Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 12:40:14 AM

GP2 Fuel Tank

This is a discussion for the topic GP2 Fuel Tank on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: GP2 Fuel Tank  (Read 296 times)

this user is offline yeolde buggman

• Hayling Island Hampshire
  • GP
on: November 03, 2020, 12:09:03 PM
Hi Guys.
My GP2 fuel tank  needs replacing as base appears to have rotted.  I purchased the original when I rebuilt the buggy back in 2013 from Flatland Engineering  but understand they no longer supply parts.
I think the tank is based on a VW Beetle 1961-67 unit with a modified filler position.

Would appreciate confirmation and possible suppliers  of base tank- ?? also found a LH drive but assume would need mod for RH drive.

Thanks  in anticipation.

Much appreciated for any help.

Howard

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 01:05:03 PM
a later tank will fit but it will need the filler moved and possibly the top front bump adjusting slightly to clear the bonnet. Are you using the mechanical fuel gauge? I have never tried to fit an early sender onto a later tank so no idea if screw holes align.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Pre and post 67 replacement tanks are basically the same pressings these days and can take a little adjustment to clear the bonnet at the front and sometimes the steering damper and coupling underneath, but a few wacks with a rubber mallet usually sorts them out. Most of the usual suppliers, VW Heritage, Megabug etc will sell you a new tank and any old-school body shop or radiator place will be able to patch over the original filler and any unwanted vents etc and will be able to fit your existing filler neck. Brazing is usually better than welding on tanks as it's more gentle on the thin metal and seals better.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:51:05 PM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline yeolde buggman

• Hayling Island Hampshire
  • GP
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:05:37 PM
Thanks very much guys.

Info very useful and thanks for the link. 
Am still looking at whether current tank is salvageable with local fabricator, where the base of tank may be possible to replace but not looking very hopeful.

Looks like I will probably need to get out my rubber hammer out !!!   haven't used in a while!

Note that I had an electric fuel gauge fitted previously which hope to ruse.

Hopefully also others will find it useful.

Thanks again - you were so quick in response!

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 07:46:10 PM
there is a guy in Birmingham who makes tanks to pattern. You make one out of cardboard that fits and he will copy it in ally so you can design one to clear bonnet and steering with filler neck and sender where you want it.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
Snoopy the Birmingham man has packed in making cheap bespoke tanks during the disruption of the first lock down.
Hugh