Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 03:47:09 AM

Advice on starting front beam rebuild

This is a discussion for the topic Advice on starting front beam rebuild on the board Beach Buggy Rolling Chassis Help.

Author Topic: Advice on starting front beam rebuild  (Read 295 times)

this user is offline Ireland 123

on: September 28, 2020, 01:47:46 AM
Just started stripping my front beam today. Any advice on parts suppliers? Possible upgrades I should consider? Potential pitfalls?

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:34:33 AM
avoid red urethane parts, check the shock tower lower  drain holes are clear and after clearing any dirt/debris out and put some preservative in whilst the beam is upside down.

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 09:48:02 AM
Check out cunningstunt's threads, there's a lot of info there.

Ball joint or king and linkpin?
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDŽ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:15:51 PM
If it's ball joint it's pretty straight forward really. The only issues arise if you have to renew the inner bush. You can either renew the brass bush but will need to get a tool to fit that or get rid of it all and fit a nylon bush that replaces them complete in one bit. Best place i found for quality of parts and service was Custom and Commercial. You'll need a drift for both 45mm and 50mm bearings. I used a piece of 44.5mm alloy tube off of eBay for the upper and a 50mm scaffold tube for the lower one or if you have sockets to fit them. Put all the bearing in the freezer over night before fitting and grease them once in place and make sure you turn them as you grease them to get them full in the needles, you'll see what i mean when you do it. If you need any help PM me and i'll try and answer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:18:28 PM by cunningstunt »

this user is offline cunningstunt

• Buggy Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  • GT LWB
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 06:24:20 PM
You started yet?