;D