Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 10:41:21 PM

Fuel piping, clips and fuel filter

This is a discussion for the topic Fuel piping, clips and fuel filter on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Fuel piping, clips and fuel filter  (Read 1144 times)

this user is offline ben_w

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
on: February 24, 2013, 12:36:32 PM
All,

Starting now to look at the finishing bits i need to do, specifically around the fueling supply amongst others.

I want to make sure that the supply pipes are secured correctly (p-clips id guess?) and that its as safe as possible. I seem mention of hard lining the fuel supply as much as possible around the engine. Anyone got any info on this?

Secondly, given the increasing ethanol content of modern petrol, i want to make sure im using the correct piping. Cant remember what the designation is for the correct, modern stuff? Seen too many horror stories about people narrowly avoiding disaster after finding rotten piping.

Any pointers please?

Thanks

Ben

6 Pots...stuff your bhp, torque is king

Green Sidewinder with a 6 pot lump

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:42:31 PM

given the increasing ethanol content of modern petrol, i want to make sure im using the correct piping

THAT is a very good question, and one that I would like to see answered if at all possible.....

Peter  :)
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:48 PM
Having googled and had a look, it seems the fuel pipe needs to be SAE 30 R9. Codan seem to be the daddies for it.

Also looks like the ethanol mix in fuel gets raised to 10% this year, from 5%. Seems the states maybe up to 15% soon too.

Good info page from Frost here

So thats the fuel hose thing sorted. There is a guy on VZi who sells it. I have messaged him. ANyone got any more info on using hard fuel pipe in the engine bay?

Thanks

this user is offline davydoff

• Buggy Lord
  • Frodsham, Cheshire
  • LWB RAT
    • Michell Associates Ltd
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:44:33 PM
I think the guy on VZI is scaling back, theres plenty of R9 pipe on ebay, also look for marine suppliers as boat builders use it i think

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:17 PM
Brilliant info Guy's :)

Does this mean the VW fixed fuel pipe in the chassis is fine with this stuff ?

Peter
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:13 PM
Yeah, they are scaling back hut think they are still trading.

Pete, yes. Its only the soft lines that appear to be affected. The metal fuel lines look to be ok.

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:09:54 PM
Also worth noting as well, a lot of the ebay stuff isnt what it says it is..........  :o

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:11 PM
trouble is the fuel will eat the tank, pump and carb as well from what has been put in the classic car magazines guess it depends on how fast it does it.

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:56 PM
Yep, from what I understand Keith is right. Putting the occasional fuel additive into the tank may be the answer for the buggies. (less of an issue for new cars)
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:41:57 PM
really need to do some research ino the best stuff around, trouble is there is no proven history to look at.

this user is offline Zebethyal

• Beach Buggy
  • Harrow
  • '65 SWB Volksrod Mk III
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:40 AM
Methanol/Ethanol is nasty stuff, in neat form, you get it on your skin, it will leach in and eventually send you mad (if you are not already :) )

Ethanol is just one more carbon atom than Methanol - Methanol = 1 carbon atom, Ethanol = 2 carbon atoms, Propanol = 3 carbon atoms, Butanol = 4 carbon atoms.

The exhaust gasses from an engine run on pure Methanol/Ethanol smells sickly sweet, but becomes cloying if you are in an enclosed space with it and will make your eyes water.

It also burns with a clear flame, so you cannot see that someone/something is on fire. you can walk into a Methanol fire and not know about it until you are on fire yourself. When the Methanol cars come round at the drag strips, the fire marshals all put their balaclavas on and pick up their fire extinguishers - just in case

It also eats uncoated aluminium and rubber, so if using aluminium fittings, annodising them is best, any one that runs their car on the stuff usually flushes the fuel system, rather than leaving it sitting in the fuel lines.

Methanol/Ethanol burns cold, so will aid with keeping engine temperatures down, you will find 'lean-out' valves on Methanol drag cars to try and warm up the engine.

You need twice as much of it as standard gasoline for the same 'bang', however you can run really rich before you hit a power drop off, unlike gasoline where there is a fine line between rich and too rich.

The main worry with Methanol cars is running way too rich and 'hydro-locking' the piston (can't compress a liquid) and pushing a rod through the case.

It also gets past the oil rings and into your oil and eventually turns it to a 'custard' like consistency.

You also don't need to worry about 'crud' in your fuel system as the Methanol/Ethanol will simply dissolve/eat it.

All of these benefits/detriments will be present to a much lesser degree with 10-15% Ethanol in standard gasoline, and engine/car manufacturers will aim take advantage of /minimise them, more of an issue for those of us with 20+ year old vehicles that were originally designed to run on the crappiest 2* (or worse) fuel that could be found at the time.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

• Buggy Meister
  • Leicestershire
  • Sidewinder
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:28 AM
Zeb,

Many thanks for that, a typically very informative post!

Ive found a seller reasonably locally to me who stocks the SAE 30 R9 stuff, which as far as i can find is the most up to date, modern fuel hose there is.

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
Found this stuff by chance, but it does say "ETHANOLMATE should overcome many of the problems associated with the inclusion of ethanol in petrol but will not address material compatibility issues." so doesnt solve rubber fuel pipe issues.

Here if you want to try it
http://www.flexolite.co.uk/cat.asp
search for ETANOLMATE

I will probably get some when I order my fuel filter from them
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"