Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 04, 2021, 03:26:39 PM

Venting to carbs

This is a discussion for the topic Venting to carbs on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Venting to carbs  (Read 1014 times)

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
on: January 12, 2021, 08:14:25 PM

Hi all,

Question which has probably been asked many times but hey, strange times.
Still got issues with oil mist from the crank pulley. Does anyone on here vent to their Kadrons ( Solex hs 40/44 eis) carbs . Flags? If you any issues? Single or both carbs🤷🏻‍♂️
Just want to set up once, correctly.
Ta,
Paul.
P.s Paul 1953, itís snowing here. Gonna put the skis on the buggy. Move over Eddie the Eagle 😂

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:27 AM
Hi  Paul.... Yep the dark heavy clouds appeared our way early hrs this morning and it`s well below zero as I type. have my snow shoes unpacked but they a bit raggidy now after all the years in the garage.  Wonder what Eddie is up to these days. Doesn`t it seem like just yesterday that he was thrilling the world. Amazed he never killed himself. But it proves the saying "chase your dream".  Keep warm and safe over at whitehaven. P

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:00:13 AM
Yes, definitely. Original Kadron air filters were fitted with this breather pipe to the left hand filter base to take a hose from the standard Beetle oil filler/breather.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:19:33 AM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:49:57 AM

Thanks for that Dave. Never seen that pic before  ;-)up

Paul 1953. Yes, got to have dreams.
Stay safe

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 06:41:26 PM
I have never had to matey, I use a CB Performance breather tower that vents through a flap valve.
What breather are you using? 

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 07:34:04 PM

Flags,

Thanks for getting in touch. My only vent is via the standard take off from the oil filter pedestal. Tried the hose ( with flap valve) down to ground. Currently got it going into an open can on the bulkhead.
Been looking at either the CB or Empi towers. Not sure Iíve enough clearance under the GPS bum.
Howís your tower plumbed. Are all outlets blanked other than the one to ground. Do you have s/steel scrubbers in 🤷🏻‍♂️ To be honest not keen to vent to my air filters. My only leak is from the crank pulley.
Appreciate any advice. If you think a tower will do thatís great. Any problem with the joint k on e we asking.
Thanks,
Paul

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 07:52:44 PM
Any problem with the joint k on e we asking. Lost me there mate?

I've vented from the Fuel pump block off and the genny stand but only because I could. You shouldn't need gauze in the breather tower as it has baffles that allow the oil to seperate from the mist.

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 08:01:58 PM

Sorry Flags. My stumpy fingers. Meant to ask if you get leaks around the cover. Seen some websites suggest they can leak.
I still run a mechanical pump, so canít vent to there. Canít make out what position you vent the tower to.
Thanks for the photos.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 08:05:37 PM
In the first photo you can just see the pipe going over the fan housing. Only place it leaked was the front cover bolts but I used roofing bolt washers with a small seal to cure that 1.

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 08:11:15 PM
Are you using a seep sump?

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 08:39:11 PM
I know people do it, i know VW do it but i can't see why for the life of me why i would want to spray oil and moisture in my carbs, not at any time have i thought that was a good idea.
I use twin solex 40's as you mention and i have a tower breather and outlets for the rocker covers ready to fit once i've bedded the new build motor in and need to re do the valves but i will be venting to thin air not to the carbs, i just don't see any advantage when you spend all your time trying to keep crap out of them, just my thoughts.  :-\

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 08:57:18 PM

Totally agree Cunningstunt. Donít see the sense.
Flags,
Really appreciate your advice. Sorry for my ignorance, whatís a seep sump
Paul

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 08:58:19 PM
Venting to carbs is to satisfy some law regarding pollution I guess, can't see it being a performance mod.
Only potential benefit I can see is some negative pressure on the crankcase so effectively forced breathing when added to the positive pressure from the thread on the pulley.

I did experiment for 10 minutes on twin ICTs but ran like a 3 legged greyhound till I disconnected it.

I vent the filler and both rocker covers to a stainless baffled box to encourage condensation that drains to a catchpot with filter to atmosphere.

Venting rockers has been controversial on here but having had the oil pressure light come on when booting it on a roundabout and then the oil taking ages to drain back to the sump from a full rocker cover the vents work both ways and that plus an extended sump cured the problem

All I do is empty water and a trace of mayo  from the catchpot regularly
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 09:12:13 PM

Thanks Doon 👍

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:18 PM

Flags,

One more question. I can see the hose over the fan housing 👍Looks like you too use AN fittings. What size AN/ hose for your vent.
Thanks again.
Paul