Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 10:37:26 AM

Newbie help for IRS transmission swap

This is a discussion for the topic Newbie help for IRS transmission swap on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Newbie help for IRS transmission swap  (Read 945 times)

this user is offline Wosco

on: November 28, 2020, 02:02:55 PM
Hi there. I have a 1302 beetle chassis which couldnít be used for bug conversion (McPherson front end) so bought a swing arm chassis with gearbox as it seemed cheaper and easier than sourcing and fitting front beam. Now wondering if I need to use that gearbox or whether I can use my original engine lump with gearbox connected by attaching cv transaxle to swingarm hub somehow. Neighbour suggested upgrading swing arm chassis to my 1302 IRS mounted assembly and then benefit from this system but seems simpler (perhaps even better) to settle for swing arm and hope the gearbox is sweet in donor chassis. Any tips would be very appreciated at this stage!!

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:39:54 PM
You have a few choices as the horns are different.
 Put a beam frame head onto the1302s pan.
Buy and fit irs adaptors to the swing pan and modify horns to clear the cv joints.
I cut 1302s horns off and welded them onto the swing pan around the torsion bar tube.
Use the swing axle as is.

Are you building lwb or swb as any pan modifications legally mean an IVA test.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:45:19 PM
If you're building a SWB buggy and are aware of registration issues then you could use the rear half of the 1302 chassis up to just behind the handbrake and the front half of the ball joint pan as part of the shortening process.

As Snoopy says, any modifications even on a  LWB  frame and you're into IVA territory.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 10:46:18 AM
Sorry for tardy reply, just realised you need to be logged in to reply! I hadnít decided on wheelbase length yet but as a first project was looking for path of least resistance. Eg LWB and no IVA issues. But Iím wondering if my new chassis isnít cut and chucked already as itís a 72 model with rear swing arm which I didnít think went beyond 1968. I think my preference would be keep the gearbox which is already there although in theory my 1200 engine will have a 1500 gearbox as that is the engine size listed on the V5. My neighbour is keen to weld whatever comes our way but Iím not quite as confident! Advice on best course of action as I canít dedicate every night and weekend to this or I will be a single man driving this thing!

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:43 PM
Swing axle rear ends were standard fitment on all regular (ie non 1302/1303 or Auto) European Beetles right thru to end of production. IRS rears can handle slightly better but tend to be weaker, more complicated and heavier than swing axle. I've been building and driving swing axle equipped buggies for 40+ years now with no issues.

It's easy enough to get a long wheelbase chassis correctly registered as long as it's completely original in spec including floorplans. Short wheelbase builds need to pass an IVA test to be legal though.

There are lots of good Lwb bodies available: Californian, Doon, Jas, GT, Volksrod, FF, etc.

Californian:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:27:54 PM by Manxdavid »

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:58:54 PM
The biggest difference is with irs you can raise high or lower and the camber stays the same unlike swing axle that can have large positive to large negative camber depending on ride height.

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 04:02:56 PM
Thanks guys I think I have enough ammo to persuade my neighbour to put his welding kit away! Iíll stick to swing arm and Hope the gearbox is okay. Iíve already seen the LWB shell that FF build which seems pretty sweet. No disrespect to anyone who owns one but not really loving that Cali in the picture! Really great forum Iím Sure I will be posting again! Steering, rear seats, engine parts, etc etc

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 04:17:40 PM
Good choice with the FF, nice buggy. BTW I think the bar sticking up on the right side of the bell housing should link the two rear transmission mountings. ;-)up

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:22:50 PM by Manxdavid »

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 08:02:29 PM
you have a late swing pan so a good starting point although they do rust well around the front end. you can loose the springs off the rear shocks and keep the shocks as it will be a hard ride as a buggy and the gearbox mounting and boots get sorted as you go.
 FF is a good body and give potential for a hard top.

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 10:36:35 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your advice.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 11:21:27 AM
Hi Wosco the site is here to encourage and support owners with their buggies as a result of this there is a great crowd of nice friendly folk spread about in this country who meet up and also help others out.