Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 09:41:16 PM

Towing your Buggy (A-frames etc.)

This is a discussion for the topic Towing your Buggy (A-frames etc.) on the board Beach Buggy General Help.

Author Topic: Towing your Buggy (A-frames etc.)  (Read 24571 times)

this user is offline Brookster

• Dewsbury
  • Doon SWB
Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 05:04:37 PM
update - Just collected my Doon Buggy after the A - Frame has been fitted @ Armitage trailer - Ferrybridge Yorkshire 

great service and quality item, they even give you a 1 hour training on how to use it .

it tow's great , doesn't feel like anything is on the back compared to the trailer with my racecar on .

SWB Doon No 16
1641cc Twin Weber 34ICT

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 08:14:31 AM
Just out of curiosity what does this frame cost ?  ;-)up

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 04:44:23 PM
I bought my A-frame secondhand from ebay for 150
the brake cable was made by speedy cables for 30
Electrics cost me about 20
Probably spent around 50 in metal to make my framework

250 or thereabouts for mine (done on the cheap), and bet I saved well in excess of a grand by doing it myself with secondhand bits.
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 10:35:22 AM
Dave....  I think you will not be far short in your estimate of savings.

Quick query...  regarding electrics\towed vehicle braking  on-off..  Did you use a solenoid or something like a reversible stepper motor to actuate the brake pedal. Or is there something much simpler ? Just wondering what motivates the cable linkage to the brake pedal.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:04 PM
Dave....  I think you will not be far short in your estimate of savings.

Quick query...  regarding electrics\towed vehicle braking  on-off..  Did you use a solenoid or something like a reversible stepper motor to actuate the brake pedal. Or is there something much simpler ? Just wondering what motivates the cable linkage to the brake pedal.

Have a read a few posts back - brakes are covered  ;)

http://www.beachbuggy.info/index.php/topic,3845.msg100310.html#msg100310

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Meister
  • MANX SWB
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 02:41:33 PM
Cheers Dave.... Think I follow now.... I see the "bellows" section is the "motivator" for cable movement

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:46 PM
I read recently the requirement for a jockey wheel to prevent the towing device from digging into the ground shout the "trailer" become detached

this user is offline Hormone

• Meathop, Cumbria
Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 09:37:28 PM
Hi All.

I've been absent for quite a while (I explained why when I re introduced myself in the newbie section) but I'm now back and wanting to get the buggy properly on the road this summer.

Above is a pic of the Flintmobile ( so named after a mate said that with the roof on it looks like Fred Flintstone's car) being towed behind my old Talbot before the buggy got vandalised.
Anyway as detailed earlier in this topic the Empi A frame is a thing of the past except for a breakdown recovery so I've now bought a Towtal A frame and am looking at ways to mount it to the buggy and operate the brake pedal. I'm happy to stick with a lighting board for electrics.

Roadrunner has kindly sent me some links for the kit he used for his and obviously there are some pictures on here of various set ups but if anyone has more detailed pics or other designs I'd love to see and hear them.
I like Roadrunner's idea of the lighting rig clamps around the lower beam and am thinking of possibly mounting them to a length of square box section which I can then rig up some method of attaching the brake cable to.

As I say any ideas, working designs, photo's etc would be great.

I've just finished doing a lot of jobs on the Talbot and am hoping to start work on the Flintmobile this weekend  :)

Cheers.
Bri
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:40:59 AM by Manxdavid »
"One life, live it to the full"