Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 02:09:43 PM

SWB buggy - what are the rules? And what’s the norm?

This is a discussion for the topic SWB buggy - what are the rules? And what’s the norm? on the board Beach Buggy IVA / SVA Help.

Author Topic: SWB buggy - what are the rules? And what’s the norm?  (Read 217 times)

this user is offline Lesgrandepotato

I’d love to build a buggy with my lad over the next few years. As far as I can see I can buy a new shell and I can buy a shorty chassis with a tax exempt doc.

I can also buy a rolling chassis standard length. I’m perfectly able to shorten it as per the VW docs.

If i shorten the chassis as per VW details do I need IVA? If I don’t why do I need a v5 with my chassis? Surely I’d just be starting again?

I want to build a Manx Meyer and build up a motor (possibly low pressure turbo)

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 02:12:40 PM
Easier to buy a correctly registered Project buggy and rebuild it to your specifications alternative is a beetle and build to sva regulations then you pay road tax. Shortening a lwb officially means sva unless you build a manxster 2+2 lwb. Loads of info on the other threads here.

this user is offline Lesgrandepotato

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:58:56 PM
So, just for absolute newbie clarity.. the V5 needs to say beach buggy - then I can run a shorty chassis?

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 07:13:07 PM
Buggies have been correctly registered as many things over the years by DVLA and earlier by local town halls: buggy, convertible, 4x4 light utility, sports roadster, loads of things, all fine as that's what 'the man' deemed it to be on the day.

Any chassis shortened post 1999 must have been IVA or later SVA tested to be legally on the road.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:20:10 PM
you need to avoid a V5 that says saloon with provisos. Buggies got registered as all sorts in the days of local registration offices some got beetle convertible not ideal as you could buy a standard VW version, sports, special, home built kit, 4x4 or any buggy make are common but many got built and not registered as such so still show the original log book description.

the proviso is we have a V5 that shows make, invader beach buggy, year of reg 1971 but showing saloon body type, the last swb I rebuilt and sold had beetle 1200 but convertible under type, base car was 1964 reg and vin but on a 1969 registration date and plate.

The rules since 1998 state any new swb build or modified lwb floor pan buggy you had to go through iva test now sva test.

this user is online Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 08:15:14 PM
Just a note that the only authorised Meyers Manx kits (both Manx and Manxter) available in Europe at the moment are made by Auto Fibra in Portugal.

You may want to get your order in quick before we impose import tariffs on ourselves thanks to Brexit. You may just save £££.
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

this user is offline pepsi81

• Buggy Meister
  • Whitehaven, Cumbria
  • Purple GP 2
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 11:23:33 PM

My advice is to speak directly to Dave DND , Snoopy Manxdavid and others before taking the plunge 👍💋

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:50:59 AM
Have a read of Paul1953’s birth of a buggy build thread in members buggies as that is going for sva testing when built and you will see what is involved.

this user is online Dave DND

• Global Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • Paignton, Devon
  • Hustler GT
    • DND Services Ltd
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 10:45:13 PM
Any chassis shortened post 1999 must have been IVA or later SVA tested to be legally on the road.

;-)up
01803-391680
dave@dndservices.co.uk