Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 12:21:56 AM

Engine oil temperature

This is a discussion for the topic Engine oil temperature on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Engine oil temperature  (Read 315 times)

this user is offline Dv1980

• Malta
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy
on: November 10, 2020, 02:05:07 PM
Hi Guys

What is the correct temperature (celsius) for a running engine 1800cc ?? and how can i tell if the sending unit (brand new) is working properly ??
My engine temperature is going up to 140+ Celsius but dip stick does not feel that hot and can be touched with bare hands. Not sure what's wrong. Both oil temp gauge and sending unit are Smiths and are brand new

Thanks

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:40:26 PM
Well it obviously isn't getting to 140 because at that temperature it would rip the skin off your fingers when touching the dip stick.   80 C to 110 C  although in a buggy at this time of year (ie cold weather) you would probably need to do a long motorway journey at speed to even get it up to 80C. The time it takes to get up to temp varies greatly dependent on outside air temp and the stress you're putting on the engine ie prolonged speed/rpm.  I tested my gauge and sender. For the gauge I looked up the spec for my particular model to see the required ohms resistance required for each temp graduation on the dial, then instead of a sender I attached a potentiometer and measured the resistance required through the pot to ground for each temp with a multimeter.  For the sender I only tested at approx 100c, just attached a multimeter to the spade and casing then measured resistance whilst suspended in boiling water.  Make sure it's wired up properly, also make sure you have the correct sender for your gauge, just because it's a smiths sender doesn't mean it's the right one 
Have fun. Be lucky

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:46 PM
Check sender threads are making a good ground, ideally no sealant or PTFE tape insulating it.
Check connectors are clean and tight
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:39:26 PM
As Paul says test it in boiling water to see if it reads 100C  if it does start looking for bad connections or a missing earth on the gauge.

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:57:16 PM
One more thing,  You have connected the live wire from the 10 volt stabilized supply because if not the extra 4 volts coming from the unstabilized supply will make it read very high
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:26:03 PM by Merscury »
Have fun. Be lucky

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 10:27:41 PM
Is is the correct sender unit for your gauge?

Same make / model / impedance ?
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 06:12:55 AM

Is it reading Celsius or Fahrenheit  :-\

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 06:37:42 AM

F  ok fret that last comment. Brain fart. Just finished nights, Iím off to ved :o