Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 04:00:30 PM

Oil level on scat deep sump

This is a discussion for the topic Oil level on scat deep sump on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Oil level on scat deep sump  (Read 547 times)

this user is offline Aaron1776

• Beach Buggy
  • Basildon Essex
  • Sidewinder
on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:54 AM
Hi guys I now have a deep sump but have found this wright up on allcooled.net
I think I still need to use the level on the dipstick as if the deep sump was not there but this is what I found when I was checking  :o

Not many people know this, but the PROPER method of setting your oil level when you are running a deep sump, is to run it 1/2 quart "Low". In other words, on your dipstick the "Add" mark becomes your "Full" mark, and the bottom of the dipstick becomes your "Add" mark. Even doing this you have an additional quart of oil! This lower oil level will lessen oil droplets getting whipped up and blown into your air filter or breather box!

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:05:49 AM
The original purpose of deep sumps was to keep the oil around the pick-up strainer to save the possibility of starvation on things like slalom and autotest cars, so they're correct in that way, but that was before the days of monster motors and high capacity oil pumps etc. I usually like to keep mine between the low and the half way marks.

Don't you just love the way the Americans use the expession 1/2 a quart rather than a pint!!!

Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:07:46 AM
Not an expert but it makes some sense that a big reservoir of oil lower down lets you lower the top level although I think a lot of lubrication is actually achieved by the moving parts chucking it about alongside the pump feeding it to the more remote bits.
Something to beware of is the way they ask you to extend the oil pickup pipe by pushing a slotted metal tube over it and clamping with a jubilee clip, I could not see how that would ever fully seal so it must suck oil in through the joint as well as from the bottom of the sump.

I have thrown that away and got a length of steel pipe connected by heat and oil proof rubber tube.  This also helps you align the pickup in the strainer, an absolute nightmare with the solid connection tehy supply

Now we are back to the old scenario of do you want to corner, dump the sump of oil into a rocker cover, and suck air through the pipe joint?  Sort of defeats the object of a deep sump anyway.

An ordinary sump still whips up oil droplets so back to the thread on breather boxes  :o :o

My setup is a breather box and deep sump.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Beach Buggy
  • Basildon Essex
  • Sidewinder
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:09:02 AM
Thanks guys the new pick up pipe found its way to the bin and a steel one was welded in place
The mesh filter has not been replaced but I have a full flow set up with a HP1 filter
So I think that surfactant

Aaron

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:58 AM
Don't get me started on the subject of doing away with the standard oil strainer of on the quality of recent Fram products, I'm supposed to be watching my blood pressure...  ::)

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Beach Buggy
  • Basildon Essex
  • Sidewinder
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:24 AM
Would you recommend fitting the strainer
As well as the filter must admit I had both in the
Old engine but no deep sump

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:03 AM
I'd always fit the strainer, every production engine that I've ever come across has had one fitted as well as the full flow filter. I've always seen it as free protection for the oil pump from any bits of old fuel pump pedestal, broken valve stem seals or bits of gasket sealant that may be lurking in odd corners.

• Beach Buggy
  • Basildon Essex
  • Sidewinder
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:18:05 AM
I'd always fit the strainer, every production engine that I've ever come across has had one fitted as well as the full flow filter. I've always seen it as free protection for the oil pump from any bits of old fuel pump pedestal, broken valve stem seals or bits of gasket sealant that may be lurking in odd corners.

Very good point thanks mate

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:54:33 PM
you can reduce oil droplets in the breather system by fitting a gauze inside the rocker boxes so oil collects on them and returns to the motor instead of getting pushed up the pipes.

• Beach Buggy
  • Basildon Essex
  • Sidewinder
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:25:07 PM
you can reduce oil droplets in the breather system by fitting a gauze inside the rocker boxes so oil collects on them and returns to the motor instead of getting pushed up the pipes.

Thanks mate