Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 12:29:56 AM

International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story  (Read 19172 times)

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:13 AM
The other day, I had learned about the location of another supermarket in Zuidbroek, only a couple of miles down the road, and Dave Dream kindly offered me a seat in his car if I would show him the way

And off we set, through what is actually a very pretty village

and we had a few cars behind us too

You would be forgiven for thinking that these houses are all new, as the village is absolutely immaculate, but I spotted a few numbers on them of 1879 which I do not believe to be the house number. They may be a lot older than you think. By contrast, I also live in a house from around 1880, and it looks absolutely knackered.

We then found the Supermarket,  a Co-op, orange of course, exactly where our guide had told us it was. So we parked up and went beer shopping.

Just behind the large town square where we had parked was a river and  a few boats, it was quite picturesque

And as the midday sun was now fast approaching the mid thirties, we had to stop for an ice cream

We then set off back to the camp before the beers warmed up too much

Their town centre seemed somewhat deserted for a Saturday

As we approached Nordbroek, we spied an Aldi and pulled in where we waited patiently for what seemed like many hours as Vanessa tried to run up the National debt.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 11:34:13 AM
Meanwhile, back at the campsite, there appeared to be another gathering of people, but this time in a different area of the field

and they were doing some very fast grass racing

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:40 AM
Wandering back to the tent through a few more cars

And I noticed that Lee had been customising his Buggy

Whilst Chad was trying to convince us that he was now sober enough to drive

However, drunk or not, Chad came up with a brilliant idea, and that was a cruise to a town about 20 Km away, where the map showed it to have a beach also. As the temperatures were now starting to hit the high thirties (reports of thunderstorms back home) this was easily sold to us, and off we went.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:58:15 AM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:05 PM
I jumped in the car with my driver for the day, Dave Dream, and Dave Doon took my place as a passenger with Chad.

An international convoy to the beach on a summers day with your mates - does life get any better than this?

AS we approached Delfzijl, it appeared that the town was cordoned off due to a Bank Holiday festival that they were having over the weekend, and we were diverted down a side road towards the coast, which suited us, as we were looking for the beach anyway.

Ok. So the industrial looking mud flats that Holland describe as beaches were not quite what we had hoped to find

As any Buggy driver will tell you, you keep one eye on the road, and one eye open for a photo opportunity, and when we passed a jetty sticking out into the sea with a service road below us, we couldn`t turn around fast enough.

And again, as any Buggy owner will tell you, when someone shouts "Catalogue Pose" it means that you probably have a camera pointed at you.

It was good to see that a few members of the MBC Air Bike Display Team had even brought their gear with them

Thankfully, in this soaring heat, someone in our party has spotted that the small building on stilts in the distance was actually a cafe, so it was time to stop for refreshments

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 12:54:58 PM
And so, up on the Cafe balcony, we took our refreshments, whilst admiring the mud flats of Holland

Dave Dream, on the other hand, was down below us, and came out with one of his usual observational gems regarding the mud formations from where rocks had been thrown

Don`t you think that they look like giant bum holes?

And from there on, the conversation deteriorated rather rapidly, as the competition than followed to either make the best bum hole, or to get a rock inside someone elses bum hole

Whilst we were now roaring with laughter on the balcony, acting like a panel of judges in a game show, awarding points for things like "puckeridge" and so on. The conversation really didn`t get any better than that, and I`ll stop reporting from here on in.

Dave Doon reminisced on what it was like to be fourteen again, and the rest of us quickly pointed out that if we were indeed fourteen, then it was most definately a combined age of us all.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:58:17 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 01:21:19 PM
At the end of that Jetty was a car where someone was fishing, but it did mean that you could get cars down on to it, and it was probably nothing we would get deported for, so Chad engaged his OCD mode and set about reversing the cars down there in the colours of  a rainbow.

Meanwhile, whilst I was at the top waiting to take a photograph of the line up, a couple of guys with cameras came over for a chat with me. It turns out that they were from the local Newspaper and were covering the event in the town. They had seen us drive through, and had set about tracking us down in the hope that they too could take some photos of us. We were also invited back to the town for the following days festivities, but they understood that we had some previous committents and probably couldn`t make it. But sure enough, this photo appeared on the front page of their paper the following day.

By now, we were ready to move on, and thought we should head back to the campsite to catch up with the others before this evenings onslaught.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 02:18:43 PM
Back at the campsite, the hot weather had obviously taken its toll on the off road course, and they needed to water it down a bit. Trouble was, that the only liquids on site were beer or the farm lorry. Well, they were not going to waste the beer now were they.

And you are not going to believe what happened next

Even Pat had a go, although I think he should win an award for the cleanest number plate

There were lots of people looking like this, but before you can say "Dirty Girl"

Just think on the children that were now playing once we had finished

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 02:57:32 PM
After some good food from the barn, we settled down to a few beers back at GBHQ and reflected on what a truly fabulous day it had been

When who should walk over but our new friend, the town cryer. I think at this point Jason was trying to ring his bell.

You see, tonight was party night, and we were all formally invited. Tonight was a celebration of "I Love Holland" and we could show how much we adored Holland by dressing up in orange.

Now, todays date is very significant, as it marked the 70th anniversary of Englands invasion into Europe, but we were very carefull not to mention the war - that wouldn`t be very diplomatic.

And then it happened.

Someone said, "I love Holland? Pah . . . Tonight we are invading Holland"

And then Flags was heard to bellow

"All on Parade in five minutes"  and oh boy did we jump.

Flags was determined that before we went into Battle, that we needed to learn some stuff, and he then proceeded to drill us in his own special way. He was not impressed when we couldn`t count to the number 2, and made us know it.

King Arthur has his Knights of the Round Table, and tonight, Flags had his Knights of the Camping Table

And so we were marched into Battle - the invasion of a Dutch Party.
What could possibly go wrong.

If at this stage you are thinking along the lines of a Carry On film, then you are  probably quite close as to how our troop now were behaving
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:59:54 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 04:16:10 PM
When we arrived at the Barns, the party was in full swing

But Flags marched us through the crowds, lined us up at the bar for a drink, and then on Parade

Where someone on the P.A. system promptly started playing Y.M.C.A. and that was it, we were off

We had also brought our Swedish Allies to fight with us

But it soon transpired that they had other intentions

The spoils of war - the invasion had been a success, and our best mate Ruben had now admitted defeat. Holland was ours.

Or at least until Tuesday, when they could have it back.

The GB Buggies Posse were here, and now the Party could really start

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:05 PM

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 06:06:51 PM
And then just like the previous night, the barn doors opened for the start of a new party, and the band was superb. Everybody was really friendly, and I knew it was going to be a good night when a German guy came up to me, handed me a beer, and said "That was funny as hell mate"

We found Patrick standing guard at the door, grinning like a cheshire cat and wearing a Knights uniform. Worringly, it meant that somewhere inside we may have a naked night with no clothes on - and Chad was nowhere to be seen.

And in the small hours of Sunday morning, we all crawled back to the tents, but the fun didn`t stop there. Whilst we were all drunkenly staring at the roof of the tents, we kept coming up with silly phrases that included the word "Knight" in them - and everyone reckoned we should start taking some pictures of these words, post them on the website, and call it "Extreme Knighting". I was too drunk to disagree with this, and gobsmacked when the photos started pouring in.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
As you can probably guess, breakfast on Sunday was quite a subdued affair, although it had to be said, very few of us had hangovers which was quite amazing considering the amount we had put away last night.

Dave Dream`s head was buzzing though. He was certain that there was a puddle of Gravy underneath Allan`s car last night, and this morning it had miraculously disappeared. Where had it gone? His head was about to explode.

Meanwhile Chad had surfaced, and suggested that we should line all the cars up for a mass rainbow, and who were we to disagree.

And even at this early hour, we could still get everyone to play Whacky Races

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 07:10:49 PM
Today, the Dutch were organising a Buggy Driving Treasure hunt instead of a cruise, which didn`t really appeal to us that much, as we felt some of the translations may get a bit difficult given our fuzzy heads. It was suggested by someone that we should head back over to Delfzijl and see what the next days festivities were going to be. Chad really wasn`t up to driving this morning, and promptly threw his keys at me.

We couldn`t get as close to the town as we did yesterday, as even more roads were now blocked off, which did cause a bit of an issue with our convoy as we got broken up a bit. The closest we could get to the coast was in the car park of the local Aquarium, but being a bank holiday weekend, it was closed.

We even had a small following of German Buggys, also looking for the coast

And finally, I spotted a windmill

The weather was starting to turn a bit, so we took refuge in this overpriced hotel lounge for a very expensive and dry bit of cake, only to virtually be told to bugger off once the last morsel had been swallowed as they had guests ready to take lunch. Not quite sure where these people were, as we were pretty much the only ones in there.

Outside the Hotel, we were trying to determine what sort of animal this was, and the general agreement we reached was that it was a Kangapoo - Yeah, I know, it had been that sort of a weekend.

All of a sudden, we noticed that in the distance was the jetty that we had parked on yesterday, and it was very crowded with people, so we set off for a walk and an investigate.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:12:58 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 07:33:20 PM
And this is what we came across. Two burly chaps hosing down a young child with two firehoses. Well, I`ll admit it looked like fun, but there must be something else going on to draw such a crowd.

And there was. It was some sort of sledge racing around a few flagpoles.

But one thing was certain - they do like to play in the mud around here.

There were huge ques of teams in fancy dress waiting to have a go

And we even found what looked like the aforementioned Kangapoo

The drizzle and rain was starting to come down, and I`m not sure our best mate Ruben was too pleased to be dumped on his own whilst we all jumped in our cars to go home. Someone had given him a lift here, but they were nowhere to be seen.

He made it back to the camp eventually, and after a beer or three he was just fine.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 10:59:17 PM
And we made it back just in time for the Presidents Games.

The crowds were gathering

And round one was Clog racing, that seemed to involve running with a pair of clogs with a cranked handle on them, riding a bike, and carrying a  milk churn. Some competitors made it look easy.

Big Clem, Lawson and Lee however, made it look funny

And funnier still

But at least it looked as though they may make it to the finish line

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk