Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 09:33:18 PM

International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story

This is a discussion for the topic International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story on the board GB Buggies.

Author Topic: International Buggy Weekend 2014 - The Full (And Very Long) Story  (Read 25103 times)

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:47 PM
We reached our last meeting point just a few miles outside of the campsite to top up with fuel and have a quick natter.

One of the locals came over for a chat, and I soon interrogated him as to where the nearest shops were, where we could go to buy bread, milk and beer, and I couldn`t resist asking where you go to buy "sum shmokes". He gave a very straight reply of the local co-op down the road, whilst I was trying my hardest not to laugh.

It was then time to drape a few flags over the cars and go and make an entrance
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 11:12:37 PM
And make an entrance we certainly did

I think Chad should get a graphic done for his bonnet as I reckon this really suits his car

Where we were met by a man with a very smiley face, and we booked in. The guys here were very excited and also very appreciative to see so many of us turn up from the UK, and when we asked him how many were here so far, I`m sure he said about 250. Yes, you are now having the same thoughts in your mind as I did. 250 Buggies? Wow !!

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:41 PM
As we entered the field, we were greeted by Pat & Bee Masters (Team-X) who had arrived the day before and cordoned off a huge camping area for us. Once we said our Hello`s, they disappeared back into their own tent and collapsed on their sofa. I can`t believe that they dragged a sofa all the way from the UK to go camping, but then they are completely bonkers.

Someone looks just a little happy to be here, don`t you think?

And then it was all hands to the pumps, as we started to set up camp.

There were a few air beds and seats to be blown up, and thankfully Karl had brought a pump with him. I was given instructions that our chairs should be as squidgy as Ruth`s bum, and Chad seemed happy with the amount of air that I had put in. I`m just glad he didn`t ask how I knew, else I may have been walking home.

And then it was time for a mad dash to the local supermarket that we had passed on the way in for some beer and supplies for the night.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:40:48 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 08:22:10 AM
We nipped back to the local Spa to stock up on some essentials, namely Beer, Crisps and Cakes. Beer was really cheap over here and we picked up a couple of crates (48 bottles) of Warsteiner for a mere 12 Euros. The only thing we struggled to find was milk. The only stuff we could recognise was either long life or uht, but by this time Chad was chomping at the bit for a cuppa, so it didn`t really matter.

A quick ice cream in the sun was had, and then we made our way back to camp
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 08:27:39 AM
As we reached camp, word came through that Flags and Ollie were not only fixed and running, but they were only about half an hour away from the campsite.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 11:13:28 PM
Back at the campsite, the tents were now all up

The flags were flying

And I must admit to not usually being this patriotic back home, but for some reason, here it felt really good, especially as all of the other countries had done the same.

Don`t ask - some things you just don`t want to know

And everyone settled down to a nice cup of tea

Whilst raiding the goodie bags we had been given on the gate

And then came the call that we had been waiting for. Flags and Ollie were in the town, and upon hearing this, a few of us grabs what beers we could and ran for the entrance. Whilst I cannot condone drink driving, I think its fair to say Flags should have been well over the Dutch limit by the time he moved from the road to the entrance gate - they`d had a rough day, although chatting with Ollie, I think that he actually had quite a blast with his new found friends at the repair centre.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:56 PM
A slow walk back across the campsite suddenly revealed just how many Buggies there were, and how very different they all looked compared to our ones.

Although I have to say, that our GB line up was still my favourite

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:49:02 AM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:39 AM
Back at Camp GB, Dave Dream had broken out the Sugar Puffs, and much hilarity followed whilst he was trying to both catch and eat them.

Happy Campers everywhere, and whilst I was taking a picture of Vanessa

She seemed to be taking a picture of me

But things were starting to get serious now - we were all hungry, and people had started to break out the food

Although we couldn`t work out whether Lee was cooking tea, or had lost a bet

Time however, for me to grab my meal voucher and go off in search of some food.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:15 AM
For those that had paid the extra 10 Euros for food, it was now time to find out what that meant as a few of us headed over to investigate. Just to help you understand the layout a little, The big glass door you see to the right of the coach is where the food is being served and where we are now heading.

The menu, from what we could make out as we entered, was Soup and a roll. The ticket was presented, the date was punched and we joined the que, sort of canteen style. The food was simple, very tasty, and more than adequate after a long days adventure.

Once the food had been collected, it was then either a seat inside, or on one of the many tables outside. Just a quick note on these outside table groups, they work very differently to how they would in the UK. Over here, we would fight for a table and then fiercely guard it all night. That is not the Dutch way. The Dutch way is far more sociable, if there is a group of people - you go and join in. If there are people you do not know, then you go and introduce yourselves. Its a concept we are unused to as Brits, but its incredibly easy to slip into it.

And once the food was over, we headed a few feet towards the tent in the background, as that was where the beer was. Its still fairly early in the evening and most are still eating at this point. The mobile van you see behind is a chip van that also has a whole host of unpronounceable foods on offer, and something we will investigate over the next few hours.

Even the concept of the beers was something a little different, it sounds strange, but again, once you get into how its done, it works very well. Rather than buying a beer, you buy little tokens at 1 Euro each at the tent just to the right of the food hall. Once you have your tokens, you take them to the bar and exchange them for a beer, a bit like we do with our beer festivals here, and I guess its something to do with licensing laws maybe. But don`t be expecting a choice of beers, they have one, and one only. But before you turn your nose up at this, let me tell you that the beer they picked is icy cold, and one of the most refreshing beers that they could possibly have served - it was universally accepted by everybody as damned near perfect. There were trays for holding multiple beers, and rather than buying a conventional round of drinks, the way to do it was to simply add to the growing pile of tokens on our table when you could, and whoever went to the bar came back with a tray of beers and put them on the table. If you wanted a beer, you just took one. It was a fantastic idea.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:07 PM
Although we had been having a great day, we were mindfull that two of our mates had been missing, Ollie and Flags.

Hmm . . . .  Flags . . . .  What can I tell you about Flags ? . . . .

For those that have not met him yet.

Our good mate Flags is a former soldier, not your average squaddie though, this man is a former Tank Commander, This man is a former Drill Sergeant and when he barks at you, you will jump. In a previous life, this man was one of her Majesty`s loyal protectors, this man was in the Household Cavalry.

Are you forming a picture of this man now?

Does it look like this? as pictured here with his best friend Isla ?

Well, let me tell you something . . . . . .

The years have not been that kind to our mate Flags . . . . . . .

Because this is how he dresses when amongst us 

Enter  Flags  !!

And it pains me to say this, but No, Flags had not lost a bet - for him it was just another Friday night.

Patrick was very glad to see him, especially after all the phone calls they had made to each other during the day

And I`m not sure what our International counterparts made of him to start with either, there was a lot of pointing, giggling and picture taking as Flags went up to buy some beer tokens.

And his attention to detail was impeccable, as here he was comparing the things you should carry in your handbag with Vicky, who I think was quite envious of some of the stuff he had concealed in there.

And by this time, Flags can no longer contain himself either, as he has just realised how much Chad has had to drink

We were all laughing too, but not at drunken Chad, we were laughing at the girl behind Flags in the orange hat who was now uncontrollably crying with laughter so much that she was now stood in a growing puddle as the tears were literally running down her legs.

And of course, Flags now found the ultimate accessory to add to his costume, several perforated sheets of paper you can`t write on.

But whilst stood here at the chip van, an unsuspecting Dutch lady spotted the toilet paper and turned around to have a quiet word with what she thought was someones mother, and almost died on the spot when she saw Flags turn around - a priceless comedy moment.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:49:25 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 09:14:13 PM
And then all of a sudden, the doors to the main barn opened up, and we found a new party going on inside

It was a great party atmosphere, as all the different nationalities were really starting to get to know each other by now

Some of the GB Buggy contingency were even still able to stand

And some of us could be found on the floor. This was a lady from Switzerland who was trying to get as many as she could to sign her jeans, although the prize went to Dave Doon for the highest signature on her inner thigh, who then tried to rub it off so he could do it again.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:49:50 PM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 09:40:32 PM
The following morning, one thing was very clear - and that was that the heavy drinking Northern crew couldn`t keep up with the rest of us, who were now up and about and ready for breakfast. This consisted of a very respectable plate of bread, meats, cheese, eggs, or what you would probably call a full continental breakfast. Not sure that these guys made it that far though. Even the dog was dead.

With Breakfast out of the way, the Dutch Town Cryer started his rounds of the campsite, making sure that everybody knew what the days events would entail.

But first, we had an important job to do ourselves, and that was to don our T-Shirts that Chad had printed up for us. Most of the clubs had also adopted a similar idea, and it was then easy to the recognise who was from where. This is just a few of us that were sober enough to stand at this point.

At home, we come from many clubs, SDBC, MBC, SWBC and even a couple of forums, beachbuggyclub.com and of course beachbuggy.info - but when we are abroad, travelling internationally, we all go under the same name and banner of GB Buggies. So when you hear that name, you now know where it has come from.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:09:13 AM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 08:58:25 AM
Its now Saturday Morning, Chad and Dave Dream had jumped in Dave Doon`s Buggy and headed off to the village  for more supplies - although I suspect it was actually n search of as much Paracetomol as they could carry.

Turning to look at our line up of Buggys in the morning sun, they looked good.

So I thought I would have a quick wander about the camp to see what else was here

The airbrushing detail on this car was simply awesome

But for some reason, the same level of details had not been applied to the engine, which was a shame

A line up of Maplex Buggies

For some reason, they are more commonly known as "Toilet Seat" Buggies, but I cannot see where they have got that name from

Someone who`s Buggy throws out more crap behind it when towing than mine does

And there were quite a few engine variations too

And whats this? The town Cryer has come over to tell us something

But I didn`t quite catch what it was, as Pat had jumped in his car and shot off like a scaulded cat

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:49:11 AM by Dave DND »
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:11 AM
A new line up had appeared of trailers, but no one was here

But there seemed to be quite a few people gathering in the distance where the Off-Roading track had been made

And sure enough, there was some mild racing taking place

And our own Pat Masters was showing how it should be done

Which we, of course, had to go and show our support

And then the inevitable happened, and he got well and truly stuck

We didn`t laugh at him at all, and in return, he didn`t scrape off whatever he was driving through and throw it at us, which of course did not hit various members of the crowd, and luckily didn`t give the small child next to be a large brown nugget right between the eyes - it didn`t happen.  But then when have you ever believed anything I have written.

A large Dutch giant offered to pull the car out

But it was left to one of the other Buggies instead

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 10:38:14 AM
Dave Dream had returned from his shopping trip with a present for Flags. An orange lion hood ornament. Not sure of the significance of the lion, but in Holland, everything is orange - its not just a National colour, it seems to be a way of life.

Flags was so pleased with his present, that he stuck it to the bonnet of his car

And then kicked in the British tradition of "Elevenses" - and we all stopped for a cup of tea

And this gave a chance for the kids to come out and start crusing

They even joined in with the Buggy line ups

And then we noticed that they had more beer than we did

And for the Brits abroad, that was unnaceptable, so it meant only one thing

Road Trip !!

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk