Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 05:43:46 PM

Winter rest up / long term storage

This is a discussion for the topic Winter rest up / long term storage on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Winter rest up / long term storage  (Read 307 times)

this user is online apmaman

• Buggy Veteran
  • Dundee, Scotland
  • 1962 Volksrod
on: November 08, 2020, 10:34:15 AM
Whats the thoughts on making sure your engine and carbs dont get messed up with long term storage?

I intend to clamp the fuel line and unplug the fuel pump so it runs dry and gets all the fuel used.

But what else? I dont want crap gumming up the carbs etc.
Other than letting it idle for a good 20mins every week or so?
Arran
#dundeebeachbuggy

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 11:46:21 AM
A lot of the Classic Car clubs recommend raising the car on axle stands so the tyres are not on the ground   :-\
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:59:48 PM
long term I would also drain the fuel tank with this modern fuel.

this user is online Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 04:09:58 PM
Arran I'd aim to run it every couple of weeks as that way you will keep everything moving nicely, don't have to take any precautionary measures to avoid fuel or tyre issues, may even catch a few half decent days you can go for a longer run, should spot and sort any 'natural' deterioration (wires coming loose, odd rattles etc) and will be ready to hit the ground running when next buggy season arrives.

If you moth ball your buggy I guarantee you'll take longer next year to get around to thinking about using it and then will find several niggles have developed that prevent a quick getaway.
Hugh

this user is offline Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 05:36:58 PM
Just use it occasionally.
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:30:06 PM

Must admit I try to keep everything ready to run. Battery on a conditioner, start her up couple of time a month. Keep
The petrol moving and you should be okay :-\ :D
Paul

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 06:49:19 PM
I was always told not to keep starting it every couple of weeks as it causes excess condensation. If its drained and run dry in the carbs that'll be fine, no need to keep starting it. Cars sit at the docks for months not being moved. Raising the car off the floor is meant to stop it getting flat spots on the tyres but again even told it causes issues with the shocks being pulled to the end so believe what you like. Winterisation is a bit hit and miss, plenty of non proven, wives tale rubbish that makes no difference at all just "the man down the pub told me" nonsense. I've even know someone putting their car of polysterene as he was told cold concrete will damage the tyres in winter  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

this user is offline Speedy

• Beach Buggy
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
  • Manx
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 08:46:41 PM
Long term storage concerns engine wise would be which ever valve springs are fully compressed they can be liable to breaking when compressed for long periods :-\
Work hard : play harder

this user is online pepsi81

• Buggy Veteran
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 09:02:27 PM

When I say keep her ready Iím mean get out for a decent run. Managed the last few years even up here in Cumbria.
Alternatively, as per Snoopys guidance

this user is online IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:39:44 AM
I did my my friends oval bug .. On its last run out he used no e fuel just 99Octane and Then I drained the tank and ran it out of fuel...Fuel lines in bin!. Put it up on stands .Rockers off You do not need to but why not as it keeps the valves closed..Drained oil out and refilled to the cam was in oil. Battery off. Floor mats up/out coil lead off .Did a list put on steering wheel....8 years past ......mats back down. New fuel lines on. New battery on fuel in tank .Rockers back on A good look over and spun it up to oil light off .coil lead back on and ran it up for 1/2hr! Had good look under it and then drain the oil back down. Off stands A good wash and give it a good trip out 12 photos later and it was put on ebay...
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 01:02:24 PM
Speaking from decades of experience over-wintering vehicles my opinion is that the old school opinions are spot on. They arose from peoples actual experience and what better way to learn than suffer the consequence of lay ups without thought.  I have had tyres develop flat sections due to non rotation over the months. I have had an extreme example of condensation whereby a brand new exhaust system rotted through from the inside rendering it useless.

Stick to basic principles.... Yes raise buggy up off floor. Keep an eye on brake disc surfaces if you have them to ensure they don`t fall foull of deep rusting. Operate foot brake frequently. Do not leave handbrake on. Operate handbrake frequently. Operate all switches frequently. Fuel... guess this is a modern issue and the flexi fuel lines will suffer.

Don`t use a cover over your buggy. Condensation is unavoidable but a cover multiplies this many times over. Electrolytic action between dissimilar metals is a fact of life but the less moisture present the less the chemical reaction will be. Cover prevents air from circulating freely.

Engine...... Here I think is a major issue with an aircooled lump hanging off the back. In theory an engine should be turned over frequently but there are pitfalls as I have just discovered and am still not yet out of the woods with. Engine must be run until fully up to temperature each and every time. If you don`t you will get condensation within the rocker covers especially but also elsewhere.

So in my humble opinion, for what it`s worth, best practice ..... Take your buggy out for a spin, once a week, every week wether you do it or someone else does in your absence. Keep the garage etc well ventilated.  ;-)up ;-)up

this user is offline grissley

• Buggy Meister
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 05:07:49 PM
 just give it me to use over winter 😁

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Meister
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 07:24:51 AM
just give it me to use over winter 😁

Ha Ha  ;-)up ;-)up