Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 12:09:11 AM

Spark Plugs

This is a discussion for the topic Spark Plugs on the board Beach Buggy Engine and Exhaust Help.

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 1263 times)

this user is offline Hugh

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
on: August 16, 2020, 06:30:44 PM
Can anyone recommend either a source of decent (or half decent plugs), or just the model/type of plugs I should be seeking out for:

1] 1600 beetle engine

2] Type 4 engine

Snoopy tells me there was a Fake Britain (BBC1) program last week on rip off ngk plugs - but I suspect the whole spark plug market is riddled with crap stuff. As ever I don't mind paying a few quid more but not if its just over blown marketing.
Hugh

this user is offline Zip Buggy

• Buggy Meister
  • Bourne, Lincs
  • FF Buggy LWB
    • Zip Buddy
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:39:15 PM
Try the Green Spark Plug Company, Hugh.
A few have recommended it. The NGK plug to get for a type 4 2ltr is BP6ES or BP5ES.  The "P" denotes the more protruding centre electrode and because of the angle of the plug in a type 4 head there's loads of room. It means the spark happens a little further into the chamber.
I'll be interested to read what's recommended for a 1.6tp type 1.
Who needs prozac when you can drive a buggy?

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:39:32 AM
Thanks Mark. It looks an attractive, comprehensive and useful web site for more than just plugs.
Hugh

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:32:39 AM
I didn't know fake plugs were a thing, it's a good job I've been wire brushing and regapping the same old Champion L10s for 20 years now! ;D
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:03:34 AM
So David that begs the question - where can I buy some genuine Champion L10's ?

I already have a wire brush !
Hugh

this user is offline snoopy

• MBC Moderator
  • Buggy Fanatic
  • evesham. 07757010432
  • Kango ss/ Jas lwb
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 11:33:37 AM
Where I did on the net possibly evil bay oralike new old stock they come up every so often as garages and motor factors close and folks buy the stock including the old stuff. The first garage I worked at had stuff upstairs  in the stores 1972 to 78 I had my buggy light lenses from a 50’s jag and they supplied partsto a guy doing a 1928 Bedford wagon up. Keep m’ peeled as Shaw used to say.

this user is offline Merscury

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:44:51 AM
I can vouch for the fact that there are fake spark plugs out there, a couple of years ago bought a set of NGK plugs, one of them lasted all of a mile and a half, after some research and a close examination of the boxes I found they were fakes. I ended up cleaning and regapping my old plugs.  Then I spotted a box of new old stock AC Delco 45f plugs on ebay , they have turned out to be an excellent choice, from the packaging they look like they're from the late 70's or 80's.  Hugh I have looked but there aren't any of them on ebay at the moment, so all in all i haven't really helped
Have fun. Be lucky

this user is offline Manxdavid

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Queen
  • Anglesey, North Wales.
  • Meyers Manx UK-00-002
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:49:49 AM
So David that begs the question - where can I buy some genuine Champion L10's ?

I already have a wire brush !

They changed the number to L90 and/L86C about 30 years ago, mine are that old ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:51:51 AM by Manxdavid »
Photos printed on genuine ILFORD® paper.

"Ah, Beach Buggies, sure, just a quick cheap way of getting a few more years out of a rusty Beetle. You can throw one together in a weekend." anon.

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:51:00 AM
Paul you have helped as I now have 'AC Delco 45f' as another plug type that will work should I find such now I've been reminded to 'keep em peeled'.

L10's duly noted.
Hugh

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 01:20:15 PM
I don't know what Champion L86C  plugs are like but I've spotted 6 new old stock ones (complete with dust) on ebay for £16.99 and also a set of 4 for £9.99 again new old stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-genuine-Nos-Champion-Spark-Plug-L86C-Replaces-W12A-W7AC-W9A-B5HS-classic-car/283977382010

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Champion-L86C-Set-of-4-Spark-Plugs-NOS/353173325658

Have fun. Be lucky

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:27:51 PM
Really interesting Paul. I've Googled these plugs and they work on Beetle 1.6L (see below) so my Sidewinder is going to be running on these next time around.

Now you have come top of the spark plug Beetle 1.6 engine class wrt suggesting AND finding suitable plugs would you like to get another gold star in the Type 4 engine class ?!

Applications of Champion L86C
Brand   Model   Engine size   HP   KW   Year   Engine   # of cyl   Spark plug gap
BORGWARD   All Models                  0   0.7
PEUGEOT   403, 403B   12.7mm reach         1966-1967   X23, X24   0   0.6
VOLKSWAGEN   Beetle (air cooled)   1.2L thru 1.6L         1965-1976      0   0.7
VOLKSWAGEN   Fastback (Type 3)   1.5L,1.6L               0   0.7
VOLKSWAGEN   Kharmann Ghia   1.2L thru 1.6L         1965-70      0   0.7
VOLKSWAGEN   Kombi   1200cc,1300cc         reach   1/2   0   0.0
VOLKSWAGEN   Kombi   1200cc,1300cc         reach   1/2   0   0.0
VOLKSWAGEN   Kombi   1.6L         reach   1/2   0   999.9
Hugh

• Buggy Lord
  • Nottingham/Derby
  • Predator
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 10:05:46 PM
Well Hugh, the amount I know about the type 4 engine can be written on the back of a very very small postage stamp so you may want someone else to confirm this but I think maybe Bosch W8CC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Bosch-Spark-plugs-plug-x4-W8CC-W-8-CC/164221373213

Have fun. Be lucky

• Buggy Prince
  • North Herefordshire
  • Mantaray Mk II
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:10 AM
Again thanks Paul. Your steer is backed up by what I've now read about these particular plugs.

Spark plug Bosch W8 CC fits:
Type 1 engines 10.1992 and later
Type 4 engines
CT/CZ engines 1980 (engine nr. 065011) and later
Thread size: M14 x 1.25
Thread length: 19 mm
Wrench size: 21 mm
Gap: 0.8 mm
Heat range: 8
For each spark plug, the degree of heat is mentioned, a rule of thumb to determine which degree of heat you would need is as follows. With NGK, the higher the value, the colder the spark plug and with Bosch, the higher the value, the warmer the spark plug. You cannot compare the values with each other, NGK and Bosch have their own value system in which the heat level 5 of NGK is equal to the heat level 8 of Bosch.
Hugh

this user is online Doon L001

• Forum Moderator
  • Buggy Prince
  • Nr Leek Staffordshire
  • DOON LWB
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 11:53:57 AM
Oh for the days when you could walk into a shop and someone who knew what they were talking about could get you the right bits off the shelf.

No "computer days no", no pre pubescent kid telling you that the new type in plastic that can't be unwrapped with an industrial blowtorch is the best or else saying "not my aisle" while vacantly playing in his pocket.

The best were often characterized by grubby overalls, a rag hanging out of a pocket, grimy nails, a bit of rollup in their lips, no spots and the ability to grow stubble.

Ah those were the days

To be honest I'm with David, good originals can be persuaded to last an incredible time.  Hope I'm not speaking too soon but only plug I've ever had fail was a new one I fitted to my 105e, I always slung old bits in the boot so refitted originals and they stayed in there another 5 years plus
Dave - Doon LWB 1st one made  ;-)up Name "Weather Permitting"

this user is offline IDA

• Buggy Obsessed
  • CHICHESTER
  • Mk2 Rat and LDV
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 11:58:46 PM
Lucky each time I pop into gsf I would all ways buy bosch plugs so have 6 sets of German made plugs as now made in China and Russia! And 👎 champion made good plug in there day and can get old stock form garden machine shops.. I have been fitting PB5 NGK but they have gone down hill And I have been buying old stock off ebay but sellers use photos with German made and they are not  ..would all ways use W8ac and w7ac only time needed to play with heat was turbo or big engines If the plugs are going black its jetting or engine rebuild time..
I do not speak English well, please kindly give your patience to my wordy posts try to understand my words ... if there is anything wrong in my word's, do not take offense because what you see maybe not my true meanings.,,, Nuclear Convoy