Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:04:08 AM

Predator Beach Buggy Build

This is a discussion for the topic Predator Beach Buggy Build on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Predator Beach Buggy Build  (Read 105158 times)

this user is offline LUDICRUZ

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:58 AM
Hi folks....

Time has flown again so quickly......been a few months since my last update....unfortunately work life has taken over which had left me with little time to work on the buggy....on a positive note this has given me time to brainstorm some potential ideas i would like to implement on the buggy....

i have had a chance to get into the garage over the last month to make some adjustments to the chassis, will get some pics posted soon.....Hopefully this will be the last of the changes and i can finally say its 100% complete.....

Been planning to make some forthcoming changes to the tub and side pods too.... :-X :-X :-X....hopefuly by xmas....

During a visit up to Birmingham in september i managed to pop into to meet Dave at Kingfisher Kustoms....managed to spend a couple of hours talking buggies and picked up some engine goodies from him....

I also managed to make some time to go and see Mike (Beelzedub) a couple of weeks ago to discuss an exhaust design and a fully polished Rollcage......must admit Mike is the Guru when it come to Exhaust fabrication and his work is nothing less of perfection.... ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up....

Will be in the garage almost every weekend now....so will do my best to post regular updates......

THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET - HENRY FORD

this user is offline Steve

• Buggy Prince
  • Street Predator
Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:04 AM
 ;-)up  brilliant, cant wait to see some more stuff, roll cage sounds like its going to be pretty cool  :-)Geek

this user is offline Hazel

• Buggy Veteran
  • Birmingham
  • mk1 GP
    • Beach Buggy Brummies
Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:13 AM
Sounds interesting!
Remember happiness is a way of travel, not a destination!

this user is offline Manxrod

• Buggy Meister
  • Cullompton Devon
  • Myers Manx. MK1GP swb
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 08:04:52 PM
This is great looking forward to the updates ;-)up
make it if you can.

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:35 PM
Hey folks,

From my last update In June I mentioned a dilemma I had come across with the new seats I had purchased.
The seats fitted in perfectly but when I sat in the buggy to test them out, my knees were touching the
steering wheel. The tunnel was stopping the seats from moving back as you can see from the pics below…..

There was enough space for the seat to move back at least another 8 inches….but how???

So I decided the best option would be to modify the tunnel somehow….

After taking a few measurements I marked up the tunnel on both sides to the shape I wanted to cut out….

]

Both sides cut out and just making sure they are both a mirror image of each other….

Before I could weld new plates in I had to push the tubes that hold the handbrake cables further in towards
the centre of the tunnel as they were in the way, at the same time I needed to make sure they were clear
of the gear linkage rod…

3mm steel plates were then cut to size and welded in to form the right shape….

Now the seats fitted in perfectly, moved further back and I gained the necessary legroom I was lacking before….

But now I stumbled across another problem, this time it was my arms now…. :( :( :(

With the seat further back, sitting very comfortably, plenty of space between my legs and the steering wheel….

my arm at full stretch could just about reach the gear stick, to change gears with ease I would need to lean
forward abit everytime…. This was not good at all…. :-[ :-[ :-[

The gear stick had to be moved further back to, but to get it into the right position meant having to chop most
of the hand brake off… or move the hand brake back aswell…. ::) ::) ::)

So I marked up the new position of the handbrake, making sure it doesn’t obstruct the chassis number. This
would now sit 6 inches further back…

The handbrake lever plate was cut out from its original place and welded into its new position…

This now gave me enough clearance for the gear stick to move back by 5 – 6 inches…..

I cut a section of the tunnel out and had to reshape this area to accommodate the bump so that when I
cut the actual gear mount from the tunnel, it would fit perfectly….

Once welded into place new steel pieces were welded in to cover the voids….

Today I managed to grind all the welds down, a quick coat of two pack primer on the bare metal so that I
could look for any areas of the tunnel that look uneven…will require a little bit of filler to get all the curves
looking perfect again….

Hopefully once prepped, primed and painted the tunnel will look like it was never modified at all….
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:31:55 PM by LUDICRUZ »

this user is offline Steve

• Buggy Prince
  • Street Predator
Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:28 AM
already replied over on VZI  :)

this user is offline Manxrod

• Buggy Meister
  • Cullompton Devon
  • Myers Manx. MK1GP swb
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:52 AM
That was a lot of work and done to a very high standard just like the rest of this build, looking Foward to the next up date ;-)up
make it if you can.

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:09 AM
That was a lot of work and done to a very high standard just like the rest of this build, looking Foward to the next up date ;-)up

You're  right it was quite abit of work and has set me back a few weeks but it had to be done,  it will make a much enjoyable driving experience now....thank you for the comments BTW... ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline chris bulls head

• Buggy Meister
  • broxbourne ,hertfordshire
  • Hot rod ...buggy !
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:28 AM
very nice ;-)up

this user is offline parmaynu

• Buggy Veteran
  • Maidstone, Kent
  • Nuffin
    • Old Skool Parts Shop
Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
That's great. Well worth putting in the extra to make it work for you. I could do with that mod too as am larger than average but it doesn't quite fit in with my project.

Love your updates. Going to be gutted when it's finished!
Old Skool Parts Shop

oldskoolpartsshop.com

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:21 AM
As always... amazing!!!!  ;-)up :D :D :D

I hope we are still going to be seeing it at Volksworld, it will be the star of the show!!!!!  ;-)up

(Though can't help but wonder if surgery on your arms and legs might have been an easier option!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

this user is offline muzzy01

• Buggy Meister
  • leicester
  • lwb gt 2LTR 914 /lwb jas
Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:59 AM
andy at least we have one thing in our favour, of being short arses  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MUZZY

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 11:52:10 AM
very true!  ;-)up

;D ;D
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:36 PM
thats come out very neat ;-)up

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:25 PM
As always... amazing!!!!  ;-)up :D :D :D

I hope we are still going to be seeing it at Volksworld, it will be the star of the show!!!!!  ;-)up

(Though can't help but wonder if surgery on your arms and legs might have been an easier option!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

andy at least we have one thing in our favour, of being short arses  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You guys are a bunch of comedians.....I'm not that tall....just got big feet... :D :D :D

Andy.... Not sure about being star of the show....there's plenty of buggies on this forum with star quality.....