Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 03:36:15 AM

International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story  (Read 18259 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 03:38:17 PM
And then I hatched a quick plan to satisfy one of the other rules of Buggy ownership, and that is getting all four wheels onto the sand for a photograph.

And so we settled down to some mayonnaisse and chip (notice the singular) because what we were given looked remarkably like a 99 with a flake, except this was a cone of yellow goo with a chip poking out the top.

And then, the weather turned. The weather turned very fast indeed, and as we all scrabbled back to put our roofs on, the tens of thousands that were on the beach all decided to create the largest traffic jam in history, and we were stuck in the middle of it.

I`m not quite sure what to make of Den Haag. Everywhere we have been so far in Holland has been absolutely immaculate, clean and tidy, and the Dutch people are all warm and friendly beyond belief. Whilst this looked like a major city, that I will certainly try to come back and explore properly one day, it currently feels like its transforming into an Eastern European Refugee Camp. The atmosphere just isn`t the same.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:51:41 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:36 PM
Turning the last corner, we were confronted by our final piece of Dutch street sculpture

But there was no doubt that we were in the right place

We patiently waited in the que to go through the ticket office, and for a moment, Chad did panic as he thought that they had only given us one cabin. For some strange reason, he didn`t want to share with me and my snoring.

And on the other side we pulled over to wait for everyone else to catch up with us. It seemed a long time ago that we were parked here waiting for the others to get off the ferry.

And whilst we were waiting, not wanting to go home, it gave Dave Doon a chance to run back to the ticket office as within 100 yards of being given it, he had already misplaced his cabin room key.

With all of us now present and correct, it was time to board the ferry

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 05:02:23 PM
We were now loaded on the ferry, and we had a few hours before we set sail

Just like the outward journey, there were all sorts of cars and clubs returning, and unbeknown to us, I took a photo of these three wheelers parked in front of us on a trailer. By sheer coincidence, whilst we were up in the bar having a drink the owner of this car came over to have a word with Chad. It was a small world indeed when this guy turned out to be Chad`s former boss from near 17 years ago.

Back in the cabin, I put the telly on, and whilst its a bit nerdy, one of the channels had a camera on the stern of the boat. It was fascinating to watch us moving about, leaving / entering dock and just how close a boat of this size got to some of the others as can be seen here

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:05:01 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 05:31:15 PM
I must confess to not sleeping that well on the boat. As a former Sub Aqua Instructor, I`m more used to jumping off boats than sleeping on them, so when dawn broke just before 4am, I was out on deck and surprised that we were so close to shore.

There were a few other bleary eyed insomniacs about too

By around 5am, the lorry deck had cleared and turned into a skating rink. It was quite funny to watch some of the trailer tugs sliding around whilst trying to hitch up.

Driving off the ferry, we came across a sign. To those reading, it said "UK Border" but to all of us, it said something completely different. It said "You are home"

There was a Morrisons just outside the port, and we thought it would be a good idea to stop for a final breakfast together. Trouble was, at 6:30 in the morning, no-one had told the staff that we were coming. Here we said our goodbyes to a fair few friends.

With an instant change in scenery, we knew we were back in the UK

Where we then drove back to a fuel stop in Suffolk that we used on the way down here.

By this time, the holiday was well and truly over and Chad and I just wanted to get home. Chad was also very aware that I also had a 200 mile drive to do once we had reached Birmingham, so with that in mind, we decided to bid our farewells and make a run for it.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 05:37:07 PM
And thats pretty much the end of my story.

Without doubt, one of the best and most memorable trips away I have ever had, and I would like to thank everyone that features in any of these pictures either in front of or behind the camera, for making this such an awesome weekend. Big thanks go to Ruben and Patrick for their friendship and translations where needed. But the biggest thanks of all must go to my best mate Chad, for taking me with him.

Cheers mate - I owe you one  ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 05:44:49 PM
But the story doesn`t quite end there.

Next year, we are going to do it again.

So if you have enjoyed my little story here, then why not join us next year and be part of the next installment of GB Buggies abroad.

International Buggy Weekend 2015 -  Belgium

Details to follow in due course.

8)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Brilliant, and just re-lived every moment.

You are always welcome as a passenger (except when Ruth is with me of course  ;-)up)

Now go and get that 2 litre, you know you want one  ;D
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline lee74

• Beach Buggy
  • Solihull
  • arse chopped mk1 GP & an FF in bits
Truly awesome account of one of the best road trips ever. Seems like an age away now but memories will last forever. Sooooooo looking forward to next year. Cheers to all involved...new mates n old.  8)
I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

this user is offline Big Clem

• Buggy Meister
  • Colchester Essex
  • 66 prowler
About some it up you might of missed out a few beers or 50 :D
Prowler  inspired by turky juice !!!

this user is offline Steve

• Buggy Prince
  • Street Predator
Brilliant Dave
I was sat there this morning reading it all, apparently both my daughters asked me twice could they have breakfast, but I didnt hear them  ;D
Then my wife got up and asked me what I was reading…and I didnt hear her either …thats all true  ;D

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Well done Dave, enjoyed it all over again, now get those two extreme knighting pictures you took of me posted
Dave
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Well done Dave, enjoyed it all over again, now get those two extreme knighting pictures you took of me posted
Dave

They were put up ages ago mate   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Ipswich SUFFOLK
  • DOON LWB
Dave

They were put up ages ago mate   ;-)up

Cheers, I know I am getting on a bit but when did you sneak them in there? I never spotted them. PS sent a message to Mods a short while ago worth a look
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
PS sent a message to Mods a short while ago worth a look

Done and dealt with - cheers for the heads up   ;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline ruben

• Beach Buggy
  • 1 meter below sea level
  • hotrod sportscar
Reply #74 on: December 14, 2014, 08:45:11 PM
as i've been a busy bee for the last months and haven't read up on your forum, i can truly say that it is awesome and hart warming to read and re live this weekend.

thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the plunge to come over and visit our country, and you are all welcome as we are always willing to help with translations (modern dutch is half English anyways, helps us keep our language up to scratch :-)Geek)

the next one will be even better for those who where lucky enough to have lived this event, as you will find everybody has remembered you and you'r character. (this can also work in your disadvantage tho we are no strangers to cross dressers and "men behaving badly" in general)

this year we are all attending once again,
and will be taking the biggest club as there's masses of dutch buggyists about ;-)up, go ahead and give us a run for our money... i dare you.. ???

i look forward to seeing you all again and wish you all a very warm holiday season in the mean time.

"Yes Ruben, you are indeed a Championship Tosser" DnD, september 2016
Remember kids, polyglotism will get you nowhere