Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 09:26:42 PM

Are cool tins any good?

This is a discussion for the topic Are cool tins any good? on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Are cool tins any good?  (Read 1107 times)

this user is offline Fran_GP

• Buggy Addict
  • Milton Keynes
  • One off Ginger Sidewinder
on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:33 AM
The tins on my engine are looking a bit tatty and in need of a repsray, so to save me some hassle and perhaps to beef up the cooling I was thinking of getting some of these. They also look a bit diferent which I quite like. :) :) :)

http://www.limebug.net/product/view/1761/cylinder-head-cool-tins-sold-in-pairs

Anyone used them or got views on if they work or are a bad idea?

Cheers

Fran  8) 8) 8)

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:42:24 PM
Acording to those that I belive (Gene Berg and John Maher to name two) they're fine on the Type 3 engines that they originated on but not as good as the little standard tins on a Type 1. You can't really see them very well when they're fitted anyway. Has your rebuilt engine not come back with the pushrod tubes fitted/ valve gear set up etc. anyway?
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Addict
  • Milton Keynes
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:13:19 PM
Acording to those that I belive (Gene Berg and John Maher to name two) they're fine on the Type 3 engines that they originated on but not as good as the little standard tins on a Type 1. You can't really see them very well when they're fitted anyway. Has your rebuilt engine not come back with the pushrod tubes fitted/ valve gear set up etc. anyway?
Am guessing then that you have to fit this stye of tin on build up then? In which case it'll be an avoid as it will come back to me fully built up with tubes and valve gear done.

Thanks for the steer David - hope all's well with you.

Cheers

Fran  8) 8) 8)

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
Just make sure that the engine builder has fitted the deflector plates, they clip on under the cylinders, you can't fit them (or the alternative 'cool-tins') once the pushrod tubes etc. are in place.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Addict
  • Milton Keynes
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
Just make sure that the engine builder has fitted the deflector plates, they clip on under the cylinders, you can't fit them (or the alternative 'cool-tins') once the pushrod tubes etc. are in place.
Will do.  ;-)up ;-)up ;-)up

Cheers

Fran  8) 8) 8)

this user is offline Shaggy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • midlands
  • Limited edition Californian
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:47 PM
they are very similar I think to type 4 under tins if I remember...Farmer rob may know better...but I do think they are superior to the old T1 flat plate design
I'm in my buggy,
It's raining,
I really don't care.

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:24 PM
You would be better buying some cool sun glasses. The type that no one recognises you when you are wearing them.   That way no Ginge embarrassment  ;D

I looked into these some time ago and so many different views about them.  I did look at some that were not fitted and the quality was very poor (Cool air supplied ones).  So decided not to bother and went down the colour coded push rod protectors... though I dont remember seeing them in Ginge....

• Buggy Addict
  • Milton Keynes
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:49 PM
I looked into these some time ago and so many different views about them.  I did look at some that were not fitted and the quality was very poor (Cool air supplied ones).  So decided not to bother and went down the colour coded push rod protectors... though I dont remember seeing them in Ginge....
My pushrod tubes are very ginge so don't want to cover those up at all........................autumn sunset and proud of it!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Fran  8) 8) 8)

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:33 PM
 :) ;D :) ;-)up