Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 05:52:23 AM

Wiring Wizards?

This is a discussion for the topic Wiring Wizards? on the board Beach Buggy Electrical Help.

Author Topic: Wiring Wizards?  (Read 1095 times)

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
on: September 25, 2020, 09:14:43 AM
I want to wire up my front indicators (12v/21w single filament) to be on all the time with the ignition as daytime running lights (easy enough) but I also want to wire them to flash as indicators. Old Yanks used to be wired in a similar fashion,rear  brake lights doubled as indicators, and from what I've read so far I could do what I want using an American trailer relay, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper/easier way. I don't want to add extra lights.

Thanks chaps. ;-)up
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:18 AM
You can do it with two heavy duty diodes attached to each light. 

I would use 1000V diodes either 6A or 10A

Put one diode in line with the +ve indicator feed to light - anode towards the light (line on diode towards filament)

Put one diode in line with the +ve sidelight feed to the light - anode towards the light (line on diode towards filament)

That should sort you out 

Diodes can be got from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-P600M-Rectifier-Diode-6A-1000V/253036724233?epid=13004947477&hash=item3aea2a0009:g:A-EAAOSwcXpb2xrB

01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:33:51 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a go when I do my winter upgrade.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:37 PM
David -

Scrub that idea - Rookie error on my part !   ::)

Won`t work like that as if DRL is illuminated then the indicator function would stay illuminated and not flash.

You would need to revert to your plan B of a USA style flasher unit

Sorry   :-[
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:03:01 PM
Okay, I'll get my bro in law to nip to Pep Boys in his lunch break. ;-)up

this user is offline 93fxdl

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 08:43:13 PM
What about switchback led bulbs, connect one side to a live and the other to the indicator circuit, will give you a constant white light which goes out when the indicator is used
Ttfn Glenn

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 07:34:11 AM
What about switchback led bulbs, connect one side to a live and the other to the indicator circuit, will give you a constant white light which goes out when the indicator is used
Ttfn Glenn

That sounds perfect. Where would I find something like thst.? eBay maybe? I must admit to being a real dinosaur and I've never heard of such black magic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:09:04 AM by Manxdavid »

this user is offline Hunter

• SDBC Moderator
  • Buggy Meister
  • Dorchester
  • CTR
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:37 AM
Hi David,

Got these fitted to mine now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Car-Flexible-Switchback-Flowing-LED-Strip-Light-DRL-Turn-Signal-Amber-White/163901563471?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Did take a video but not been able to send it, fitted them last year, the lights are quite bright and catch your eyes.  :D

Cheers H
Started with a LWB mk1 RAT
Now running SWB CTR
(lwb Californian skooby powered in the wings)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:46:50 AM
Thanks H but I don't want to fit any additional lights, just stick with what I've got but rewired.

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 12:00:00 PM
Would a beetle indicator switch with the parking light function work the indicators as normal but use the parking wires left and right to turn off a relay powering the running lights you would need diodes where the feeds to the bulb meet to stop feed back, just a thought.

this user is offline 93fxdl

• Buggy Addict
  • south of glasgow
  • sand rail
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 01:23:01 PM
Ttfn Glenn

That sounds perfect. Where would I find something like thst.? eBay maybe? I must admit to being a real dinosaur and I've never heard of such black magic.

I got mine from Amazon, originally i planned on going USA style but research showed people running amber drl, tended to get mistaken for indicating, so I went for clear lenses with Amber flash

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 02:50:40 PM
Would a beetle indicator switch with the parking light function work the indicators as normal but use the parking wires left and right to turn off a relay powering the running lights you would need diodes where the feeds to the bulb meet to stop feed back, just a thought.

Thanks Keith but too complicated for me.

this user is offline brummie_steve

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 04:09:24 PM
It can be done with two changes over relays and two indicator relays. Don’t know about the American trailer relay. If you need a wiring  diagram let me know

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:15 PM
I think I'm set on using led's and resistors now thanks Steve as it seems the simplest solution. They're on s slow boat from China as we speak... ;D