Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 05:08:06 PM

piston ring gap

This is a discussion for the topic piston ring gap on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: piston ring gap  (Read 264 times)

this user is offline Mickyb

• Buggy Lord
  • Worcester Park
  • GP MK2 LWB
on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:32 PM
I've got my AA piston and barrel kit now for my 1800 type 4 engine.

Should I take out the pistons and check the ring gaps or should I trust they will be correct?

If they are correct I don't want to risk breaking one but also I don't know if you are suppose to check them your self.

The AA web site isn't any help and but I could check with heritage so I'm covered.

Cheers Mick

this user is offline Shaggy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • midlands
  • Limited edition Californian
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:00:47 PM
All should be fine mate if every thing is new stock.... Put it together it should be fine. Keep every thing clean. Change dirty gloves and use some engine oil on a one inch paint brush to coat the inside of the barrels to help slip the barrels over the piston rings ...  ;-)up
I'm in my buggy,
It's raining,
I really don't care.

this user is offline Mickyb

• Buggy Lord
  • Worcester Park
  • GP MK2 LWB
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:24:02 PM
Cheer Shaggy.

I've spent a couple of day tidying my workshop/shed. I cleared the work tops and cleaned it up I even vacuumed the walls and the celling.

I put down dust sheets and laid out all the parts all cleaned waiting to put it together. I still have a few bits to sort out before I start but it shouldn't be to long.

I've stripped cleaned and rebuild a couple of beetle engine before but this is different it has so may new parts I want to do it right so I'm taking my time.

Mick

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:00:51 PM
As Shaggy says if sold as a kit they should already be done, buying seperate piston ring sets is a different game and they need checking before fitting on the pistons.