Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2020, 01:39:30 PM

Rear earth points on a Doon?

This is a discussion for the topic Rear earth points on a Doon? on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Rear earth points on a Doon?  (Read 331 times)

this user is offline littledave

• Godalming, Surrey
  • Doon SWB
on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:49 AM
Been doing quite a bit of research into the location and type of earth connection at the rear of my buggy, but i'm still stumped!

I'm building a Doon and have earth points on the steering support bar at the front, but need some advice on where to put one at the back and what type of connectors/blocks people are using.

If possible I would love some photos and suppliers of bits please.

I have run a black 25mm2 from my cut off switch to the back of the buggy so I have an earth feed.  I obviously need to connect this to a terminal block of some description so I can take my feeds off this.  Ideally i'd like to find a way of attaching the earth block without an obvious visible fixing!

I know i'm asking a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Dave

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:28 AM
I bought some marine quality connection blocks with covers and fitted a pair either side of the firewall.  These are joined together and connected to the chassis via the metal supports for the cage brace and rear seat belt mounts.
Plenty of earth connections whenever you need them.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:17:42 AM
Otherwise… I used trailer cable running either side of the tub (not a Doon though) but the result was I had 26 wires of differing cores, running front and back and so just had all the earths connected at the front. (well of course apart from the main chassis, gearbox, engine one of course)
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:18:56 PM
you only need an earth for the lights at the rear and the engine/box is already earthed so you can take the wire back to that.
the earth requirements depend on the lights fitted but you may have only 3 l/h r/h and number plate light and if they are jouinded through the loom run you may only have one earth wire.

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:00:39 PM
Hi Dave

I have some pictures of what I do and the blocks I use when I wire up the doons.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Chad
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:32 PM
Chad has some good ideas with this, and I just ran all earth wires back up to the front
and connected each one to twin wing pop rivet tabs fitted to my steering support bar. Where upon
one big cable earth's the whole lot to the chassis in one place...

What I like with this is that you can pre connect some coiled up cables should you ever need one in the future..

Peter
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:13:18 PM
i have a ground connection running from the front to the back.

this splits to each side with a brass terminal block on each side
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:54 PM
I have always tried to keep cabling as short as possible so prefer connector blocks at front and back
Pros, it keeps the cabling short
        reduces cables in the side tubes
Cons, a bit harder to weatherproof if in engine bay

Mine have been on the firewall for a couple of years and are still clean but must be good quality, also the earth connection to the chassis, gearbox or engine must be good, I usually coat them with grease. I have seen earths going to a rusty self tapper and people wondering why their lights are dim or flickering (no one on here I hasten to add).
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline apmaman

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:37 PM
'but its earthed to the bolt'  ;D
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:35 PM
Hi Dave

I use a durite 0-005-35 6 way brass terminal for earths.

As Snoopy says, the only real earths on the rear are for the rear lights and possibly oil cooler and maybe Alternator body.

The battery should be connected to the chassis at the (for those thinking 'at the front'  - its a doon, so battery is up front) with a relatively thick wire, as the earth through the chassis is needed to power the starter motor - making sure the gearbox is wired across to the chassis horn at the back too....

So, you only need a relatively lower wattage cable from the battery negative to the terminal block at the back to provide the earth for the lights.

I then bolt this with a ring connector through the terminal making the whole block the earth. Alternatively use a blade for the main earth wire and fix to one of the points on the earth block. this means the block can be resin bonded to the rear of the tub, hiding the fixings

Or the terminal can be bolted through the shell at the back with small button head allan head bolts - Can be seen but not very intrusive, or even through the rubber ducting if no visible fixings are required.

You can just make out the allen head bolts (only a M4 or M5) on this picture, just to the side of the rear seat belt fixings, above the internal rear wheel arches

If you need only a couple or so of these terminal blocks I have a pack of 50 here so could pop a couple in the post.

Chad
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline littledave

• Godalming, Surrey
  • Doon SWB
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 03:31:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies chaps. 

I haven't actually earthed my chassis as I was going to earth the gearbox at the back with big earth cable I have in place.  Looks like that will be coming out and being replaced with a small cable, this can then earth the rear of the buggy and the larger cable I'll attach at the front somewhere.  Ideas on where is best? And put in the gearbox strap!

I have spent ages looking for those 6 pin earthing points but can only find a pack of 50, bit excessive as I'll only use two.  This is what i was hoping to use.  So, Chad, if it's okay with you I'll take you up on that offer.  I'll send a PM or email.

Thanks again for all your ideas.

Dave