Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 04:37:45 PM

Clutch question

This is a discussion for the topic Clutch question on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Clutch question  (Read 263 times)

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
on: June 01, 2014, 03:47:33 PM
So today I decided was the day to take the old engine out.   Didnt plan to put the new on in as I want to swop over some bits and I knew that there would be questions.

First one (and yes Shaggy I should know but I did say this would take pics for me to explain  :D)   .... Took the old engine out and this is the thrust bearing

and this is my old engine

Inteestingly looks to be a bit of wear on it....

And this is the replacement engine....

So do I need to change anything.... if its just the clut plate would I be wise going Kennedy Stage one as its a 1776 and will have twin Del 40s?

Many thanks in anticipation

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:09:43 PM
The new style clutch pressure plate'll be fine. It's just a different design (diaphragm rather than coil spring) but it'll match up with your release bearing OK.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Shaggy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • midlands
  • Limited edition Californian
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:11:10 PM
Will fit straight in ...no messing about. You shouldn't need a kennedy clutch. I would try it first and see how it goes then order one if it starts slipping under load.
I'm in my buggy,
It's raining,
I really don't care.

this user is offline Testa

• Buggy Baron
  • Swindon
  • Sidewinder
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:16:08 PM
I think Dave dream was or is having some issues with a slipping clutch and his engine is the same size as your new one I think. He did put a post up about going for a Kennedy clutch. My opinion if it were mine would be go for the Kennedy clutch while your engine is out now. The new clutch comes with all you need to fit it to that release bearing.

Testa
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's not broken!!!

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:43:32 PM
I've run a 1776 on a stock clutch in the past with no issues at all. TBH I don't think my knees would stand pressing on anything stronger these days...I'd suck it and see, if you need the engine out again it's only 4 bolts anyway... ;-)up
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:13:22 PM
David..... Yep my worry too