Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 04:44:18 PM

electrical journey begins

This is a discussion for the topic electrical journey begins on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: electrical journey begins  (Read 2510 times)

this user is offline johnbrunt

Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
slowly making progress - hopefully everything will suddenly start to take shape.

the ignition switch that i have has four wires all soldered to it

there is a red, red black, black and yellow black

red black ive wired to starter motor
red is going to light switch
black to the fuse board

what i canít figure out is the yellow / black - ive looked at numerous diagrams and canít see what this relates too - indeed the wiring diagram as a sticky on this section only shows 3 - itís the same gauge as the others - does anybody have any ideas - thanks

this user is online snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 04:14:43 PM
yellow and black is aux ignition circuits and powers the headlight flash etc the black is ignition feed which could go to the fuse box to be split into other ignition controlled items and the coil but VW use it for coil.

you have feed in red
aux circuits yellow black
ignition black
starter solenoid red black

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 06:29:54 PM

This is what i have done so far.....

on my wiring diagram fuse 1 & 2 look like they are bridged together - so the coil shows connected to fuse 1 - the black from ignition to fuse 2 ....with one and two linked on the side where they both connect

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 02:51:35 PM
well after nearly 12 months since it last ran it now turns over on the key - canít say how elated i am but itís a lot .......feel like iím now getting somewhere .......

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 07:48:25 AM
Well done    ;-)up ;-)up   One step at a time...

Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 04:09:43 PM
this is my light switch

i currently have a red from battery (via voltage regulator) to one of the position 30

i have a red from ignition switch to the other position 30

regardless of which terminal 30 i attach either wire - the engine turns over on the key....so iím assuming that this must be correct

iím left with the following terminals

58, 58L and 58R

58b, 56 and X

from what i can see on line 58, 58L and 58R relate to tail lights and side lights however my wiring diagram only shows one wire going from the switch to fuse number 7

so which one of the above 3 terminals do i use to run to fuse box ?

58b is the illumination of the speedo so iím ok with that.

56 is the wire that goes to the light relay so ok with that

my wiring diagram shows a third red going from another terminal no. 30 to the number 9 fuse - but my switch has only 2 no. 30 and they are both accounted for ....

by a process of elimination my only remaining terminal is marked X - therefore is this the wire that i would run to fuse 9

thanks

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 04:47:49 PM
John.... All numbers such as 56, 58, etc (also letters of the alphabet). are DIN standards...  All numbers/letters in the DIN standard can be found listed on the internet indicating exactly what the purpose is. (Switch connections, relay connections and so on). If you see something like 56 and 56a these are inter - related connections.

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 04:57:16 PM
John.... All numbers such as 56, 58, etc (also letters of the alphabet). are DIN standards...  All numbers/letters in the DIN standard can be found listed on the internet indicating exactly what the purpose is. (Switch connections, relay connections and so on). If you see something like 56 and 56a these are inter - related connections.

thanks - i did look these up but what i couldnít understand is why the switch has 3 terminals beginning with 58 - but the beetle wiring diagram only shows one wire running to the fuse board .....and itís a beetle switch

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 06:52:34 PM
Here you go VW change the circuits depending on the year. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1971Bus_Headlights.jpg

Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 07:25:26 PM
iíve solved the problem - ive bought another light switch which fits my diagram...ie with 3 no. 30 terminals...just makes it a lot easier

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 07:48:54 PM
An easy option  ;-)up you will find the wiper systems are the same switches and motor wiring change dependent on year and are not always compatible with other years components.

Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 01:16:06 PM
having received the switch that has 3 number 30 terminals and a new relay i now have on the first pull sidelights and tail lights on the second pull i have main headlights - when i pull the indicator stalk i have full beam - and a blue light lighting up on speedo - itís not very bright so have ordered a new one from cbs which will show up better. the new relay had different pins and i had to make a jumper to the 30 terminal which wasnít on the original - so all good.

iím going to get the indicators sorted now - ive noticed that my relay has a k1 terminal which doesnít show on any wiring diagram - but by a process of elimination i think this is the terminal to run to speedo for green flash indicator ?...is this correct ?...this is the only bit iím unsure about

this is what iím working too so will see how this turns out

finally that will leave me with a fog light to sort out - thereís no provision for this on my wiring diagram

what feed should i use for this - am i ok to splice into the black and white wire that runs from headlamp switch to relay ?....

i have new switch which i can use - iím assuming that i donít have to ensure fog light doesnít turn off and not come back on again once lights are turned off ?.....

thanks in advance

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 02:14:59 PM
You could use a relay for the fog light that switches on with a momentary switch fed from the lighting circuit and holds itself on. If it gets its switching power from the lighting circuit it will  only switch on when the lights are on and switch off with the lights and not come on again until you tell it. Feed the bulb via the relay on a separate fused feed.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 05:20:44 PM
The fog light can be on an independent switch wired to a feed from the dipped headlight circuit, the turn off and stay off with the switch on is an IVA test requirement.
the 4 th pin on the flashers is used for a trailer warning light most vehicles used 2 or 3 pin ones.

pin 30 DIN is a battery live connection

Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 07:05:58 PM
ok thanks - if the feed is taken from the dipped headlight circuit - which is the yellow wire where is the best place to tap off it ?....and just out of curiosity when full beam is selected is this feed not turned off ?....