Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 09:51:59 PM

34 ict throttle spring

This is a discussion for the topic 34 ict throttle spring on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: 34 ict throttle spring  (Read 1054 times)

this user is offline billa4x4

• Buggy Lord
  • billingham
  • purple 1776 sidewinder
on: February 23, 2013, 05:47:18 PM
Have fitted dual 34 ict to buggy after setting up throttle cable accelerator pedal wont fully go back to start position and carbs wont fully close off got weber kit from eurocarb will i have to get better springs or modify somehow ?
I wandered lonely as a cloud ............................bloody hell i'm a cumulus nimbus

this user is offline AndyRobinson

• ... and NO!!! Its not a hairdressers car! ;)
  • Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
    • www.print465.com - Great Value Print & Design
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:03 PM
Assuming the idle screws are set ok (am sure they will be), then yes often the springs are a bit weak and getting some tighter springs will do the job nicely.
My Youtube channel
1965 Blue metal flake Sidewinder
Proudly BOUGHT not BUILT .... but rebuilt it anyway!!!

this user is offline Inigo

• Buggy Obsessed
  • Bedfordshire
  • Classic Manx
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:28:48 PM
Hi, post up a picture of the linkage is it moving freely/properly set up??? when i stripped all mne down and put back had the same problem but with slight ajustment and care all worked smoothly is it both carbs racing off or just one side being held open??? What linkage are you using mine is a bell crank and not the prettiest of affairs, but have no room for hex bar type....if you are using hex bar does it all move freely before connectiong throttle cable???

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:29 PM
And another minor check (quite unlikely) is the spring in the passenger footwell working OK too (under the guard plate if fitted)
My Youtube channel

this user is offline billa4x4

• Buggy Lord
  • billingham
  • purple 1776 sidewinder
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:05:07 AM
Its hex bar linkage moves freely without cable attached
I wandered lonely as a cloud ............................bloody hell i'm a cumulus nimbus

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:14 AM
And another minor check (quite unlikely) is the spring in the passenger footwell working OK too (under the guard plate if fitted)

Never seen a spring under there Andrew there is one on the pedal  a sort of butterfly spring and one on the carb. Too many springs can result in excessive force to move initially but then they go a long way giving a jerky on or off throttle with no gradual progression.

as for Billa's problem disconnect a carb and see if it works correctly then try the other you have a tight spot somewhere.

this user is offline Peter

• Buggy Veteran
  • Kent
  • Manx2 UK-00-25
    • Your Buggy's
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:06 AM
Even and progressive alignment and clamp down with these assemblies is crucial...

As sometimes the assemblies have built in slack here and there and it can add up.

Try to lock things up in a set order so as to minimise changes to the linkage and other components.

Just a thought  :)

Peter
'We desperately need to bring nature and green, back into contact with people'

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Leighton Buzzard
  • '65 Blue Sidewinder
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:29 AM

Never seen a spring under there Andrew there is one on the pedal  a sort of butterfly spring .

Oh yes, come to think of it, you're right, sorry my memory isn't what it used to be Kevin  :-[ :-[ ;) :D :D :D
My Youtube channel

this user is offline Krug

• Buggy Meister
  • Tintwistle
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:01 PM
I have had this problem.   I did and still have an additional spring on the side that was not closing.  However I really dont think this cured the problem.  One day when I had several hours to kill a mate and I basically sat and freed up ever possible adjustment.  When everything was loose we played around for ages moving things around.  Sliding the blocks that attach to the hex bar, adjusting the (dont know the official name) rods that go to the carbs and so on.   

Eventually we found a position for all of it which worked and closed the carbs.  I left the additional spring on for just in case ... though I did run them without and they closed perfectly.

I remember this was a pain and took ages to do.  Previous attempts had failed mainly due to not getting everything loose and leaving some things tight (aka jammed solid - when it came to the adjusters on the ends of the rods).