Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 05:19:05 PM

Classic CB Radio

This is a discussion for the topic Classic CB Radio on the board Toyz For Sale.

Author Topic: Classic CB Radio  (Read 312 times)

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
on: November 12, 2020, 10:41:05 AM
Classic early 80s York CB with plenty of bells and whistles.

Powers up but I've no way of testing it as no antenna. Comes with power lead and new mic (not 100% sure if a wire may need swapping over, plenty of info on line).

£40ono posted. Proceeds to RNLI.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:24:25 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online Cornishdave

• Hustler
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 11:31:59 AM
Wow that's a blast from the past for me. Haven't seen one for years but used to have one as a teenager.
Do many people still use them?

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 07:52:23 AM
Keith   ... Much to my surprise they do. My father passed away a few weeks ago. (He had a long life so that`s fine). Came across 2 sets of cb systems in his wardrobe whilst clearing his rented flat. Put them on ebay hoping to get a few bob for charity. Both went 1st time listed. Each at the £76 mark so £40 is a steal.   ;-)up ;-)up

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:04:59 AM
I've been trying to think of what Dave Doon's handle was when he used this CB radio !
Hugh

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 12:12:04 PM
A blast from the past indeed - I had one of them too   ;-)up

And yes, there are an amazing number of Buggies with CB's fitted as it makes a great way to keep us all together on some of our cruises and convoys
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 04:15:40 PM
I've been trying to think of what Dave Doon's handle was when he used this CB radio !

When I used CB I was Arfur Mo. Had a good one with boots in a company car, then they legalised the rubbish FM ones so they could charge for a licence, excuse was a bit like pirate radio, pretend interference.

When they confiscated the first car as it supplied power to the CB so was deemed part of it having one became instant dismissal. So got forced onto the legal bands with their 20 yard range. Boots soon followed which got the range up a bit if on high ground.

Best I ever did on AM was a 30 minute chat with a guy in South Africa, there was a sweet spot on a hill in Suffolk (yes there are a few low ones) where power lines ran across and sometimes really boosted signals
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 04:56:34 PM
Really entertaining read Dave. I can imagine your voice as I read this.

Seems a fair few on here might have criminal behaviour tendencies lurking in their pasts !
Hugh

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 06:15:25 PM
The thing is before satnav and online traffic updates it was a great aid when on the road fixing computers.

Best thing about the legal system is that having a proper aerial didn't give the game away

Have to admit that winding the mic cable round the steering on roundabouts and swapping channels could be a distraction
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 08:16:55 PM
Okay I've decided not to sell this until I've fixed the mic and make sure it's fully working. ;-)up

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online Hunter

• SDBC Moderator
  • Buggy Meister
  • Dorchester
  • CTR
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 11:18:54 AM
Okay I've decided not to sell this until I've fixed the mic and make sure it's fully working. ;-)up

Roger that..

10 4 Rubber dickie   ;)

H

Started with a LWB mk1 RAT
Now running SWB CTR
(lwb Californian skooby powered in the wings)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

this user is offline Dipsy Deb

• Beach Buggy
  • Gwent
  • LWB Rat
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 11:22:55 AM
It's been years since messing about with these and now suddenly your all talking about them and my friend has just found two in his attic. A midland 4001 and a Murphy if that means anything to anyone. Good fun a long time ago. Deb
🔷Dipsy Deb

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 04:16:28 PM
It's been years since messing about with these and now suddenly your all talking about them and my friend has just found two in his attic. A midland 4001 and a Murphy if that means anything to anyone. Good fun a long time ago. Deb

That brings back memories used to have a Midland 4001 with 5ft fire stick and a orange neon transmitting light on the top in the old GP snoopy 3 buggy I still have the SWR meter in the shed for setting the aerials up. As you say good fun years ago out with the cb club on fox hunts.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 01:18:55 PM

Murphy was a better rig (Cybernet chassis) but Midlands looked cooler.

this user is online Hunter

• SDBC Moderator
  • Buggy Meister
  • Dorchester
  • CTR
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 01:35:30 PM
Major Tom here.

Here are some of the toys from the good old days, the "HAM international Multimode" has 5400 channels, whey back in the naughty days I was living on the 16th floor of a tower block in Battersea so my contact was fantastic, not only nationally but happily very internationally 24 hrs a day, spent a lot of time on line into early mornings chatting to drivers in trucks all over the east coasts of America and most of the islands (Hawaii and the such like).

Both of our present on the road buggys have CB radios as well.

Cheers H  (Major Tom) :D

PS sorry not for sale. :-[
Started with a LWB mk1 RAT
Now running SWB CTR
(lwb Californian skooby powered in the wings)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

this user is offline hustler

• Buggy Addict
  • hayling island, hants
  • Beamish buggy
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 09:24:21 PM
Back in the day I had a Ham international multimode 120 channels upper and lower side bands. Used it one night talking to a guy in the states and blacked out everyone’s TV sets close by. Not popular that nite