Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 07:29:44 AM

Brakes and steering

This is a discussion for the topic Brakes and steering on the board Beach Buggy Body and Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Brakes and steering  (Read 329 times)

this user is offline Gary Hagger

• Fuerteventura
  • Unknown
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 03:49:05 PM
A bit of all that, just while she's in the fixing stage trying to get it as right as I can.
Flat out doing nothing.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 09:47:04 PM

Get her doing press-ups and curls. Far cheaper, more stratifying. She’s fiitter and will enjoy  ;D ;D :-\ ;-)(-;

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:43 AM
Here are some words on my experience...  Buggy was built upon a chassis from a 1975 Beetle. Beetle arrived on a transporter and I drove it off and onto my drive. That`s as far as it got as when pressing accl`l pedal the whole thing went through the floor hanging in free air. The Beetle had a 300mm dia Mountney steering wheel. My buggy build has been a complete nut and bolt build from scratch so every thing fully rebuilt or new.

The Mountney is still in place for the moment. Earlier in this thread mention was made of modern track rod ends being especially stiff to move the threaded ends. I have all new track rod ends fitted. A new steering damper in place. (Have had to replace both outer end track rod ends due to the "rubber" boots falling apart despite zero road use). That means 4 outer track rod ends in total. All of these ends were/are so stiff I could not move the ball end in the socket by hand. I can say that the track rod ends available from VW main agents back in the seventies moved freely when bought new. The steering damper is very stiff but I have no recollection of how it compares with past originals.

I have my camber, tracking, track arm lengths, etc all set to original spec until I get some miles on the buggy. New CSP front disc conversion.

The reason for going into detail is that you described your experience of stiff steering at low speed. This is how I would describe my buggy as I pull it out of garage and put back in. (Not been on road at all yet). 

Jack up front end and you can turn the steering wheel with one hand from lock to lock with ease. Lower to ground, sit in, and you need shoulder muscle exertion to turn the wheel when buggy moves.

Fit the standard beetle steering wheel and the improvement is immense....

So there you are I probably have a compound effect. Small steering wheel plus ultra stiff track rod ends.....

Good look with your buggy  ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline Gary Hagger

• Fuerteventura
  • Unknown
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 08:56:58 AM
Thanks everyone, buggy in work shop. Taking everyone's advice, looking at thinner front wheels. Getting stuff over here is hard, Dave where did you get the steering wheel? Nothing here at all and when I find something online they don't ship here.
I will keep asking questions and post my progress. Thanks again.
Gary
Flat out doing nothing.

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:22 AM
When getting a steering wheel take into account clearance to the gearstick. 

Don't know how tall you are but I'm 6 foot 2 and use a dished wheel with an extended boss so I can get the seat back far enough to get space between the wheel and gearstick for my knee
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 10:15:40 AM
Thanks everyone, buggy in work shop. Taking everyone's advice, looking at thinner front wheels. Getting stuff over here is hard, Dave where did you get the steering wheel? Nothing here at all and when I find something online they don't ship here.
I will keep asking questions and post my progress. Thanks again.
Gary

Post a close up pic of the centre of your steering wheel. You can probably get one to fit your current center boss to save a few $$$.

Email it to me if you can't post here. bullbaydavid@yahoo.com
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Roadrunner

• Buggy Meister
  • Henlow, Bedfordshire, UK
  • FF LWB
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 01:19:05 PM
Getting stuff over here is hard.

I'm sure if you ask nicely on here, you'll find someone willing to hand courier items over to Fuerteventura for you in a few months time.