Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2021, 12:52:08 PM

Valve stems

This is a discussion for the topic Valve stems on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Valve stems  (Read 107 times)

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
on: January 12, 2021, 12:47:22 PM
Another query please.....

Still not happy with my engine after the stuck no 1 exhaust valve issue whereby the pushrod came adrift....

Whilst debating wether to pull this engine out yet again or not I took a look at a 1600 twin port Type 1 engine schematic in a borrowed manual.  I could see no indication of a valve stem oil seal, nor was one mentioned in the rhetoric. I know with certainty my 1200cc type 1 single ports DID have valve stem oil seals. 

So does a 1600 twin port of 1974/75 vintage really not have valve stem oil seals.   I cannot get my head around this if so...

No other engine I have dismantled didn`t have stem seals. Replacement being the very reason for changing them when the engine started to issue a blue haze, (yep blue not purple... that was a song)....

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:58 PM
Most Beetle engines were fitted with a square section plastic o ring that basically did nothing except bake hard, split and work their way down into the sump. Totally useless in fact worse than useless.

This is why people who do away with the sump strainer when they fit a full flow filter set-up my teeth on edge. They do totally different jobs! Sorry, went off piste then... ;-)up
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:17:49 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.