Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 06:23:44 AM

super gimmers buggy challenge

This is a discussion for the topic super gimmers buggy challenge on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: super gimmers buggy challenge  (Read 16167 times)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:15 PM
planned to arrive on a low loader with boxes of bits at 12.30 tomorrow then a blitz job.
needs brake circuit and brakes doing, steering stripped freed off and refitted so the wheels are not pointing towards the center and all new boots.
control cables and fuel pipe, fit the new shell. possibly knock up a dash frame, fit lights and wiring + his electric seats.
engine runs but needs tinware and it ideally needs to go back to his place before next friday.
photos will appear tomorrow of an early type lwb jas in green.
it will not be a quality painted up buggy just a useable one done as cheap as possible.
if Chimp or anyone else is around and feels the urge to work on a buggy over the weekend Chris wants to get from his mobility scooter into a buggy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:26:08 PM by snoopy »

this user is offline Chimp

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Cheltenham, Glos
  • Sidewinder
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:01:28 PM
I'm about all day Sunday so will pop over and help. But knowing you Snoopy it will be finished, MOTed and have a 1000 miles on it by then ;D
Think the white tinware in my loft is what he needs.
Got loads of electrical bits and bobs left over from mine so will bring them too.
I'm also on earlies next week so can be free most afternoons from 1.30 onwards.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:58:21 PM
well it arrived at 1pm on a breakdown truck.

so the body got lifted off,

front suspension was solid, 15 degrees toe in, no ball joint nuts, steering box up against the frame head and no locking devices fitted.

it needed all new ball joint boots (from  south wales propshafts) but we found the track rod threads peened over from whoever knocked them out luckily I had some used ones as replacements. steering box fitted correctly rods all free and suspension ball joint boots changed I whipped the coils off the shockers and found loose calipers and no r/h hub seal.
by 5pm all was rebuilt master cylinder in, pedals and new clutch cable, all new brake lines.
 Trying to fit new rear cylinders required the shaft nuts cutting off only to find the r/h one had been cross threaded gearbox is now coming out to replace a shaft. so getting behind time.
engine was held in by one 8mm bolt through the starter motor hole and g/box front mount nuts were just on the threads

Andy had the motor running for a few seconds and thinks a head is blowing so after the box is in and back on it's wheels a compression test is needed.

saturday needs the gearbox out and 1/2 shaft changing whilst Chris goes off to meet Buggy Pete for some more secondhand parts then hopefully a body fit late afternoon so Andy can start wiring up Sunday morning whilst I get the motor sorted and the body brackets.

this user is offline Big Clem

• Buggy Meister
  • Colchester Essex
  • 66 prowler
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:05 PM
You been on that redbull   ??? Nice work  ;-)up
Prowler  inspired by turky juice !!!

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:42 PM
lost a fair bit of time today changing the half shafts and awaiting parts but the buggy is a rolling pan brakes just need fluid and bleeding, engine has had the tin ware off and sprayed up. had to dig through the stores  to find a clutch return spring and wing nut.
Chris has met Buggy Pete and brought back more parts.
engine now has enough tin ware and a fuel pump Chris has sprayed the top tins black.

the body has had wiring tubes glassed in,

body is now on but is a poor fit needs 3/4 inch forwards to sit on the napoleons hat and 1 inch back on the left rear to get the 2 rear bolts in. tub is just over a year old so may be pliable enough to withstand some blocks of wood and jacking about.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 08:47:58 PM
9.30 till 6 with the obligatory dinner break is enough on sunday but with Chimps help and Chris doing some toil.
 The body is fully on and bolted down but even with jacking out as far as I dare we had gaps up the  front corners as they did not reach the hat ends with the l/h rear corner just sat on the front edge of the seal while the r/h/r is fully on and just about clearing the torsion bar tube end, the 4 rear bolts are pretty central in the tub lip. dash frame is in and secured as is the rebuilt column with replacement ignition and indicator switches..
brakes bled and working.
dash trimmed to fit only to spot the front is not deep enough for the beetle speedometer diameter and the l/h drive column molding fouls the frame so it will get a plywood trimmed with leather cloth dash board.

lights are on and the loom fit is in progress using a continental fuse box from the Range at 3.
not happy with a buggy loom kit he brought for 90 a while ago, carb and number plate wires are scotch locked on, it has a continental fuse box also no earths for the lights in the loom.

pug 206 seats supplied will need major subframe surgery as the slides sit against the tunnel and tub sides.
Chris is stripping the paint off the Buggy Pete supplied screen surround to see if it can polish up.

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:14:43 PM
Bloody 'ell.  This is quicker than the Volksworld build  ;D

Awesome work gents.
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline Supergimmer

• Beach Buggy
  • Evesham
  • Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:38:02 PM
Couldn't agree more, I almost have to rub my eyes to believe how quick it's coming together!

this user is offline crowey

• Buggy Lord
  • CUMBRIA
  • Sidewinder
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:25 AM
Nice work chaps beats watching the football  ;-)up
Living the dream

• Beach Buggy
  • Evesham
  • Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:47:04 PM
Indeed, beats the disappointment of England!

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:56 PM
Had a few hours yesterday evening and the same today. So fuel tank is modded connected and loosely in, front body support made and fitted, column is in and all the back end wiring  done apart from needing one side light wire as the buggy loom only has a single feed to both like the headlamps but these will all have individual fuses for safety.
Chris is happy as the engine spins over if you touch the wires together up front.
Chris has tried unsuccessfully to fit the new screen bottom seal and has had to trim the T top sides as it was a mm or so wider than the channel slot half way in then it jams solid so work for another day.

• Beach Buggy
  • Evesham
  • Jas lwb
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:53 PM
Update of bits done today

1) prepared and painted wiper arms (now silver instead of rusty)

2) ordered last few bits needed (battery clamps/horn/bulbs)

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:59:35 PM
the pub wins tonight,
 so wiring from fuse boxes to lights is connected, column all connected with new wires soldered onto the ignition switch as the originals were well past it also got the plywood dash front panel cut and speedo/ switches fitted but now find the need to fit a top angle iron bar to the dash frame to mount it on.

• Beach Buggy
  • Evesham
  • Jas lwb
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:05:34 PM
Sounds like you've made huge progress!!!

I can get hold of some foam to go between the dash and leatherette, let me know if this would be good.

All other bits are ordered, would be with me by Tuesday.

Enjoy the pub!

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:39 PM
not got far with busy evenings and a long weekend in sunny Bournemouth but got home monday afternoon and did the centre filler mod + welded the tank holes, Chris delivered more parts so got a top bar welded on to the dash frame then mounted the dash. put a seat in the rough position so he could try getting in, out and driving position all 3 were good so dash and column are ok.
 tuesday was again no buggy work so late this afternoon started wiring up again and fitting the horns.
 not to far off now but this saturday will be a no buggy work day and sunday is in limbo.