Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2020, 07:48:22 PM

Horn wiring!

This is a discussion for the topic Horn wiring! on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Horn wiring!  (Read 82 times)

this user is offline littledave

• Godalming, Surrey
  • Doon SWB
on: April 20, 2014, 12:04:49 PM
Happy Easter everyone, hope you're enjoying the bank holiday.

I'm trying the wire up the horn on my buggy. I know the horn works because I have a green wire coming from it that I keep touching against anything metal (earthed) and it goes off.

The steering column is already earthed because it is attached to the steering support bar which is the main earth for the front of the buggy.

The question is, how do I get the the live wire up the column to attach to the horn push. I'm using a steering boss for a momo steering wheel.

I'm don't think I'm over complicating this and I know the setup is the opposite to how VW intended. There is a wire for the horn on the plug on the steering column but I don't think this will help.

I'd rather use the horn push on the steering wheel rather than set one up on the dash.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

this user is offline ben_w

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:51 PM
There are people who know far more than me on the wiring front but, if you've got the plug on the steering column, then try connecting the green wire to that. The horn push then is essentially the switch which makes the circuit when you press it and sounds the horn.....I think.

6 Pots...stuff your bhp, torque is king

Green Sidewinder with a 6 pot lump

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:44:34 PM
There maybe differences over the years, but I have the standard '72 steering column and the key to getting the 12v supply up
the column and into the horn push and 'out' again, is in the moulded nylon sleeves that VW use to mount the steering
column bearing.

This sleeve insulates the bearing from its housing and the column that runs through it.

Power goes into the horn, out and up to a lug on the (stationary) outer race of the steering column bearing.

It then travels into and through the bearing to a friction plate type connection that allows the column to rotate.

I modified this to use a Mountney steering wheel and boss...... I made another nylon sleeve that receives a tophat shaped brass bush,
this enabled me to have contact with the steering boss and the inner race of the bearing, so transferring the 12v via a soldered wire
into the steering wheel boss cavity.

This nylon bush and sleeve is important because it allows the wire to rotate with the column and not just wrap around it as the steering wheel is turned.
The horn push has a second wire coming out of it that's attached to the Mountney boss body...... Pressing the horn push button transfers
the 12 volts to the column and earth.

And the horn goes off!

I hope this makes some sense  ;-)up

Peter
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'