Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2021, 02:35:54 PM

Predator Beach Buggy Build

This is a discussion for the topic Predator Beach Buggy Build on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Predator Beach Buggy Build  (Read 105442 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #225 on: April 02, 2020, 08:31:06 AM
Talk to Chad Guy..... A sketch with some details of what you need may help him..    Avoid the Empi "ready made" buggy loom.  That is absolute junk.  P.

this user is offline LUDICRUZ

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #226 on: April 02, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
As Paul said, drop Chad a PM as he will be able to provide a better guide price. ;-)up

My kit has additional wiring because i have both Momentary and latching switches with LED lighting and a cluster of warning LED lamps. A couple of my relays are also bespoke at £20.00 each because i have electric seats controlled by aftermarket switches, plus a couple of other gadgets.

THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET - HENRY FORD

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #227 on: April 02, 2020, 10:34:22 PM

Great way to re wire.

Chad ,
Want infoí do you need to provide a kit. You did one for my neighbour, Crowey. I know he was well chuffed.
Best,
Paul

this user is offline LUDICRUZ

• Beach Buggy
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
  • Custom Predator
Reply #228 on: December 30, 2020, 08:58:07 PM
Good Evening all...Hoping all are well and safe and everyone has made the best of the festive season so far..... ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

Like many i have been working from home since March now and been trying to make the most of the spare time i have had....

As usual the wife takes priority with more renovations to do around the house, however i have also been sneaking into the garage for some quality time, and with the help of my best friend Google learning all about wiring, fuses, Relays and how not to burn yourself with a soldering iron or getting fingers caught in a crimping tool.....

A few late nights, Courvoisier for company and i have finally completed 99% of the wiring....

I must admit though, without the support from Chad and his diagrams and the labels on every wire he sent me, this would have been a near impossible task for me.....

less of the talk as i'm on my third glass of Prosecco....let me share with you my progress...

First was a trip to Halfords to pick up a Battery that would fit into the Flatlands battery box...

As with any project you always realise midway that you need additional things and by having an aftermarket Smiths fuel gauge, i realised it needed a 10v supply rather than 12V and it also needed to be in sync with the fuel sender unit....

So i got in touch with Spiyda and ordered the following items...

Gauge Wizard comes with very clear instruction how to wire in and to calibrate....

A voltage stabilizer, ive never seem one this small, so i'm hoping it will work as well as the Gauge Wizard...again with very clear instructions...

Dial cluster was the first item we wired up...

As the Voltage Stabilizer is a small part i decided to mount it to the dial housing and gave it its own Ground feed...

Rear wiring, it was nice and easy to follow Chad's diagram and i opted to use the following connectors...a very snug fit and waterproof...

Next, the relays for the electric seats, mounted to the chassis floor and hide nicely under the seats....

I purchased a standard VW brake pedal switch, but again with aftermarket pedals, it wasn't a straight fit...

Pondering for a while for some ideas, i decided to make a little bracket and mount it in front of the pedal....

It probably looks like i will end up kicking it when i'm controlling the pedals, however as the pedals are quite tall i am going to built a false floor under the feet and the switch will end up under this floor...

Next was the rollcage switches, we had a couple of mis-crossed wires but after swapping a couple of emails with Chad, we were back on track...

At the same time i picked up the rear view mirror from Machine 7, a nice little fit to the underside...

All the wiring for the switches runs through the rollcage and exit behind the dash on either side...

If i need to remove the rollcage, i can unplug the loom, take the grommet out and feed the connector through...

I purchased some LED lights for my dash cluster, however i haven't exactly decided the arrangement yet...

So we have wired them up in a way that i can disconnect each individual light..

now came the trickiest part of all, collating all the wiring at the front and routing to Ground, Fuses boxes and relays.

Six relays in total so i bought a Relay box from ebay, Chad had already provided the Fuse boxes, the only thing i changed were the Ground connectors...

Chad had provided the following and i used them at the back as they were a perfect size to fit in enclosed areas..

i opted to go for a larger heavy duty version at the front...

and after several hair pulling weekends to make sure everything is laid out neatly, this is what we have ended up with...

When we were half way through, it dawned to me, if something goes wrong once its all finished, i will have to climb under the dash to check anything, and i'm not getting younger, so another plan hatched and it was a sensible idea to get an opening bonnet...

After throwing a few email out on the forum and with Farmer Robs very kind help, Pete at Fibrecraft is making an opening bonnet but with a Predator dash so that my current dash display stays the same....

will post some pics as soon as i get it.....

Once again thank you to everyone who has helped me through the years, the kind comments you have all shared, the lovely people i have met face to face and looking forward to meet more of you...

Let me take this opportunity to wish you all a safe, Happy and prosperous New Year ahead.... ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

THE HARDER I WORK, THE LUCKIER I GET - HENRY FORD

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #229 on: December 30, 2020, 11:33:18 PM
Good to see some progress down there Nav it looks neat.

this user is offline JonFuller

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #230 on: December 31, 2020, 01:51:09 AM
Is there a false floor to protect the brake light switch/connector?

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #231 on: December 31, 2020, 06:50:57 AM
Is there a false floor to protect the brake light switch/connector?

Yes Jon it's mentioned in the write up. I would like to know how it's going to stay dry between the 2 floors, sure he's thought of it

Lovely piece of work, look forward to seeing it one day
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline JonFuller

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #232 on: December 31, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
Ah, ok.
Anyways, very nice work sir  ;-)up

You're not far from me, when it's finished, and things warm up a bit, we should organise a local buggy meet

Jon

this user is offline Jaysons Dad

• Buggy Baron
  • Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
  • 1961 Beaujangles Can Am
Reply #233 on: January 01, 2021, 11:32:52 AM
Looking good Nav. I canít wait to see this on the road.  ;-)up
Definitions -
Understeer  - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer    - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower - How fast you hit the fence
Torque        - How far you take the fence with you