Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2021, 01:42:30 PM

Post Hi follow up of my rust mobile

This is a discussion for the topic Post Hi follow up of my rust mobile on the board Members Buggies.

Author Topic: Post Hi follow up of my rust mobile  (Read 403 times)

this user is offline Sam101

• Kingsbury Episcopi
  • UVA Sandrail
on: October 01, 2020, 11:16:03 PM
Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place and it needs moving , just couldnít find what I thought would be the best page .

As promised , a post to explain my life woes lol .

So ... I toyed with the idea of this purchase for some time and finally did it . I didnít kid myself as to what I was buying , which is believed to be an early 80ís UVA sandrail .... and a bastardised one at that with obligatory 50mm scaffold tube welding in by a blind man using a stick welder . More rust and damage to the sub frame that the titanic currently has .

A true barn find . It was brought home to my modest concrete crap store . Which work started immediately with the use of a 9Ē grinder . All of the barbaric additions removed and I can see what I had .

But to be fair I still had the rust and rot of the frame to cut out as the Ali floor pan had been riveted to the frame and caused bad galvanic reaction .

I then spent the next hour removing the front beam , engine and gear box etc .

So finally at this stage , not a pretty one , but it needed it . Spent a few hours grinding back welds from old sections , welds of dog 💩 and hideous random brackets made from whatever fell off of lorries as they passed .

Ok , so I donít have a lot left , but what I do have is solid and ready to go forwards . A good sweep up and it looks good to go .

In the next week itís off to the shot blasters for a quick blowing over pre work to see whatís what . I am going to have to open a small section on each main 40mm tube as I have a lot of rivets to punch through and donít want them rattling around inside the tubes . Followed by welding them up and then some reinforcement of the lower two rails .

Already have three lengths of CDS en route , two 42.5 and one 26mm to start working back in . Just ordered a hole saw notcher, just need to rig up a bench to work at .

If there is anyone in my area who can help out £££ with the Bending of 4 parts by all means let me know as I donít have one and canít justify the costs for this job .

I have one engine broken down and ready for  wet blasting and a gear box too as I thought that would be a good idea , And it was not as I am struggling to find anyone south of Norway that likes to rebuild them .

So whatís my aim ..... a good fun off roader , as legend has it this was road legal back in the day , but no longer carries a number , have searched high and low , cleaned off old paint and the engine number has been ground of and re-stamped . Along with the missing number plates , brackets still there . To get this through and Iva would be more hassle that worth it . That project will follow later 😉 just donít tell her indoors 😂

Oh and mods , this site has the easiest pic add links .... sooooo much nicer and user friendly 👍🏻 Top show

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 07:59:44 AM
You are a brave man taking that on, aluminium touching steel is never good long term in a frame as it causes galvanic reaction.
wet blasting engine cases is not a good idea as media can get into the oil ways and ruin a new build and acid clean or a good degreaser followed by a purge of all oil galleries.

Keep the photos and info coming and start a thread in members buggies so it will be one long post.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 08:24:15 AM
Great early work Sam. At least you have got to Ground Zero and know the worst and what's left to build on, or not.

Snoopys right this will should make a LONG build post !
Hugh