Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 07:14:34 PM

electrical journey begins

This is a discussion for the topic electrical journey begins on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: electrical journey begins  (Read 2105 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #60 on: April 05, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Here is the Mountney centre "push button that I have......  It has a centre contact. (In this case it is a crimp for a bare ended wire and it has not been used yet). You may have this or a standard spade connections.  Now then to the 1 or 2 spades..... In this case the 2nd connection is via a spring  steel plate that doubles as the push button securing  clips. This spring clips allow the push button to remain in place in the steering wheel boss. I do not have a wire running down the  centre of the steel shaft. My steering column shaft is hollow but the top has a waxy blank plug in place as from new. As you have this wire this will be the reason you have two connectors.   Negative wire from your horn up to switch copper U. Friction contact from copper U to slip ring. Slip ring wire to push button contact. Other push button contact to wire going down steel shaft. Across rubber ring via flexi braid or solid wire, On through steering box to chassis ground.

(Note this photo shows an alternative style, all metal, slip ring but this is just to show an option. It was not with the Mountney boss).

Additional photo showing how VW did it originally .....

this user is offline johnbrunt

Reply #61 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:53 PM
hi yes makes perfect sense - i havenít been over to the lock up today or this weekend but the more i look at the photo of my indicator stalk - i reckon there is a white / grey wire visible - which i have previously said was left over - and just tied up out the way

if this is the case then itís problem solved i guess as i now have a connection for the earth wire from the horn - why itís grey / white i donít
know - but it certainly looks like a wire
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:13:48 PM by johnbrunt »

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:14 AM
Don`t be baffled by wire colours... VW changed them for reasons only they know. Reproduction parts can have any colours under the sun. I always check via continuity any wire to physical mechanism each and every time. Despite all my time with auto electrics I still miss bridged connections. Wiped out an £85 indicator switch in seconds last year. 

Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 08:32:19 AM
but that looks like a wire right ?...as it looks like itís crimped to the brass u section ?

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 11:12:47 AM
Grey means lighting circuit on VW.

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 05:35:13 PM
but that looks like a wire right ?...as it looks like itís crimped to the brass u section ?

Yes

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb

Reply #67 on: April 08, 2021, 10:40:48 AM
hooray....pleased to say the white wire is the horn earth ....connected upto horn and with a permanent supply and the button connected and the boss touching the brass u connects i now have noise !.....

and as an aside ive just ran the engine on the turn of the key for the first time in 12 months - feel like iím getting there

• Buggy Veteran
  • MANX SWB
Reply #68 on: April 08, 2021, 11:23:05 AM
This makes things so worthwhile.  You have a functioning horn and ignition system.   A little bit of perseverence goes a long way. You have earned an auto electrician badge and a well done from me..   ;-)up

Reply #69 on: April 08, 2021, 11:55:01 AM
This makes things so worthwhile.  You have a functioning horn and ignition system.   A little bit of perseverence goes a long way. You have earned an auto electrician badge and a well done from me..   ;-)up

😀😀😀😀😀👍

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #70 on: April 08, 2021, 03:54:36 PM
 ;-)up

Reply #71 on: April 09, 2021, 01:20:09 PM
is it possible to post brief videos somehow ?...

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #72 on: April 09, 2021, 01:39:35 PM
is it possible to post brief videos somehow ?...

Afraid not as videos inherently have hackable security risks for the site   :'(
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk