Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 11:37:53 PM

Bat flattery

This is a discussion for the topic Bat flattery on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Bat flattery  (Read 1072 times)

this user is offline HughBug

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:38 AM
After not using the buggy for a long time, the battery was flat yesterday when I tried it. I started her successfully with a starter pack and went out for a spin and to get some fuel.

I had driven for about 6 miles before stopping for petrol, surely enough to charge the battery, and my voltage was up to 14v on the meter while travelling along, but after refuelling the battery was still dead and I needed to use the starter pack again to get going.

Any recommendations for a new battery; not necessarily the cheapest option ?

Cheers :)

Hugh the 2nd
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge :D

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 10:53:08 AM
Any regular 063 from the local motor factor. Beetle engines don't take a lot of cranking. I'd check all the connections and earths first though or take the battery off and give it a good overnight charge.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper, sent from a Commodore VIC 20.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:48 AM
Get a battery centre to do a "drop test" on the battery, as the internal cells can die quite rapidly if left in a discharged and unused condition

If laying up the Buggy for any length of time ALWAYS disconnect the battery   ;)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

this user is offline Hunter

• SDBC Moderator
  • Buggy Meister
  • Dorchester
  • CTR
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 12:53:00 PM
Get a battery centre to do a "drop test" on the battery,

If laying up the Buggy for any length of time ALWAYS disconnect the battery   ;)

If you do go for a drop test it'll need to be fully charged.

H
Started with a LWB mk1 RAT
Now running SWB CTR
(lwb Californian skooby powered in the wings)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
If you do go for a drop test it'll need to be fully charged.

Not necessarily, my digital drop tester can test a partially charged one  ;)
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 02:37:37 PM
Thanks everyone, just bought a 45AH 063 with 4 year warranty (allegedly ;)) for £33 - should keep the little bugger going for a while :)

I will try and take her out for a spin once a week.

Hugh the 2nd
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 02:39:37 PM by HughBug »
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........warning - this user has very little knowledge :D

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 05:14:35 PM
Fitting a cutout switch helps as it has the same effect as disconnecting the battery but much easier. Also adds a little bit of safety and security
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:13:02 PM
That's what I was thinking, an isolator switch like the red ones we had on our work boats.

How are they wired in please?

Hugh the 2nd

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 10:06:41 PM
Mines just wired so everything except the starter motor cable on one side and a whopping wire the other side to the battery

BUT that means no parking lights or hazard warning lights without the switch on if that bothers you
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 10:40:28 PM
Thanks, I don't have hazards anyway, and not likely to need parking lights but can always leave the switch on if necessary.

Hugh the 2nd

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 12:25:14 PM
I finally got round to fitting the new battery this morning, and despite not having run for a week the buggy fired up instantly. She even ticks over nicely more or less straight away which wasn't the case before (wouldn't settle down until properly warmed up). I have a feeling the old battery has been on the way out for a while as I reckon the alternator was working overtime and slowing tickover down ;)

One thing I'd forgotten - the negative cable has a quick release lock, so if I want to disconnect I can just reach in under the seat and flip it off.

MOT next ::)

Hugh the 2nd

this user is offline Buggybaggy

• Edit Enabled
  • Buggy Veteran
  • Leeds
  • Mk2 Volksrod
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 07:15:18 PM
Mines just wired so everything except the starter motor cable on one side and a whopping wire the other side to the battery

BUT that means no parking lights or hazard warning lights without the switch on if that bothers you

Same here.
But worth noting, that does not act as an engine kill switch when wired that way.
You can get a better switch which incorporates an engine kill facility.

this user is offline Flags

• Buggy Meister
  • Dorset
  • Orange
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 10:18:23 PM
I finally got round to fitting the new battery this morning, and despite not having run for a week the buggy fired up instantly. She even ticks over nicely more or less straight away which wasn't the case before (wouldn't settle down until properly warmed up). I have a feeling the old battery has been on the way out for a while as I reckon the alternator was working overtime and slowing tickover down ;)

One thing I'd forgotten - the negative cable has a quick release lock, so if I want to disconnect I can just reach in under the seat and flip it off.

MOT next ::)

If you're going to fit an isolator do it the same way so it kills the earth not positive Hugh

Hugh the 2nd

• Buggy Addict
  • Kent, UK
  • Kyote
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 10:24:38 PM
If you're going to fit an isolator do it the same way so it kills the earth not positive Hugh

;-)up ;-)up