Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 01:26:05 AM

Steering coupling info red ring of death

This is a discussion for the topic Steering coupling info red ring of death on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Steering coupling info red ring of death  (Read 3290 times)

this user is offline HUDGE BUGGY

• Buggy Meister
  • Lowestoft, Suffolk
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy LWB
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 02:56:54 PM
Another point to made here is that we are only a small percentage of VW beetle chassis owners on this forum restoring these 60 odd year old vehicles, what about VZI, beetleownersclub.co.uk and volks whatever  - they must be aware of this problem and have potentially the same companies sponsoring their forums. ::)
WE GET OLD COS WE STOP PLAYING

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
As a percentage, we are indeed small

But . . .  We are incredibly proactive and resourceful when it comes to stuff like this - we can also be very "noisy" too

Most other companies just look for money when it comes to sponsorship, and you will seldom see a forum owner actually posting anything

Thats what makes us a little different  ;)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline HUDGE BUGGY

• Buggy Meister
  • Lowestoft, Suffolk
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy LWB
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 03:24:03 PM

we can also be very "noisy" too

Know all about that Dave  ;D ;D
WE GET OLD COS WE STOP PLAYING

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:49 PM
I wrote to Machine 7 over a year ago pointing them to this thread, did not even get a reply. So since then I have given them the same ignoring.
Trouble is they pretty much all stock them.
We need to try to do something. Not only could we save lives but if the unthinkable did happen with this thread publicly predicting it the bureaucrats trying to stop any car mods would have a field day, and then all the suppliers would suffer as well so it is in their own interests to start putting safety before profit

Once we fix that maybe we then start on sub standard fake German bits from China
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline tucker217

• Beach Buggy
  • Glossop
  • Sidewinder 'SNORKEL' #1 (The Daddy)
    • Reflections Photography
Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:06 AM
Just stumbled across this thread, I have the red urethane one, I'm now going to change it.  Is this the best one to change it to:

https://www.vwheritage.com/251419417b-rubber-steering-coupling-vw-spare

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 10:06:11 AM
No go for one with reinforcing in so if the rubber cracks the material will still hold it together.

this user is offline HughBug

• Beach Buggy
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 01:13:03 PM
My coupling is showing signs of wear - is this one from Just Kampers OK?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Column-Coupling-For-VW-Beetle-1950-on-VW-T25-T31979-1992-111415417/292864177727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm not sure if it's reinforced or not though, so is there better? Cost not important over safety.

Cheers :)

Hugh the 2nd
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge :D

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
reinforced ones are hard to find, guessing it may be rubber and not urethane so will flex better without cracking.

• Beach Buggy
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 02:39:00 PM
Well, this one is stamped 'Germany' and has the same part number as a lot of others, and pretty definitely rubber rather than urethane.

Silly question time - will it just be a matter of unbolting, replacing and then re-bolting the coupling?

Hugh the 2nd
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge :D

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 05:55:30 PM
an easy swap just check the column earth wire is in good condition whilst removed.

• Beach Buggy
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2020, 06:50:02 PM
 ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 02:05:32 PM
reinforced ones are hard to find, guessing it may be rubber and not urethane so will flex better without cracking.

Reinforced available from either just kampers or heritage. (forget wish). However because most people seem to want the cheapest item they can get the ring is "special order only". (Presume they don`t want to hold a stock that will cost in overheads).

It is not cheap. 35.00 last time I looked.

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 02:32:13 PM

Reinforced available from either just kampers or heritage. (forget wish). However because most people seem to want the cheapest item they can get the ring is "special order only". (Presume they don`t want to hold a stock that will cost in overheads).

It is not cheap. 35.00 last time I looked.

But will probably last more than 3.5 times as long as one costing a tenner, and you don't have to keep refitting and you will probably survive if it does rot

Pay the money and do it properly,. there's no backup steering
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Beach Buggy
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 03:17:29 PM
Agreed, I would pay for and get reinforced if I could, but neither Just Kampers or Heritage show them on their websites ;)

This one looks to be the right type but I need to check if they ship to the UK - https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/front-axle-steering/steering/3369/

Hugh the 2nd

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 04:40:30 PM
Agreed, I would pay for and get reinforced if I could, but neither Just Kampers or Heritage show them on their websites ;)

This one looks to be the right type but I need to check if they ship to the UK - https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/front-axle-steering/steering/3369/

Hugh the 2nd

I've bought from them before they do ship to the UK