Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 06:12:35 PM

Quality wire for buggy build

This is a discussion for the topic Quality wire for buggy build on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Quality wire for buggy build  (Read 153 times)

this user is offline Roman

on: February 20, 2021, 02:10:25 PM
I am also starting to build a wiring loom. Thank you to all those who have posted such useful information here. I do have a question about the quality of wire to purchase? (Not a loom as I am happy to build my own).
I have seen RS components detail the specs of their thin wall auto wire which really helps, however they are more expensive than kit car solutions etc. I would rather pay for quality. Anyone have trusted supplies they would recommend?
Many thanks, Roman

this user is offline Roman

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 02:17:54 PM
Example!

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 02:24:59 PM
I usually strip down lengths of 7 core trailer cable for most circuits on a buggy. ;-)up

Most of the caravans on driveways round here don't move from one year to the next, they hardly need lights ;D
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 02:25:52 PM
I have often found RS to be overpriced - sure, quality is generally good, but you will be paying top dollar for the RS association.

For general wiring stuff that we do here, we buy 100m rolls which can work out quite expensive if making a one off loom, especially as you would need a roll for each colour. For some of the wiring, where you only need a few meters of a particular colour, or even the cables with a striped identifier, I would suggest to make a list of the lengths you want and search for a thinwall automotive cable supplier through the likes of ebay as they will sell it by the meter rather than the roll. Buy what you can in one hit to save on the postage. For very heavy cable and audio cable, yes, spend a bit for some good quality, but the general purpose stuff, I`ve not noticed much difference between suppliers.

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 02:50:14 PM
Snoopy kindly steered me to these suppliers for re-wiring the MantaRay:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/
Hugh

this user is offline Chad

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Kempsey, Worcestershire
  • Doon SWB
    • Doon Buggies
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:39 AM
I agree with Hugh. I have done a lot of cost comparisons across the wire suppliers and AES are generally good value for money and good quality cable too which you can buy by the metre or in a roll.
If you are looking for other parts like cut off switches, fuseboards or rolls of single colour wire then Beal.org.uk is so worth a look too.
And buy thin wall cable.
The Classic Evovles
www.doon.co.uk

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:48:22 PM
Agree with all the above except I got let down by AES - they lie a lot too. Vehicle Wiring Products are great for cable and their prices include vat on the site (same price as AES).
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:52:28 PM
RS are a supplier for us. Standard is good, price isn’t. I’d go with Chad’s recommendation.
 ;-)up
Paul