Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 12:21:41 AM

Meyers Manx body

This is a discussion for the topic Meyers Manx body on the board Parts Wanted.

Author Topic: Meyers Manx body  (Read 742 times)

this user is offline Bridog

on: December 29, 2020, 10:44:08 PM
Hi does anybody no where I can get Meyers body shell from as flatlands don't do them anymore I'm not in a rush I don't need it till April thanks

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 11:44:19 PM
Auto-Fibra in Portugal for a genuine tagged Meyers Manx or Manxter or Rob Kilham at East Coast Buggies for one from the previously authorized Manx 2 moulds.

http://autofibra.com/index-en.html

https://www.eastcoastbuggies.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:03:54 AM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper, sent from a Commodore VIC 20.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:31:46 AM
Hi does anybody no where I can get Meyers body shell from as flatlands don't do them anymore I'm not in a rush I don't need it till April thanks

As Dave says.... AF in Portugal is where Flatlands Mark got his from. (This is where my body tub and pods originated).

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:47:42 PM
Thanks for getting back do you no the quality difference between the two I think there is going to be a big price difference

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:34:44 PM
Mark's work is as good as the best. This is one of his that I built.

He supplied the bodies for most of Flatland's show winning buggies as well as the ones for the Grand Tour buggies.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:50:13 AM
Agree with Dave and his remarks upon Marks Flatlands show quality builds. These you have to see "in the flesh" to appreciate. It`s a shame he has bowed out of the buggy scene but in his words there was just no practical return financially for him. He has returned to his no one passion which is motor bikes.

As for the Manx body kit..... Yes it was, and probably still is, on the expensive side. The quality of the "fibreglass"  lay up is good. There is one very noticeable thing tho`.... The body is no where near symetrical re left to right hands side. Wether this was due to a poor original used as a mould copy or what I don`t know.

Whichever body kit you finally decide upon be prepared to "make it fit". You cannot simply take a body tub and fit it to your chassis and expect it to be a perfect fit without a bit of hard graft.

Whatever you choose. Have fun, be patient but..... please don`t take as long as I have spent.. ;D ;D

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 09:33:09 AM
Manxes were always lob sided, they were designed by an artist rather than an engineer, subsequently GPs and all other buggies that have their origins in the Manx are wonky too. Nothing really to worry about unless you've got serious OCD, they're all in the same boat. Sidewinders are renound for being twisted, it's the nature of fiberglass but you're dealing with a colourful fun little car, not a space ship or anything really important, just learn to love the quirks.

;)

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 11:00:11 AM
Thanks for comments Mark at flatlands did the work to my chassis shortening and doing the irs he did a great job
so I'm going to sell my gp1 to fund new build and go with Manx body thanks

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 11:48:54 AM
If your GP is correctly registered would you not be better off rebodying it and selling your GP body on?  Anything to avoid IVA.

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 02:04:31 PM
Unfortunately its registered as a sport not beach buggy even though its been beach buggy for over 20 years

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 02:27:51 PM
Unfortunately its registered as a sport not beach buggy even though its been beach buggy for over 20 years

Registered as a sport is fine it  ;D is one of the many descriptions used on buggies over the years Vw never made a beetle sports saloon or convertible but they did make beetle convertibles as some buggies are registered as.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:52 PM

Sport is perfectly fine, it shows that it was inspected after modification by whoever was in charge of it at the time, probably a local authority.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 12:46:22 PM

As others have said - thats a very good classification -  ;-)up 
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 05:08:11 PM

As others have said - thats a very good classification -  ;-)up

I'll echo the comments, sports is a good description on a V5,  there are quite a few Q reg buggies out there that are registered as sports
Have fun. Be lucky

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 07:02:28 PM
Thats good to no I thought it was standers on the v5. I also want some slot mags with the 4 bolt holes to fit standard hubs if any body has some for sale thanks Brian