Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 06:08:17 PM

saloon on log book

This is a discussion for the topic saloon on log book on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: saloon on log book  (Read 263 times)

this user is offline 93fxdl

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 04:52:17 PM
In the past, dvla used to issue new registrations, a firm I used to work for had some foreign  registered trucks, which gained a current registration number when imported, remember it is date of registration  not necessarily  date of manufacture. You are dealing  with a system which has been chopped  and changed, left open to  interpretation, so anything  is possible.
Mercedes lost a shipment of  cars for ten years  then sold as new on current  registration when they found them
Ttfn Glenn

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 06:40:22 PM
quite a few beetles changed from saloon to convertible with the wizard and windjammer conversions then other people just cut the roof off and fitted a folding soft top cheaper than a genuine cabriolet in the day these are not reregistered just change of body type.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 06:58:33 PM
In the past, dvla used to issue new registrations, a firm I used to work for had some foreign  registered trucks, which gained a current registration number when imported, remember it is date of registration  not necessarily  date of manufacture. You are dealing  with a system which has been chopped  and changed, left open to  interpretation, so anything  is possible.
Mercedes lost a shipment of  cars for ten years  then sold as new on current  registration when they found them
Ttfn Glenn

Since SVA/IVA came in in 20+ years ago it actually cleared up the 'open to interpretation' bit. Fewer than 8 points, and 8 points are impossible to attain with any chassis mods, it needs to pass IVA to be legal.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:54:57 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 08:50:46 PM
Fully agree with David the rules are the rules since late 1998 anyone building a swb or space frame should have gone through SVA IvA there is no excuse which is why I buy and do up old buggies not build new ones.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:09 PM

My advice is see the forum (Dave DND thread) re: registering your buggy. Don’t pray around trying to avoid no MOT, etc Just be safe .

this user is online jambo

• Sunny Somerset
  • GP
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 06:00:54 PM

My advice is see the forum (Dave DND thread) re: registering your buggy. Don’t pray around trying to avoid no MOT, etc Just be safe .

Quite agree i still have my Minis mot'ed its a fresh set of eyes  8)
i have read dave post so many times  ;-)up will keep my eye out for any old buggy ! wish i hadnt sold my Gp now should have just changed the bonnet and put a screen on it  ::)

• Sunny Somerset
  • GP
Reply #21 on: Today at 09:52:58 AM
How hard is it to find one with the correct log  :o they all seem to be saloon's or worst still beetle one has had bug on it but not one as convertible  :-\ by the way looking for a short wheel base i know this makes it harder  ::)

• Sunny Somerset
  • GP
Reply #22 on: Today at 09:58:17 AM

this is really nice but mot checker say no !  :(

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #23 on: Today at 10:49:37 AM

this is really nice but mot checker say no !  :(

You'd need to go by what it actually says on the V5C, the wrong MOT description could have been put in by a confused tester, MOT and DVLA use different data bases.

Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.