Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 03:52:13 PM

Poor starting

This is a discussion for the topic Poor starting on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Poor starting  (Read 152 times)

this user is offline Hunnybug

• Hunstanton, Norfolk
  • Manx
on: September 10, 2020, 06:08:22 PM

Hi all,
My bug has decided to become difficult to start from cold.
Once itís running it sound and runs so sweet, great pick up, great tick over, no faults whatsoever.

Basically, if it hasnít been started for a week or so, it turns over and over, then a couple of fires, then eventually runs on just one bank (left side of the engine) then after 20-30 seconds the right hand bank fires up and has a little rev and then settles down and runs perfectly.
Iím guessing it petrol related, the carbs are Weber 34icts.
Recently Iíve fitted a new replacement fuel pump like for like.
Today, Iíve had a longer run hoping the fault might clear itís self (muck in the carbs)??   :-\
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Leigh
Leigh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 07:43:23 PM
the petrol evaporates in the carbs and the mechanical pump needs a bit of engine spinning to refill them and electrical pump means better starting after standing. the side to side delay will be how it is plumbed and fuel to the carb difference.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 10:21:27 AM
As Snoopy says, that's quite normal, they all do it. An electric fuel pump would sort it if you turn the ignition on and give it 10 secs or so before you crank it, or just live with it like I do.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Hunstanton, Norfolk
  • Manx
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 11:28:26 AM
Ahh, thanks for your replies.

Maybe I wasn't very clear.
It had an electric facet fuel pump fitted which recently started to leak, so I replaced it like for like, and now has this starting problem. I do switch on the ignition for a good while before cranking it over, and still takes for ever to fire up.

Let me run this by you; when I fitted the replacement pump I also purchased a one meter length of new fuel hose.
I fitted it as a temporary job and fitted the whole 1 meter length in a kind of loop the loop fashion knowing I would do the job properly when I repainted the area the leaking petrol had pickled. Could that looped hose be causing this starting issue??
I'll get that new hose cut down to length and plumbed in properly this weekend, I'll report back if the problem gets solved.
Leigh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 11:33:43 AM
could be debris from the hose change restricting fuel flow.

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:41 AM
Neatest solution is to run your buggy at least once a week then the fuel doesn't have a chance to vaporise !
Hugh

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 03:50:30 PM
Is the pump possibly wired thru the oil switch? It'd only pump when the engine is cranking if that's the case

Photos printed on genuine ILFORDģ paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Hunstanton, Norfolk
  • Manx
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 04:53:08 PM
Is the pump possibly wired thru the oil switch? It'd only pump when the engine is cranking if that's the case

No, it's wired independently, the benifit of a facet electric pump is the audible noise it makes when switching on the ignition 👍
Leigh

• Hunstanton, Norfolk
  • Manx
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 05:48:23 PM
Well, I owe an apology to you guys that kindly responded to my cry of help.

Basically it was a self inflicted problem caused by my temporary fitting of new fuel hose that looped high under the front wing, (higher than the top of the fuel tank itself) so I'm guessing there was a drain back effectively causing an air lock.
Anyway, neatly plumbed in today complete with a new filter in front of the new electric pump. Quick razz down the road, lovely.  Fingers crossed tomorrow it'll start on the button.

Thanks for your ideas  ;-)up
Leigh