Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 04, 2021, 03:03:20 PM

1962 GP mk1 SWB

This is a discussion for the topic 1962 GP mk1 SWB on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: 1962 GP mk1 SWB  (Read 1754 times)

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 02:42:08 PM
Yes the colour is real class.
Hugh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 05:52:38 PM
That was one freaky bee and better removed

this user is offline Paul1953

• Buggy Veteran
  • Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
  • MANX SWB
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 07:58:46 AM
Hi @Paul1953, thanks for pointing that out. My filters donít seem to have a place to connect a hose to. Can I use a crank case filter on the outlet - Iíve seen that done on other beetle motors?

Hi Delux. Sorry for the delayed response......

There are many buggies & beetles out there running with crankcase breater filters fitted and no connection to air filter...... 
Here is the theory as VW saw it...... Briefly.....   Crankcase develops positive pressure as a result of what is going on with the mechanicals. (Those with well worn cylinder bores have high plus pressure and you will see the blue smoke from the exhaust).

Now then the bit that has baffled others that have spoken to me is how can air get into the crankcase and oil not get out ?
Air is drawn in by design via the action of the scroll. Thrower ring stops oil going back out. (No seal required). The crancase breather is present to draw away and maintain pressure and return oil mist\fume back to cylinders to be burn via the air filter. Under normal conditions you are just talking very small amounts of oil within the air.

Some years of beetle engines had twin connection at the oil filler point. One went to air filter and the other to the atmosphere at low level in engine bay.

Is the air filter connection needed.... VW thought so. I have seen type 1 engines struggle to idle well until the pipe is re-instated. I have seen type 1 engines run ok without.

There you have it.. My opinion.... If VW deemed it an integral part of the engine I won`t argue. The type 1 engine, in my opinion, is one of the finest engine designs ever.

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 08:25:21 AM
Only thing I would add is the oily air can play havoc with twin carbs, works better with singles

My ICTs just wouldn't run well when I tried it

For chapter and verse have a look at Peter's site, manxmaniac
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline Delux

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 10:02:56 AM
Cheers Dave and Paul. Thankfully, the buggy idles very well. Thanks for the link Iíll investigate.

Dave are you saying that with twin carb setups itís better with a small filter?

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 08:41:21 AM
Clearly my buggy had wiring issues after 58 years and not knowing air cooled vwís at all I needed some help.

Gauges not working. Warning lights not working. Dodgy connectors. Scrambled wires. Left front indicator not working and when I switched on the headlights all the lights on the left dimmed...You get the gist.

Someone recommended this book... and then I began to realise I had a lot of rewiring and fault checking ahead of me.

Got to say this book is filled with ace illustrations too!

I read in the book that there should be two warning lights appear on ignition - a red one and a green one. My Ď71 beetle owning friend agreed. I had the bulb holders but no illumination, I changed the bulbs but no lights.

Thatís when I decided to start ripping wires out and using an early wiring diagram and posts from this forum to find a way forward. Who the heck knew the wiring on early beetles (mines a 1962 base) changed so much!

The wiring was a complete mish-mash of different colours and thicknesses. Clearly someone had a lot of yellow and blue wire laying about at some point in this buggies history, so figuring out what wires went where for what, was a big challenge. Iím no auto electrician but I could tell that was a problem!

Next step was ordering a lot of wire and connectors online then systematically replacing each wire and old connector with new. It took me a good few weekends and I kinda enjoyed the experience of learning new skills and getting this right.

Now it all works perfectly!

Happy days!

this user is offline JonFuller

• Beach Buggy
  • Surrey
  • Prowler
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 08:57:53 AM
Is that a (large) hole in the top of the chassis tunnel?

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 01:27:23 PM

Ouch! Good spot, that needs patching asap. The whole torsional stiffness of the chassis is in the centre spine.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 03:38:10 PM

Ouch! Good spot, that needs patching asap. The whole torsional stiffness of the chassis is in the centre spine.

Need to get that hole welded up asap as others have said   :o
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 07:33:53 PM
Well done on the wiring it is satisfying when everything works on first switch on. Agree on the tunnel also check the corners for cracks going down as small hole drilled at the end will stop them getting worse.

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2020, 08:29:23 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The hole cut in the tunnel looks like itís been there for a great many moons, no evidence of cracks or bends etc in that area. Getting in there to weld it up will be tricky. Iíll have it taken care of once Iíve worked through the other issues like fuel lines.

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 09:36:01 AM
Another fix on the buggy - the pedals.

The accelerator pedal was completely loose and needed a new floor bracket and springs. After buying an incorrect part to start, I learned that this year beetle chassis needed a different floor bracket... any way, the pedals are all sorted now complete with new VW logo rubber covers, ready for sandy bare feet straight off the beach.

Im happy with the end result.

And another video for you to watch https://youtu.be/Zm9yKjJEows

Happy Days!

👍🏻

this user is offline HUDGE BUGGY

• Buggy Meister
  • Lowestoft, Suffolk
  • GP Mk2 Super Buggy LWB
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 06:00:25 PM
Enjoyed the video's - welcome to the madhouse - you'll have to wait for Manx David to post and confirm that I don't think its a GP = although the gel coat looks exceptional after getting all that sh..e off of it ;-)up

Roll on next summer 8)
WE GET OLD COS WE STOP PLAYING

Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 11:07:24 AM
Merry Christmas  ;D

Thank you Hudge Buggy. I am looking forward to enjoying the buggy in the coming years warmer weather. Hoping to get a trailer to tow it behind the camper.

Forgot to post an update...

Iíve not been a fan of the stripes and buxom bumble bee as you may know.

Next to face eviction were the flaking stripes. Theyíd  been painted over the original black paint at some point - Iím guessing in the nineties or early noughties. I had a good chat to a previous owner whoíd owned the buggy during the eighties - heíd painted the buggy yellow but not added the graphics.

I figured they come off with a good blast from the jet wash.

With the flakey stripes gone all that remained of the previous bumble bee was the smaller version on the left rear fender.

So out came the hair dryer and slowly removed all the sticker.

I decided to try foamy glass cleaner to see how well that removed the residue, and Iím surprised to say it worked very well.

The fender will need buffing out, but then again so does the whole body!

I tried some time-lapse on this video  - quite satisfying to watch.https://youtu.be/4TSS20SLWck

Fuel lines next.